Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Most successful former stfc  (Read 8707 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:35:30 »

Whilst watching champs league final i was thinking about the above, got to be James Milner for trophies or am I thinking too recent  Hmmm

An guesses on the highest transfer free for a former stfc player?

*edit- on the subject of Milner although he only played a handful of games he was struggling at the time for Leeds and went back a completely different player and turned different gravy. His crossing was a dream. rivalled only by Ian Woan and Matt Ritchie imo
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:39:26 by singingiiiffy » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:48:12 »

You need to define your criteria more precisely.  Should loans count?  Should players who were at Town early, then went to to win things, be regarded differently to those who came to Town late in their careers.  What about the modern trend of giving medals to squad men, even if they didn't get on?

So for example David Geddis was part of a European Cup winning squad. What about winning things in say Scotland, does that carry the same ranking as in England?  Or say Ray Clarke winning things in Holland.

You'd think highest fee would be Matt Ritchie... Bormuff to Newcastle.... 12 mill
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:53:33 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:48:27 »

Whilst watching champs league final i was thinking about the above, got to be James Milner for trophies or am I thinking too recent  Hmmm

An guesses on the highest transfer free for a former stfc player?

*edit- on the subject of Milner although he only played a handful of games he was struggling at the time for Leeds and went back a completely different player and turned different gravy. His crossing was a dream. rivalled only by Ian Woan and Matt Ritchie imo

What about David Moss and Ian Miller, differently players to Milner but when it came to crosses...
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:52:27 »

Best crosser I ever saw in a town shirt was undoubtably Nicky Summerbee.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:57:05 »

Did Carrick win a CL with Utd?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:57:35 »

Eddie Howe surely.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:58:30 »

What about Peter Noble, 28 out of 28 penalties after leaving Swindon (Best in the world, claimed by some), or the legendary, Arthur Horsfield who converted to centre-half and had a street named after him (Horsfield Close, Dartford).
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:00:11 by Crozzer » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 20:59:15 »

If you count loans then Carrick would be far and away the most trophied... a CL, a Europa league, numerous domestic and a World Club gong.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:02:03 »

I had to check, I was sure he did, I was correct.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:04:55 »

Ossie Ardlies won the WC.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:10:14 »

I think we should only consider post STFC achievements here, Ossie did that a while before his days at SN1.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:34:18 »

You need to define your criteria more precisely.  Should loans count?  Should players who were at Town early, then went to to win things, be regarded differently to those who came to Town late in their careers.  What about the modern trend of giving medals to squad men, even if they didn't get on?

So for example David Geddis was part of a European Cup winning squad. What about winning things in say Scotland, does that carry the same ranking as in England?  Or say Ray Clarke winning things in Holland.

You'd think highest fee would be Matt Ritchie... Bormuff to Newcastle.... 12 mill

Whichever people would like to interpret, personally i think loans should count- as being a lower league club that's our main access to having great future players in our shirt- and that i referenced Milner.

Great shout on Carrick- exactly the same games as milner as well- for some reason I can't actually remember him playing for us only that i knew he did.

What about David Moss and Ian Miller, differently players to Milner but when it came to crosses...

Unfortunately for me i can only base around last 20 years at a push!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:40:58 »

Simon cox played at Euro 2012

Things get better but they never get good
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:41:32 »

Glen hoddle went on to manage England

Things get better but they never get good
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 21:46:22 »

We have been quite blessed actually- i doubt many clubs in league 1 or 2 could have a similar discussion. Paul Ince all for his 3 appearances has a few gongs against his name.

Simon cox played at Euro 2012

Rory Fallon- sent new zealand to the world cup with a winning goal and played all 3 games in South Africa- undefeated including against italy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: