Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Evening with Di Canio  (Read 7459 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 20:17:51 »

4th September at Swindon MECA if anyone is interested
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 29, 2019, 20:34:39 »

Will he be showing off his stfc tattoo?
Combe Up

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 03:49:33 »

Do not miss this! His 'Evening with...' at the CG when he was manager was priceless!!!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 05:52:51 »

FAO Lee Power
Panda Paws

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 07:16:51 »

Cringe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 11:57:34 »

What's he been up to since leaving Sunderland?  He's been uncharacteristically quiet.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 12:01:02 »

He went back to Italian television...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/14/sky-sport-italia-suspends-paolo-di-canio-after-showing-dux-tattoo
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 12:51:24 »

What's he been up to since leaving Sunderland?  He's been uncharacteristically quiet.

Wheels fell off, he fell out with the players and got sacked from the Mackems. Then as noted gone back to punditry, looks to have applied for the Bolton job previously and also Rotherham twice, he had a good record with us and even at Sunderland his win rate was not dreadful, but for whatever reason no one fancies him. 
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 12:59:50 »

but for whatever reason no one fancies him. 

Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 14:30:02 »

Definitely a manager who got the most out of his players and to a level of fitness beyond L2 & L1. Yes he spent money and made rash decisions. You can see what he was trying to build (in essence a squad capable of competing in the Championship), so fucking close. It was a more calculated gamble than just throw enough shit at it and some will stick. The difference with PdC as a manager, no player would fuck with him. That's easier at L2&L1, the higher up the pyramid you go, egos clash as he found out and it takes a different kind of manager to handle that. PdC couldn't handle not having control. In the end it went against him not only in player management but in boardroom management. He wanted to control it all.

Would still take him here as manager again. Could he do it with a "lower-than-last-time" budget? Maybe he fancies another go and for sure, he enjoys the attention of "Big fish - Small pond" mentality because it will be all about him. I'd say, let it be all about him. If it were to bring us a title and a good cup run (in two cups), followed by a serious title challenge the season next. We were spoilt but fuck, I think many of us crave a chunk of that purple patch, being hated by others (for being good) and such like.

I always felt he had unfinished business here. Like beating Oxford, for one!

FFS, I just took myself back to "that day" v Port Vale. County Ground packed, scarves aloft, spooky deep chants of "ESS TEE EFF CEE" ringing dulcetly around the stadia. To the respected lengthy silence of all those with associations to the club, no longer with us. A 5-0 bashing of the not so valiant, Valiants. When we didn't even need it. It became an expectation and regardless of players personal thoughts about the manager - they did respect him and they respected the shirt they were in. For that short couple of years, football was back. The pride, the passion, the positivity and it was being played at my club.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Panda Paws

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 14:47:34 »

Definitely a manager who got the most out of his players and to a level of fitness beyond L2 & L1. Yes he spent money and made rash decisions. You can see what he was trying to build (in essence a squad capable of competing in the Championship), so fucking close. It was a more calculated gamble than just throw enough shit at it and some will stick. The difference with PdC as a manager, no player would fuck with him. That's easier at L2&L1, the higher up the pyramid you go, egos clash as he found out and it takes a different kind of manager to handle that. PdC couldn't handle not having control. In the end it went against him not only in player management but in boardroom management. He wanted to control it all.

Would still take him here as manager again. Could he do it with a "lower-than-last-time" budget? Maybe he fancies another go and for sure, he enjoys the attention of "Big fish - Small pond" mentality because it will be all about him. I'd say, let it be all about him. If it were to bring us a title and a good cup run (in two cups), followed by a serious title challenge the season next. We were spoilt but fuck, I think many of us crave a chunk of that purple patch, being hated by others (for being good) and such like.

I always felt he had unfinished business here. Like beating Oxford, for one!

FFS, I just took myself back to "that day" v Port Vale. County Ground packed, scarves aloft, spooky deep chants of "ESS TEE EFF CEE" ringing dulcetly around the stadia. To the respected lengthy silence of all those with associations to the club, no longer with us. A 5-0 bashing of the not so valiant, Valiants. When we didn't even need it. It became an expectation and regardless of players personal thoughts about the manager - they did respect him and they respected the shirt they were in. For that short couple of years, football was back. The pride, the passion, the positivity and it was being played at my club.

On reflection, the guy was a cock. I'd rather no success than that success.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 14:52:24 »

I make no apologies for fucking loving the PDC days.

he is a cock though
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 14:56:10 »

It was fun while it lasted, would like to see another nutter at the helm at some point.

But, yeah, he was a cock.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 15:02:31 »

Yes he spent money and made rash decisions. You can see what he was trying to build (in essence a squad capable of competing in the Championship)

Nope, based on his time here he would have needed £150m+ to do that!

I think the rest of your post sums up his problem getting a new job, needed silly money to succeed here and not got the temperament to succeed at a bigger club due to his ego, ultimately there are managers out there who could get you out of the basement for about a 1/3 of the cost and without the baggage, plus there will always be the suspicion that the wheels could falloff at any moment, so why would a chairman take that risk?

Did I enjoy the rollercoaster - yes, do I now realise that if he had stayed it could have gone badly wrong financially - yes! It was a period of our history that was fun to live through (on the footballing side obviously), but it was never going to last nor be sustainable.

As for the last paragraph probably better to copy and paste that to the Facebook group, that's more their sort of thing!  Wink

I concur that he is indeed a cock and if anyone goes to the event thingy, ask the lying twat to show you his STFC tattoo!

Christ £32, for an extra £30 you can have a picture with him as well! http://www.mecaswindon.co.uk/events-tickets/2019/september/an-evening-with-paolo-di-canio/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 15:07:00 by horlock07 » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 15:17:52 »

As for the last paragraph probably better to copy and paste that to the Facebook group, that's more their sort of thing!  Wink

Yes, I'm well aware of where that kind of paragraph belongs  Soapy Tit Wank but in all honesty, in that very moment it was special and it did feel like everyone belonged and was together. The spending, not sustainable - yes but the on field and supporter togetherness was real. I'm not sure if we can get it to that kind of level again. It can be done and it doesn't cost anything financially. Even in the shitty times, I still want us (while voicing our concerns) to be proud of our club. There is an element of our fan base that seems to go watch the Town as a place of mediation. To vent their own personal anger and frustrations. They aren't interested in how Town do. If we are shit, it gives them further excuse to be like that. Not healthy for anyone - not continually.

Anyway. £30 is a bit steep for that. I saw  Stiff Little Fingers (with Eddie & The Hotrods) for less than that. Playing in Gloucester on 21st August for anyone interested £25ish.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: