Poll
Question: How do you intend to vote?  (Voting closed: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 16:00:47)
Conservatives - 4 (4.4%)
Labour - 6 (6.7%)
LibDem - 30 (33.3%)
Brexit Party - 23 (25.6%)
Change UK - 2 (2.2%)
UKIP - 1 (1.1%)
SNP - 0 (0%)
Green - 15 (16.7%)
Plaid Cymru - 1 (1.1%)
Not Voting - 8 (8.9%)
Total Voters: 80

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: European Elections 23rd May  (Read 30392 times)
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 10:23:14 »

Interesting.. was the treaty of Rome something that the country was asked about. Ted Heath took us into a common market not a mention about closer union.  So no one took notice of the 27% back in the day. If indeed Labour pushed the leave ticket strong enough.

The country has not been formally asked about leaving in a single question until 2016.

The view has changed over the years and rightly so the country was asked!

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 10:25:51 »

Thought this was reasonably interesting and balanced analysis from Lord Ashcroft's polling group:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/05/my-euro-election-post-vote-poll-most-tory-switchers-say-they-will-stay-with-their-new-party/

There are narratives in there for every party to be interested in and worried about, but particularly good on the flows from each party - nothing too stunning (Labour lost plenty to the Lib Dems, some to Brexit, and the Tories the opposite) but most depressing for the main parties being that the top reason for voting for them was simply inertia rather than thinking they were any good.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:15:12 »

Yes but if they have excess energy and need to sell it it's a buyers market. Can't see them saying no if you make an offer. In fact could well get a better deal. If we had not sold out our energy utilities and water we would be in a better place and not held to ransom. Remember we only voted for a common marker. Everything else has been agreed by governments of all colours without consultation. That's why the 2016 result happened. France gets over 60% of the agricultural budget so their farmers can do nothing then holds us to ransom on energy!! Very equal!!
France receives 16% of the agricultural budget, not 60%.  Why do you have to make up things to argue your case?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:22:52 »

Interesting.. was the treaty of Rome something that the country was asked about. Ted Heath took us into a common market not a mention about closer union.  So no one took notice of the 27% back in the day. If indeed Labour pushed the leave ticket strong enough.

The country has not been formally asked about leaving in a single question until 2016.

The view has changed over the years and rightly so the country was asked!

Yes. There was a referendum in 75, that having signed up to the T of R, provided the option of withdrawing. Previously the UK had been in EFTA, but this didn't provide the hoped for boost to the failing economy, so membership of the EU was sought. Famously UK's applications vetoed by De Gaulle, who felt the UK was merely the lapdog of the US.

Indeed views can change,  that's democracy.... and why there are advocates for a 3rd Ref. Further 2 components of the UK Scotland and NI voted to Remain in the EU, therefore should be granted their wish. Particluarly NI which will be particularly badly hit by no deal.

Here lies, the problem for you... you won but have no idea what it is you won other than to make most of us poorer and promote the interests of the likes of Farage, Johnson amd Rees Mogg.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:24:44 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 11:57:31 »

Assuming I am a brexit fan that is. The referendum was a UK vote and not divided into area's. If you go down that route then maybe the area's in England that voted remain need to have independence as well. Trouble is with this debate is that remainers will not accept the referendum result and are continually looking for reason/s to keep the UK in the EU
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 12:13:37 »

Assuming I am a brexit fan that is. The referendum was a UK vote and not divided into area's. If you go down that route then maybe the area's in England that voted remain need to have independence as well. Trouble is with this debate is that remainers will not accept the referendum result and are continually looking for reason/s to keep the UK in the EU

Again you just make stuff up.... there has been no effort to block the implementation of the June 16 vote.... rather the result has been honoured every step of the way.  The problem lies... and it's something that PaulD has tried unsucessfully to get an answer to from LL... what does Brexit actually mean, and how can it be delivered?

The Tories spent a couple of years or more, post Cameron with leading Brexiteers in prominent cabinet positions, and their negotiations came up with the current impasse.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 12:20:57 »

3rd time of asking: what does "leaving in a manner that serves the UK first" look like? Starting to think you don't actually know?

Oh, sorry, I don’t answer questions. Well to you anyway. 🤣🤣
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 12:27:24 »

Interesting...  Heath took us into a common market not a mention about closer union... !
Not just you, unfortunately, but why, oh why make things up? Or perhaps it is easier just to keep moving the agenda?

Ted Heath, 1973:

The community which we are joining is far more than a common market.  It is a community in the true sense of that term.

It is concerned not only with the establishment of free trade, economic and monetary union...with social issues - environmental questions, working conditions in industry, consumer protection, aid to development areas and vocational training.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 13:03:18 »

Oh, sorry, I can’t answer questions, I just spout rhetoric
FIFY
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 13:07:05 »

Quote from: Legends-Lounge
Oh, sorry, I don’t answer questions. Well to you anyway. 🤣🤣

Can we call you Nigel?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 19:12:57 »

Can we call you Nigel?

You can call me what the fuck you like Mr. Batch. I can tell you this with confidence, you could not call me something I have never been called before. I’ll also add that I doubt that judging by what everyone on here says and how they behave they’ve not been called the same. 😁
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 19:24:48 »

3rd time of asking: what does "leaving in a manner that serves the UK first" look like? Starting to think you don't actually know?

You’ll have to forgive me Mr. Pauld. I don’t normally bother reading what you post TBH. Though I thought it may be a good laugh to catch up with your diatribe and I now understand the pot kettle comment, my bad... you must be fucking livid that I didn’t jump up to attention and answer your pot kettle comment. Well to be honest I was as you know not talking about you, to you or referring to you so jog on.

However, being the reasonable chap that I am, no, seriously I am. I will leave you with this. Leave means leave, not some half arsed yoghurt knitting mealy mouthed, backscrating bend over and fuck my country and we’ll pay you for the privilege kind of a deal. Hopefully that puts the matter to bed. I do so hope you have a nice week.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 20:31:21 »

Leave means leave, not some half arsed yoghurt knitting mealy mouthed, backscrating bend over and fuck my country and we’ll pay you for the privilege kind of a deal. Hopefully that puts the matter to bed.
Doesn't answer the question any more than "Brexit means Brexit". I'll assume you don't know what you actually want then.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 09:33:07 »

Given the match tonight... I was thinking it would be a golden opportunity for the UK to use a bit of soft power, and get negotiating a Brexit trade deal with oil rich Azerbaijan... OK, they've a dodgy human rights record, but sometimes you have to hold your nose.

Seems though we already have one through the EU, so in fact we 'll have to negotiate the closing down of that deal, and try and find a new deal which will be more advantageous to the UK and the Azeris. Perhaps one of our resident Brexiteers might explain how that will look  Hmmm

I guess something like this might be he answer....

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 09:59:38 »

However, being the reasonable chap that I am, no, seriously I am. I will leave you with this. Leave means leave, not some half arsed yoghurt knitting mealy mouthed, backscrating bend over and fuck my country and we’ll pay you for the privilege kind of a deal. Hopefully that puts the matter to bed. I do so hope you have a nice week.

I assume leave means leave, means brexit means brexit so basically nothing of substance in the real world?

However if you are pushing the leave with no deal angle so loved by those who haven't really though about the consequences, a little poser for you.

As it stands c.44% of our exports go to the EU and c.53% of our imports come from there, now unless you are proposing that we give up a very large percentage of our exports and accept the employment chaos that would cause and the majority of our imports a lot of which is food, we are going to have to reach some manner of trade deal with the EU going forward.

Does it not cross your mind that the first thing they are going to say in order to open those negotiations, taking note of the size of their market and the size of ours, are;

1. what about that money you still owe us?
2. what about the rights of EU citizens in the UK?
3. what are you planning to do about the Irish border?

And when we provide satisfactory answers to them, then we may talk?

As for who is fucking the country, it looks remarkably like the Brexiteers are doing that?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: