Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Play Offs  (Read 34145 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:38:16 »

And 12 didn't....
12 of the 7?😒
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:38:59 »

12 of the 7?😒
Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:48:24 »

So, if I have this right... some people are saying that having a player that will score more goals than others will increase their team's chance of being successful?

Bear with me if I'm being slow, it's a difficult concept to grasp.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #18 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:53:57 »

So, if I have this right... some people are saying that having a player that will score more goals than others will increase their team's chance of being successful?

I think I may have missed something somewhere too. I thought that made perfect sense, but as I say I must be being Thicky McThick.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:55:15 »

Tbf, I think Reg is trying to say that having 3 players scoring 10 each is better than 1 scoring 30. So as the chances are low of picking up a prolific striker in L2 Wellens needs to improve Anderson and Woolery’s goal return.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:58:17 »

Horses for courses. We had a worse side over all back then than we do now. With 20 goals extra this season we would have got automatic promotion.

Cox scored 29 of our 68 goals, without his goals we would have been relegated with THE lowest goals total in the whole league of just 39 goals.....Cox saved us from relegation almost single handedly.

This season if we havd Cox score 29 goals then we would have scored 85 goals, more than anybody in this division....Cox (or similar) would have got us promoted.

Its really not rocket surgery to see that is it? or am I being Thicky McThick?

If only football was that simple... if you look at total goals scored, for example, you see that Franchise got 71 for 3rd place and had a couple of goalscorers in Aneke and Agard. However Carlisle and Oldham both managed 67, pretty similar to Franchise, Oldham had Lang on 13, they finished below us, and Carlisle had Hope on 14, the same as Kane Hemmings for Notts, they went down.

Your analysis would be better off, looking into the effectiveness of goals scored in terms of points won.... by which I mean, you can get goalscorers whose figures often include good days when they rattle in a few in a game which is already effectively won., so they may get 20, with a number of peripheral goals, whereas someone who scores perhaps 8 may have got those all as winners in close games.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:03:22 »

Tbf, I think Reg is trying to say that having 3 players scoring 10 each is better than 1 scoring 30. So as the chances are low of picking up a prolific striker in L2 Wellens needs to improve Anderson and Woolery’s goal return.

Exactly... it's to be hoped that K and K might have minds focused by being out of contract in 2020.... what might be termed the Billy Paynter effect... get yourself a good year, and so secure a lucrative free up the food chain.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:05:47 »

Almost as difficult as 12 out of 7?
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:09:50 »

This is fun! 

So, if I've got it right, some goals scored are superfluous.  If so, what a good thing that 'goal difference' (or, even, 'goals scored') never have any significance.  Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:12:44 »

If only football was that simple... if you look at total goals scored, for example, you see that Franchise got 71 for 3rd place and had a couple of goalscorers in Aneke and Agard. However Carlisle and Oldham both managed 67, pretty similar to Franchise, Oldham had Lang on 13, they finished below us, and Carlisle had Hope on 14, the same as Kane Hemmings for Notts, they went down.

Your analysis would be better off, looking into the effectiveness of goals scored in terms of points won.... by which I mean, you can get goalscorers whose figures often include good days when they rattle in a few in a game which is already effectively won., so they may get 20, with a number of peripheral goals, whereas someone who scores perhaps 8 may have got those all as winners in close games.
You seem to be saying that categorically don't need a 20 goals striker no matter what or where we are in the table.

I am saying that our chances of promotions would be massively increased if we have a 20 goals striker.

I think thats pretty simple.

Yes of course we could get promotion without one, but surely having one in the team to supply another 20 goals a season would be a benefit to the rest of the team and our league position.

Is that not clear enough, honestly? I think you are arguing for the sake of an argument.

When even the manager says he wishes we had a striker who could score 20 goals but only you disagree with him saying that would be a bad thing, which is what your arguement comes over as, then I am afraid you are pretty much on your own. That is unless you actively want us to fail and not get promoted? turning every positive into a negative at every turn.

At no point has anybody ever said that we definately won't get promotion without a 20 goal striker, all we have ever said is that promotion would be far easier with one, yet you ar sayign we definately don't need one when even the manager of the actual team says we do.

OK then.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:20:59 »

This is fun! 

So, if I've got it right, some goals scored are superfluous.  If so, what a good thing that 'goal difference' (or, even, 'goals scored') never have any significance.  Smiley

Consider when Yeovil won 6-0  at Rodney Parade... ideally they might have preferred to use say 4 of the goals in other games and settled for a nice 2-0... if the 4 came in key games... of course it's all speculation but it seems to me that some goals are more important than others.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #26 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:30:17 »

Back to the original thread.

Mansfield away following last night just 286 thats utterly appalling for a 167 mile trip.

I bet even Vegan Rovers will get more tonight at Tranmere a trip of 155 miles each way.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:30:50 »

Goals win games.

True story.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:43:03 »

You seem to be saying that categorically don't need a 20 goals striker no matter what or where we are in the table.

I am saying that our chances of promotions would be massively increased if we have a 20 goals striker.

I think thats pretty simple.

Yes of course we could get promotion without one, but surely having one in the team to supply another 20 goals a season would be a benefit to the rest of the team and our league position.

Is that not clear enough, honestly? I think you are arguing for the sake of an argument.

When even the manager says he wishes we had a striker who could score 20 goals but only you disagree with him saying that would be a bad thing, which is what your arguement comes over as, then I am afraid you are pretty much on your own. That is unless you actively want us to fail and not get promoted? turning every positive into a negative at every turn.

At no point has anybody ever said that we definately won't get promotion without a 20 goal striker, all we have ever said is that promotion would be far easier with one, yet you ar sayign we definately don't need one when even the manager of the actual team says we do.

OK then.

Always happy to try and clarify the position..... it is obvious that the more you score the more chance you have of winning games, and that having a 20+ man can be a help.  It's also obvious that it isn't a perfect correlation, as shown by say the Franchise/Oldham discrepancy.  Further, there are examples of teams with 20 goal men who don't do well, and examples in our Div like Lincoln, who do well without one.

It's also the case, that they're difficult to find... there were 4 in Div 4. Oxford have had 2 in their history. The manager saying he wants one, is neither here or there, I'm sure every gaffer in Div 4 would say the same. 

So what is the likely reality?  Will Power on the back of Wellens saying he'd like a 20 goal man, sanction going and buying a proven Div 4 scorer?  Don't see it... therefore we have to look at a different strategy, as evidence suggests you can go up by this method.

For example I've used the 06/07 campaign of having front numbers, to rotate and use off the bench, added to a couple of 10 goal men, who for us would ideally be Keshi and Kaiyne.

This strategy of course, anticipates a number of key goals from unusual sources like Joe Romanski's air shot winner v Tranny.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 11:43:15 »

Remember no-one has more time to argue the toss than Reg, ever.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: