Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The frozen budget (not rumours) thread  (Read 10222 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 07:16:37 »

Wellens now saying the budget doesn’t look good at the moment in terms of attracting players.

His idea of sorting out transfers early isn’t likely. The whole scenario is exactly the same as previous years.

If, indeed, Knoyle thinks he can get a better deal at Cambridge it’s a sad indictment. Surely it’s better to push the boat out a little for 2 players you know well then have to take a chance on unknowns.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 07:28:45 »

Wellens now saying the budget doesn’t look good at the moment in terms of attracting players.

His idea of sorting out transfers early isn’t likely. The whole scenario is exactly the same as previous years.

If, indeed, Knoyle thinks he can get a better deal at Cambridge it’s a sad indictment. Surely it’s better to push the boat out a little for 2 players you know well then have to take a chance on unknowns.
Great. So excited
Sir red ken

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 07:46:23 »

The fact is there isn't much money, lack of investment has seen performances decline and gates/revenue fall.
We have performed worse, year on year, under LP and despite all the big talk, most of our squad rebuilding will take place a week before the season starts with free's and loans. We may get a player or two like Nelson (please god) but building a quality team which has trained and is ready to go from the start isn't going to happen. Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll keep getting the same result.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 07:46:37 »

None of which is in any way a surprise.... we know how Power works, and to be fair I don't suppose he's been anything but up front with Wellens about it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 07:55:55 »

Wellens likes playing hardball as well. That’s going to work well or spectacularly kick him up the arse.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:03:16 »

Wellens likes playing hardball as well. That’s going to work well or spectacularly kick him up the arse.

At the end of the day, there are few jobs in FL management, and Wellens hasn't got much sucess on his CV so far, so he'll be happy enough to be in work.  Look at a fella like Flynn, has done a fine job at Newport in difficult circumstances, with probably similar resources to ours... you can imagine that someone further up the food chain might take him on.... Newport can have Pulis back.

That's the sort of thing Wellens has to try and do... raise our profile a bit.
Panda Paws

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:16:04 »

The quote actually says the budget is frozen from last year, which was competitive. It's positive that the budget hasn't been cut.

RW is preaching patience and commenting that clubs rushing in overpaying for players who have few options. It makes complete sense.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:17:57 »

If, indeed, Knoyle thinks he can get a better deal at Cambridge it’s a sad indictment.
Wasn't the interest the other way round? i.e. Cambridge looking at Knoyle, not seen anything to say he wants to go there (apologies if there has been and I've not seen it)
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:25:35 »

What he actually said:

At this moment, where we are with the window being so early, the budget isn’t looking so good.

The 'because' is important.

“Because it’s early, agents and players are asking for more money than what they deserve and what they will actually get.

“It’s about being patient and not rushing in.

So, no change really.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:32:18 »

Its May, even I'm not concerned.

Would be nice to have the core* of the squad together for day 1 of pre season. if not then I guess that's the time to get worried.

i.e. the 7 or 8 players Wellens thinks are key, but I guess that includes already contracted players
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:33:17 »

If the budget is the same as last year, which appears to be the case, but we have less players on the payroll as per RW's intention then I assume there would be a little more money to spend on wages, or am I being too optimistic?  Hmmm

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:34:22 »

Deliberately or otherwise, the adver has managed to put a spin on it, making out as though Power has suddenly changed his mind and Wellens now has less to work with. They could have said something along the lines of "Power has not cut the budget", but that would not be sensationalist enough for them.

We've known for months that the budget will be about the same as last season, though. Wellens is just explaining the difficulties of getting in players early.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:35:36 »

The quote actually says the budget is frozen from last year, which was competitive. It's positive that the budget hasn't been cut.

RW is preaching patience and commenting that clubs rushing in overpaying for players who have few options. It makes complete sense.

With inflation and price rises in fuel etc... a freeze is effectively a cut.
Flashheart

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:36:58 »

If the budget is the same as last year, which appears to be the case, but we have less players on the payroll as per RW's intention then I assume there would be a little more money to spend on wages, or am I being too optimistic?  Hmmm

This appears to be the plan. Quality over quantity.

We had a huge squad last season. 32(?) players
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 08:38:04 »

So no negative comment about the budget and no backtracking on previous plans then.

Amazing how many people confuse the words "as early as possible" with "before the end of May".
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: