Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Most successful former stfc  (Read 8708 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 00:15:47 »

There's a few who have achieved, Hal Robson-Kanu springs to mind. He had a great World Cup recently.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 05:22:13 »

I'd suggest that Mike Summerbee should be up for consideration.

200+ Town appearances and then went on to win plenty of stuff with Manchester City and caps for England.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 07:32:53 »

I think we should only consider post STFC achievements here, Ossie did that a while before his days at SN1.

If you take post STFC and rule out loans it does narrow the field considerably.... Mike Summerbee would be the likely contender, Rod Thomas won the League and Paul Rideout won the Cup
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:15:21 »

Dave Mackay, is the only ex Town player to win the league as both player and manager.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:21:11 »

Herbert Chapman won 5 league titles as gaffer... making him joint 4th on the all time list.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:27:42 »

Steve McMahon won 3 league titles and 2 FA cups, including a double in 85/86... also our only manager to win Div 3 .

Of ex managers, both Les Allen and Dave Mackay won a double.  
« Last Edit: Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:34:30 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:53:50 »

Although we can count a CL winners and a WC winner as having worn the shirt, I don't think any Euro nations winner has ever done so.

Ray Clarke won Eredivisie in 78/79 after leaving Town via Mansfield. Glenn Hoddle won League Un 87/88.

PdC won Serie A in 95/96 with Meelan, and the UEFA Cup in 92/93
« Last Edit: Monday, June 10, 2019, 08:57:37 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 12:01:06 »

We have been quite blessed actually- i doubt many clubs in league 1 or 2 could have a similar discussion. Paul Ince all for his 3 appearances has a few gongs against his name.

Rory Fallon- sent new zealand to the world cup with a winning goal and played all 3 games in South Africa- undefeated including against italy
And will never be forgotten for that wonder goal he scored against the slavetraders.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #23 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 12:11:40 »

What about David Moss and Ian Miller, differently players to Milner but when it came to crosses...
Mossy and Miller were great crossers, IMO better than Sumerbee who just used to belt crosses into the near post at knee height, Miller and Moss could pick a strikers head out from 40+ yards. Animal Williams wasnt a bad crosser of the ball too come to think of it.

Bobby Barnes has a wicked cross on him as did Mark Walters and Paul Allen in the Muckmahon side.

Bodin had a cracking cross on him too when overlapping as did Kerslake as did Hockaday and Wayne O'Sullivan too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 12:15:14 »

Maybe not the most successful player regarding club success but one of the better players to have passed through this club must surely be John Moncur,  a midfielder we have never been able to replace.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 15:31:01 »

So if you take different criteria.... Carrick is the loan player with most trophies. Herbert Chapman is the ex player with most league titles as manager. Mike Summerbee is the most decorated to have left us and gone on. Steve McMahon would be the most decorated to come with the medals already in the bag. Dave Mackay is the only one to win league title as both player and manager, and Ossie Ardiles our only player toi have won the WC. (Nestor Lorenzo a losing finalist)
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 19:15:15 »

How many of those listed have a street named after them?  Arthur Horsfield must be the highest achiever.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 19:40:02 »

How many of those listed have a street named after them?  Arthur Horsfield must be the highest achiever.
Harold Fleming?

Sent from my SM-J330FN
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 19:58:44 »

Howard Fleming and Arthur Horsfield in the same bracket, but Howard Fleming edges it as Fleming Way goes into the Magic Roundabout.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 20:35:55 »

Colin Calderwood has to on the list surely. One of the few from the 1990 and 1993 sides to have a long top flight career and played for Scotland at the 1998 World Cup.

John Moncur was another to have a good PL career. Alan McLaughlin didn't have a top flight career but played in two World Cups. What about Paul Rideout, played in Italy for Bari and scored the winner in an FA Cup Final.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: