Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Women’s World Cup  (Read 28974 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 11:52:40 »

Nothing wrong with VAR. It's the laws that need changing.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 13:55:13 »

I actually think this is quite funny:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48851152

It's close to July 4th, so expected, and please don;t tell me we are thin skinned enough to be annoyed, coming from a country that has fans singing about WW2 bombers when we play Germany!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 14:08:12 »

How can you be offended at that?!

Best (tasteful-ish) twitter comment I saw in response was - "she can use the same celebration for scoring againstHolland in the final"
Flashheart

« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 14:09:51 »

coming from a country that has fans singing about WW2 bombers when we play Germany!

Fair enough.

But can you imagine if England players pretended to be bombers (or whatever)?

Not that I'm at all fussed about what this American bird did, but it's not a good comparison.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 14:29:34 »

But can you imagine if England players pretended to be bombers (or whatever)?

A bit like that time JAF scored against Man U and their fans thought it was a Munich reference?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 14:29:58 »

More like smoking a cigar.  Smiley

That's a poor attempt to be honest, she's not even holding the saucer in her other hand  Grin

I'm always amused at the "Eurotrash" reference I've heard used by Yanks, generally the yanks with European ancestry.  
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 14:46:07 by 4D » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 14:36:47 »

A bit like that time JAF scored against Man U and their fans thought it was a Munich reference?

Something like that I suppose. A very disrespectful thing for a player (or anybody) to do. If that were the intention, anyway.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 16:13:07 »

How can you be offended at that?!
Has anyone actually been offended or is this just the usual media attempt to brand something "controversial" before it "provokes a furious reaction online" in the hope that it will then do so?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 16:14:26 »

I actually think this is quite funny:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48851152

It's close to July 4th, so expected, and please don;t tell me we are thin skinned enough to be annoyed, coming from a country that has fans singing about WW2 bombers when we play Germany!

Amusingly based on social media it only seems to have offended those who like to go on and on and on about liberal snowflakes being offended at everything!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 16:15:40 »

Has anyone actually been offended or is this just the usual media attempt to brand something "controversial" before it "provokes a furious reaction online" in the hope that it will then do so?

Its pissed Piers Morgan off which is undoubtedly a good thing, almost as much as its going to piss his buddy Trump off if he has to meet Megan Rapinoe at the White House....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 16:28:18 »

To be fair, I'd be amazed if many people actually knew what the tea thing was all about anyway, other than thinking it had to do with stereotyping the English as Tea Drinkers.

Flashheart - I think Bombers is a little more direct of an insult given it references the death of hundreds of thousands of civilians.  The tea drinking refers to an idea that lead to "freedom", if she'd been doing a Musket shooting, maybe a bit more closely aligned I guess.  I know the two are not the same, hence using it to frame this - we are hardly a people who should get offended in comparison.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 09:27:44 »

Well last nights game was a bit dull. I am no fan of Jonathan Pearces at the best of his times but him commentating to an audience who, I assume, he has decided need the basics of football explained to them is painful!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 09:50:02 »

I've watched a fair amount of the Women's World cup. It has (on the whole) been quicker and more technical than I thought it would be.

Yes, some of the play/mistakes are pretty basic, but no worse than we see week in week out at the County Ground.

USA seem to be head and shoulders above the rest so I firmly expect them to beat the Dutch in the final.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 10:21:40 »

Well last nights game was a bit dull. I am no fan of Jonathan Pearces at the best of his times but him commentating to an audience who, I assume, he has decided need the basics of football explained to them is painful!

His constant, the atmosphere/quality/passion etc was so much better in the England game and how them being in the final would make it so much better was tiresome

I come from a land down-under
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 10:24:50 »

Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: