Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yet another not transfer rumours thread.  (Read 9774 times)
Panda Paws

« on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:02:24 »

According to rumors, Carlisle have put a bid in for Jerry Yates who we're linked with.

See if we put our money where our mouth is.

I'd rather we put most budget on strikers as goals win games (obviously)

Oh god, now you've done it..... Reg incoming in 3..2..1..
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:04:20 »

Not in this thread he isn't.
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:09:08 »

Oh god, now you've done it..... Reg incoming in 3..2..1..

Bring it on! Haha
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:13:40 »

According to rumors, Carlisle have put a bid in for Jerry Yates who we're linked with.

See if we put our money where our mouth is.

I'd rather we put most budget on strikers as goals win games (obviously)

rumours..... clue in the thread title. Some posters on here try to maintain standards of English, rather than American.

Goals win games up to a point, but a very good defence can get more value for the goals you score.  Such an example would be our season in the Prem. Arsenal finished 4th, but only scored 6 more than us, however conceded 72 fewer.

I think given we'll have to more or less build a complete new back 4, and unless Diagouraga rises phoenix like, from the flames find a new defensive midfieder.... Wellens needs to focus on that before the front..  Notts had Hemmings last season who scored more than any of our front men, but a poor defence has taken them to the Conference.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:43:32 »

In 2008/2009 we had Cox and Paynter score 44 between them, but started the season with Casal, Ifil and Aljofree in defence...we almost got relegated.

Strikers only score goals if they get service, and you only win games if you stop the opposition scoring.

I would rather the budget is spread so we have a strong spine throughout.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:49:16 »

In 2008/2009 we had Cox and Paynter score 44 between them, but started the season with Casal, Ifil and Aljofree in defence...we almost got relegated.

Strikers only score goals if they get service, and you only win games if you stop the opposition scoring.

I would rather the budget is spread so we have a strong spine throughout.

Good points... Malpas was undone when his primary target Charflie Mulgrew, who subsequently has shown himself to very good, backed out at the point where he was at the club ready to sign.

Assuming that Wellens offer to Knoyle and Conroy was genuine and not just so that we can get some sort of fee.... having to rebuild more or less the entire back 4 might cause problems...
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 10:52:08 »

rumours..... clue in the thread title. Some posters on here try to maintain standards of English, rather than American.

Goals win games up to a point, but a very good defence can get more value for the goals you score.  Such an example would be our season in the Prem. Arsenal finished 4th, but only scored 6 more than us, however conceded 72 fewer.

I think given we'll have to more or less build a complete new back 4, and unless Diagouraga rises phoenix like, from the flames find a new defensive midfieder.... Wellens needs to focus on that before the front..  Notts had Hemmings last season who scored more than any of our front men, but a poor defence has taken them to the Conference.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good defence and we haven't had one in a while. We had a good run near the end of the season but always seem to concede.

To counter argue, we ended this season conceding the same amount (56 I think) as Bury and they finished 2nd and got promoted by scoring 20 odd more goals than ourselves (Maynard with 21). That is one key striker or two chipping in 10+ each which we didn't have.

We already have McCormick as a good solid number 1 (Henry and Matthews as back up) and potentially Conroy (cross fingers) and Broadbent as our CB and no recognised out and out striker. KW could be that but I'm not sure.

Therefore, that is why I say to concentrate and put more resource on a striker, who also command a bigger sell on fee if they're successful (business hat on). It does go hand in hand and I'm not saying we don't need to improve the defence, especially if Knoyle and Conroy don’t sign.

In regards to the spelling of rumours....apologies that I oversaw ONE minor error. Didn't know it would offend you so much.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 11:11:23 »

Don't get me wrong, I love a good defence and we haven't had one in a while. We had a good run near the end of the season but always seem to concede.

To counter argue, we ended this season conceding the same amount (56 I think) as Bury and they finished 2nd and got promoted by scoring 20 odd more goals than ourselves (Maynard with 21). That is one key striker or two chipping in 10+ each which we didn't have.

We already have McCormick as a good solid number 1 (Henry and Matthews as back up) and potentially Conroy (cross fingers) and Broadbent as our CB and no recognised out and out striker. KW could be that but I'm not sure.

Therefore, that is why I say to concentrate and put more resource on a striker, who also command a bigger sell on fee if they're successful (business hat on). It does go hand in hand and I'm not saying we don't need to improve the defence, especially if Knoyle and Conroy don’t sign.

In regards to the spelling of rumours....apologies that I oversaw ONE minor error. Didn't know it would offend you so much.

Whilst your Bury example is valid, in reality we're not going to be able to compete with them as they continue to spend money they don't have, so they can acquire these type of strikers.... they also had Beckford, who only played 1 game.

Maynard has gone for over 6 million his time, Beckford has a 3 mill price tag on his CV.... we're not in that sort of market.

My analysis of the situation is very much based on as things stand... things can change.   But as things stand, we have no RB, 1 CB who the manager didn't pick, another who's a kid with no experience, and no LB.  Further we have no defensive midfielder who is currently fit for purpose.

At the other end we have 2 of a front 3, and Twine as competition, and a midfielder in Doughty who can score goals.

If I was Wellens, I know where my priorities would lie.

Here's a whole thread on American English...

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55632.0
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 11:25:33 »

Whilst your Bury example is valid, in reality we're not going to be able to compete with them as they continue to spend money they don't have, so they can acquire these type of strikers.... they also had Beckford, who only played 1 game.

Maynard has gone for over 6 million his time, Beckford has a 3 mill price tag on his CV.... we're not in that sort of market.

My analysis of the situation is very much based on as things stand... things can change.   But as things stand, we have no RB, 1 CB who the manager didn't pick, another who's a kid with no experience, and no LB.  Further we have no defensive midfielder who is currently fit for purpose.

At the other end we have 2 of a front 3, and Twine as competition, and a midfielder in Doughty who can score goals.

If I was Wellens, I know where my priorities would lie.

Here's a whole thread on American English...

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55632.0

If we do lose Knoyle and Conroy, you have a fair point.

But if we don't lose them, we're only a LB away from a very respectable first choice back 5. Ok, a bit of cover is required, but recent evidence suggests that Knoyle can play 40 games and Conroy is over his injury. Plus Romanski should logically step up and offer reasonable cover at both CB and LB. So we really need to wait and see what happens with those 2 before we go and sign first choice CBs and RBs.

We have a few attacking options but, whatever happens, we do not have a target man and we do not have a striker. At the moment, I would be focusing on signing one of each. I appreciate that it'll only be one of each, and there's no margin for error - get either of them wrong and we're probably going nowhere again.
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 11:57:35 »

But if we don't lose them, we're only a LB away from a very respectable first choice back 5. Ok, a bit of cover is required, but recent evidence suggests that Knoyle can play 40 games and Conroy is over his injury. Plus Romanski should logically step up and offer reasonable cover at both CB and LB. So we really need to wait and see what happens with those 2 before we go and sign first choice CBs and RBs.

We have a few attacking options but, whatever happens, we do not have a target man and we do not have a striker. At the moment, I would be focusing on signing one of each. I appreciate that it'll only be one of each, and there's no margin for error - get either of them wrong and we're probably going nowhere again.

Spot on. If they don’t sign then I do agree, we do need to sort the defence first.

If they do then we are a left back away from a decent back 5. Broadbent was only dropped due to the partnership of Conroy and Woolf doing well.

I used Bury as an example. I wasn’t saying we have to overspend to do it.

From evidence KA and KW aren’t our 20+ strikers (are they even strikers?). I’d love to be proved wrong next season and we can’t just rely on Doughty who, when he is fit, is a class above League 2. There were a few times last season it would be 0-0 or we’d go 1 down and I just couldn’t see us scoring. Port vale and Crawley at home come to mind.

Just have to wait and see
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 13:52:08 »

The signals coming out at the moment suggests, they're both on their way.... Wellens set a deadline to sign and they haven't whether that was wise or not is moot, but saying things like I only want players who are commited etc, means it suggests these 2 aren't.  So we look at the 1000's of players list.

Of course it can change.... just as it stands interpretation.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 14:12:19 »

I'd suggest it is fair to assume Wellens will be bust focusing on signing players for position where he has no players.  If either go, we need a player in their position, so they'd be a priority.  A front man would also be one - regardless of whether we are talking a 5 goal a season plodder or a 20 goal a season wonder - we don't have one.  Fortunately for us, it's not a USA style draft system, so we can approach multiple players at the same time, crazy.
Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 14:16:07 »

Talking about going for a player, id honestly like to see Danny Rowe from Flyde as a punt. 20+ in the conference must be worth a punt, he is young as well?

Plus if he does well, thinking business wise, it may turn into a tidy profit to reinvest if another club comes sniffing.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 14:26:09 »

Talking about going for a player, id honestly like to see Danny Rowe from Flyde as a punt. 20+ in the conference must be worth a punt, he is young as well?

Plus if he does well, thinking business wise, it may turn into a tidy profit to reinvest if another club comes sniffing.

Cunt

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 14:26:28 »

Fortunately for us, it's not a USA style draft system, so we can approach multiple players at the same time, crazy.

When we do sign a player for position x, you can guarantee we'll have people moaning that we need players in position y. As though signing one prevents us from signing other players that we need.

Happens every year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: