Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: More crap  (Read 28984 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 08:25:36 »

As an aside, Kyle Knoyle went to Cambridge as he was offered another £10K above his Swindon money.

So an extra £100 a week assuming we offered him 2 years then, pretty standard stuff for lower league player negotiation.  They pushed out the boat a bit more as they wanted him more than we did.  Fair enough.  We likely paid Tyler roughly the same as what KK had been on for the past 2 years so if he works out it will be seen as good business by RW, squeezing as much as he can out of the budget he has been given, which is what we all want surely.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 09:11:04 »

So an extra £100 a week assuming we offered him 2 years then, pretty standard stuff for lower league player negotiation.  They pushed out the boat a bit more as they wanted him more than we did.  Fair enough.  We likely paid Tyler roughly the same as what KK had been on for the past 2 years so if he works out it will be seen as good business by RW, squeezing as much as he can out of the budget he has been given, which is what we all want surely.

It's a fair enough strategy, but a big element of risk.  Reid, will be like Knoyle 2 years ago, firstly concentrating on trying to show he's good enough to make it as a pro, which is fair enough, but ideally you want someone, who's already there and can concentrate more on the game winning stuff.

I guess it's inevitable when the budgie doesn't stretch to getting the necessary quality from 1 to 11.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 11:07:23 »

It's a fair enough strategy, but a big element of risk.  Reid, will be like Knoyle 2 years ago, firstly concentrating on trying to show he's good enough to make it as a pro, which is fair enough, but ideally you want someone, who's already there and can concentrate more on the game winning stuff.

I guess it's inevitable when the budgie doesn't stretch to getting the necessary quality from 1 to 11.

A post littered with impoderables* hurry up signings and new season

*no more than anyone else in this thread.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 11:46:05 by singingiiiffy » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 12:37:34 »

A post littered with impoderables* hurry up signings and new season

*no more than anyone else in this thread.

There's an easy way to check if the strategy of having a RB with next to no experience of league football pays off... let's look at our promotion seasons and check the level of our usual RB that season, I've seen them all.

So 62/63, Maurice Owen had played 550 odd games for Town.

68/69 Rod Thomas was in his 4th season.

85/86 Chris Ramsey... 2nd season at Town having played a couple for B and HA, including a Cup Final

86/87  ditto  + Dave Hockaday (highly experienced)

89/90 David Kerslake (several seasons at QPR)

92/93 Nicky Summerbee probably the least experienced but had a couple of seasons around the squad, playing a smallish number of games (35)

95/96  Mark Robinson... vastly experienced.

06/07  Jack Smith... had played 2 seasons with Watford and then a season at STFC

11/12  Paul Caddis... a season with STFC after a couple of seasons at Celtic and Dundee United on loan.

Straight away you can see that having a RB with at least a couple of seasons experience tends to pay off.... Knoyle had that. Tyler has 3 starts for Newport.

As with a lot of these things just because the evidence points that way, namely you're better off with a RB with at least some experience, it doesn't necessarily mean it can't work. It's just an indicator, and that's what we're looking for at this time of year.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 12:39:21 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 12:57:07 »

Shall we wait and see if Tyler Reid is our first choice right back before trawling the archives for stats are irrelevant?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:08:14 »

There's an easy way to check if the strategy of having a RB with next to no experience of league football pays off... let's look at our promotion seasons and check the level of our usual RB that season, I've seen them all.

<historical player stats>

As with a lot of these things just because the evidence points that way, namely you're better off with a RB with at least some experience, it doesn't necessarily mean it can't work. It's just an indicator, and that's what we're looking for at this time of year.

Just a hunch but could you not pick almost any position and come to the same conclusion?
You also want to start a young 20 year old goalkeeper over an experienced seasoned pro.
Do stats of promotion favour a young keeper with 5 league appearances?

you have already said
ideally you want someone, who's already there and can concentrate more on the game winning stuff.

does this change on player position? as goalkeeper over rb is where i would want to see my game winning stuff
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:08:29 »

Shall we wait and see if Tyler Reid is our first choice right back before trawling the archives for stats are irrelevant?

A good shout i think. Also, there's no way in the world any of Summerbee, Jack Smith or Cadds could be described as experienced. There's even an argument for lumping Kerslake in there too given he mostly played midfield for QPR i believe prior to joining us. I do appreciate he had some games under his belt though.
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:08:54 »

So 62/63, Maurice Owen had played 550 odd games for Town.

68/69 Rod Thomas was in his 4th season.

85/86 Chris Ramsey... 2nd season at Town having played a couple for B and HA, including a Cup Final

86/87  ditto  + Dave Hockaday (highly experienced)

89/90 David Kerslake (several seasons at QPR)

92/93 Nicky Summerbee probably the least experienced but had a couple of seasons around the squad, playing a smallish number of games (35)

95/96  Mark Robinson... vastly experienced.

06/07  Jack Smith... had played 2 seasons with Watford and then a season at STFC

11/12  Paul Caddis... a season with STFC after a couple of seasons at Celtic and Dundee United on loan.

Straight away you can see that having a RB with at least a couple of seasons experience tends to pay off.... Knoyle had that. Tyler has 3 starts for Newport.

Pointless post
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:17:03 »

Derby seemed to do alright this season playing a right back with little or no previous experience  Hmmm

Didn’t we bring a young striker in some 10 years or so ago with no league football experience, I’ve forgot his name...Charlie something?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:20:51 »

Wellens said he wants a keeper(full back)... for me Henry(reid) should start, sitting on the bench is no use to him, whereas LMc (another fullback) would be fine there.  If Henry (reid) buggers up then by all means change it.

Quite simply, at his age he will only get better by playing.... it used to be the case that keeper (full back) 2 could play in the Reserve side to keep up to speed, so not such a problem.  So stick him in and let's see if he's up to it...

contradiction of the highest?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:50:47 »

A good shout i think. Also, there's no way in the world any of Summerbee, Jack Smith or Cadds could be described as experienced. There's even an argument for lumping Kerslake in there too given he mostly played midfield for QPR i believe prior to joining us. I do appreciate he had some games under his belt though.

If you been around playing first team football for a couple of seasons somewhere, then you have just about got over the first hurdle of having to show you're capable of making the step up. 

This is the point being made, Knoyle has now done that in his career, ideally if the budget allowed, you'd have wanted to keep him, but we know Wellens reason for not wanting to use a chunk of his budget on a RB, preferring presumably to use it in spine positions.  It's understandable and may not be a problem, but the indicators are it's not ideal if you're serious about auto.  This isn't a surprise.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:55:58 »

contradiction of the highest?

I remember a young keeper of Henry's age coming in never having played a game, and winning promotion at the first attempt, and then doing so in a further 3, having had faith put in him.   Fraser Digby.

Mike Turner custodian for 62/63 had 7 league games under his belt.  These came at the back end of 61/62, which was the season after Sammy Burton had retired.

Phil Smith, who played most of 06/07 after Brez got injured ahd 5 league games to his credit at Millwall, Wise brought him in as number 2 as he knew him from there.

Wes Foderingham who kept goal in 11/12 had similarly to Digby not played a league game when he came, and went on to aid a promotion side in this case a Championship wimnning outfit.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:13:08 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:04:55 »

These keeper's presumably negotiated your "first hurdle" rule despite "the indicators" then?

Who would have thought it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:19:10 »

These keeper's presumably negotiated your "first hurdle" rule despite "the indicators" then?

Who would have thought it.

Not sure what your point is, but to go back to Iffy, the stats show that there are 4 seasons where the keeper has either had no league previous games or a handful.

So for me would indicate, that if Henry gets a chance and can show he's up to it, we could do OK.  Of course te showing he's up to it bit is key.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 14:25:35 »

I tried!!
Smiley some of this thread has got massively waylaid.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: