Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 31808 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:23:30 »

Well Reg, I agree with a lot of what you say. I guess I saw the reduction to 20 as a sign we were maybe breaking the wage structure and upping it a bit, thus making us more attractive.

I have no idea how slagging McG puts him in the shop window. I guess scouts are savvy enough to ignore anything that a manager says and look at the player themselves.

There may well be a Conference, or bigger Conference S, who would take Jermaine... after all Ricky Shakes has had 400 odd games mostly at that sort of level and at 34 as far as I know still going.  It will depend whether he wants to sit on his arse or play.

We haven't got the large squad by strategy, but rather churn... new manager wants new players, then change and incoming doesn't rate them, wants his own... repeat.  So those players will have been recruited at the sort of money we'll be paying next season, assuming Power doesn't trim the budget, but keeps it as it is.

Jewell is going to be key in this..as Reeves pointed out, Jan recruitment wasn't too bad... certainly we picked up a bit as a consequence.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 12:33:48 »

I presume he means 20 of ‘our’ players bolstered by the usual 5 loanees.

That's what I read into it as well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 14:33:45 »

That's what I read into it as well.

Trouble is the standard of journalism in the Adver is so poor, that you have to be careful constructing anything on the back of it.  This is even ignoring any attempt at interpretation and assumming the quoting of Wellens is accurate.

For example, one of Wellens points was that our better players were the loanees.... presumably he said that next season he wanted our own players to be the better players.  Thast's not what was written yeserday... it was repeated as next seson he again wants our better players to be the loanees.
Panda Paws

« Reply #318 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 16:43:45 »

Rule 1 with the adver - don't read into it all. Listen to RW's press conferences and make your own judgments, rather than reading a quotes piece in that rag 4 days later.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 17:09:30 »

Given the Adver couldn't tell the (rather important) difference between "parts" and "departs" in the headline, I'd say PP's advice is solid. All they print is a garbled version of the BBC interview and they can't be trusted to get that right.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 17:17:14 »

Given the Adver couldn't tell the (rather important) difference between "parts" and "departs" in the headline

Somebody corrected the journalist on this error on Twitter.

I sympathise with their current situation but the reply was a little OTT...

"Yep correct! Mistakes happen, and will continue to happen amid cuts - tricky to go a couple of days without making an error when you have to attend, drive, write, sub, web, photograph & promote stories daily. Plus we have weekly deadlines to hit etc."
Flashheart

« Reply #321 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 17:53:52 »

A couple of days? This lot struggle to go a couple of sentences without an error. Given my line of work, I think the odd typo should be forgiven but their amount of errors is unforgivable.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 17:59:27 »

Never been the same since they moved to fucking Oxford.
Panda Paws

« Reply #323 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 21:18:29 »

A couple of days? This lot struggle to go a couple of sentences without an error. Given my line of work, I think the odd typo should be forgiven but their amount of errors is unforgivable.

Number of errors. Forgivable, as you say.
Flashheart

« Reply #324 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 21:25:01 »

Number of errors. Forgivable, as you say.

Yep. If I were paid to post here then I would proof my posts. I also wouldn't post after having had a few.

I know it is difficult. It is common knowledge that the brain automatically corrects mistakes so they don't get noticed. I often find myself skim-reading pieces without realising, and then have to go back and start again. Then, when I try to focus on spelling and grammar, I find myself focusing on individual words rather than the meaning of the sentence.

I know how difficult it is.

But the numbers of errors from the adver is still not acceptable.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 05:23:36 »

BBC is as bad. The education tables say over the last 10 years students leaving school and uni are brighter than ever. Utter fiddle, and it's getting worse.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 12:27:10 »

Adver at it again in a piece about Wellens moaning about players being complacent.

Twice using ‘personal’ instead of ‘personnel’.

Spell checker is all well and good but it can’t decipher context.
Flashheart

« Reply #327 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 12:33:17 »

Grammarly picks it up, and it's free to use:

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 12:52:10 »

The Newsquest websites are awful and to be avoided if possible.

Was recently picked out as part of a national survey on sport and recreation habits etc.
The questioner who popped round was Jon Murray, former reporter on STFC at the Adver post Clive King. A thoroughly nice bloke, but is now a freelancer concentrating mainly on that lot at the other end of the A420.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: