Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Notts County pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 25984 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 19:12:16 »

Don’t sing ‘Swindon’s a shit hole’ and then take offence when the game/games turn and you get given a bit back. It’s football, it happens, fans take the piss out of one another.
I thought their supporters starting a chant as the Roll of Honour was being read out was a pretty shit thing to do.  So fuck 'em, they deserved taunting.  They have gone down as over 46 games they were not good enough, spent a big wedge but its come back to bite them!  Hopefully they will be back in 2020-21, but we will be in a league above them by then . . . now where did I put my coat!!
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 19:14:16 by ronnie21 » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 20:23:26 »

also a bit of frustration at their penalty dive. Don't mind losing to them, but not by cheating.

As it is it made sod all different, I'm sorry they went instead of Mac but c'est la vie
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 20:49:21 »

I thought their supporters starting a chant as the Roll of Honour was being read out was a pretty shit thing to do.  So fuck 'em, they deserved taunting.  They have gone down as over 46 games they were not good enough, spent a big wedge but its come back to bite them!  Hopefully they will be back in 2020-21, but we will be in a league above them by then . . . now where did I put my coat!!
Next to your orange hat?
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 20:52:10 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 20:52:46 »

Can we have a bit more about McGilp and Curran please? Not sure Curran was on the pitch long enough. But some of the comments about McGilp seemed positive.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 21:05:20 »

er, I don't really remember much, so McGilp can't really have impressed me.

But then again first league game, can't really judge at all.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 21:13:58 »

McGlip looked interesting, seemed a bit slow at times but won a few headers and played a couple of decent balls. Curran didn’t have enough time to make too much of an impression, apart from one moment where he stopped an attack on the edge of the box.

Did Power say anything interesting on the radio before the game?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 21:37:15 »

Next to your orange hat?
soapy tit wank
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 21:43:28 »

Can we have a bit more about McGilp and Curran please? Not sure Curran was on the pitch long enough. But some of the comments about McGilp seemed positive.

As other have said McGilp appeared to have a bit of potential, although he may need to check up on the laws of the game!!  Their speedy right winger looked to be away but he caught him, run out of ideas and gave him an almighty shove in the back!!  Lucky not to get a yellow on debut.  Was it not him who burst into the area and was well placed, but saw Matty Taylor running into the box and tried to square it for a farewell goal?  Whoever it was would have been a nice gesture if it had come off.  Never really noticed Curran.  One of those two came from Brum if i remember correctly but where did the other come from?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 21:49:15 »

Interestingly it raises a question that I have had over the years with a number of football fans from various clubs in different divisions. That being, could a pep or Jose type of high profile top tier manager in our country or any other European country make a success of being dumped into a bottom tier club at the bottom of their league and make a fist of it?

I would say Pep could.  There is something about him.  I know he has had a silver platter served to him with teams but he takes it further.  Really good teams are scared of his teams with equal funding and he manages to get his team to dominate really good teams.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 5, 2019, 17:58:42 by RobertT » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 21:53:52 »

McGlip is worth another look.  Won every header he went for, looked to have a bit of drive about him, but too little time to make much of a judgement.  I thought Bennett was shit after 3 games, turns out he was great and shit in equal measure.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #175 on: Sunday, May 5, 2019, 06:47:22 »

I liked the look of McGilp, he has pace hes a big unit and can tackle and also pass a bit, looked handy at this level to me, as for Curran hes a massive unit but didn't get anywhere near the ball when he came on.

McGilp I think will play next season in the Carroll role which he did fairly well for his debut, he made 2 decent defensive headers, set up 2 attacks with his passing and beat the rubbish Boldwijn for pace starting off 10 yards behind him at one point and took the man and ball out of play.

Definately bed him in gradually next season, must be about 6 foot 1 but fairly thin but certainly no lightweight, Curran is about 6 foot 1 too and a solid lump built more like Conroy than Woolf.

I thought Bennett was shit after 3 games, turns out he was great and shit in equal measure.
Exactly, he is the best player on the pitch at times and the worst at others, often in the same game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, May 5, 2019, 07:24:31 »

As other have said McGilp appeared to have a bit of potential, although he may need to check up on the laws of the game!!  Their speedy right winger looked to be away but he caught him, run out of ideas and gave him an almighty shove in the back!!  Lucky not to get a yellow on debut.  Was it not him who burst into the area and was well placed, but saw Matty Taylor running into the box and tried to square it for a farewell goal?  Whoever it was would have been a nice gesture if it had come off.  Never really noticed Curran.  One of those two came from Brum if i remember correctly but where did the other come from?
Think McGilp was Brum and Curran Southend

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, May 5, 2019, 07:35:08 »

Seems obvious that what did for us was the number of drawn games (16). Only lost 1 more game than MK and Tranmere.

There are different ways to look at drawn games and most of ours are those we should really have won - Yeovil, Oldham, Lincoln, Crawley all spring to mind.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, May 5, 2019, 07:40:25 »

I'm hopeful there are a few twists and turns. I expect Notts County to start frantically and fade away.

I'm looking for Notts County take the lead and Cambridge score at Macclesfield - madness in the away end and all that. Then news of an equaliser at Moss Rose and witnessing the deflated away end go through it all again.

Well you certainly got your drama.  Apart from madness in away end bit; they were pretty quiet although never easy to generate atmosphere on Stratton Bank.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, May 5, 2019, 07:56:44 »

We were the better of two poor teams.  Nice to see Taylor come on and get a good hand.  Left before end so don't know whether repeated at end.

Bizarre display from County.  At half time anyone unaware of their position would have assumed it was two mid table teams going through motions in end of season stroll.

Thought our penalty shout in first half was a definite foul.  No-one agreed with me at the time, probably because he made such a meal of it. Their's was soft but you could see there was an arm in the back.

Our second goal neatly encapsulated Notts County's season.  Great finish but comical defending.

Agree with PV & others re their outraged "how dare they take the piss!".  There were a few drunk town fans at corner of DRS really winding them up but basically they started it with the "Swindon shithole" bit.  And Nottingham is hardly the Florence of the East Midlands.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: