Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 31804 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 12:09:34 »

We're mid table Reg. We've lacked consistency but have stayed up by the skin of our teeth. Surely even in your world can find someone?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 12:20:35 »

We're mid table Reg. We've lacked consistency but have stayed up by the skin of our teeth. Surely even in your world can find someone?

Often in a disappointing season the keeper gets some votes... however I think even previous Vigs apologists have given up on him.

Knoyle has been steady, but not really done much, and Michael Doughty hasn't played too often which holds his candidature back.

I've liked Woolf, but you don't want a loan being PotY.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 13:49:45 »

So if e got Carroll and we sign up Rose, add in Doughty you probably need one more for the central slots and get rid of everyone else on the books/off the books this summer.  I'd like to think we'd try and fill that fourth slot with a player with a bit physical presence and some legs on them - Rose can sit and dictate, Carroll is niggly but can ping a ball, Doughty is all about the creative so release him.  Add in that athletic type of player and you have a good mix - a younger version of Dave really (he may still be here and be fit, I doubt it though).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #303 on: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 15:02:39 »

Well Bennett has thrown his hat in the ring about a perm transfer.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17597959.swindon-town-loanee-kyle-bennett-admits-he-would-be-interested-in-turning-his-loan-deal-into-a-permanent-one-in-the-summer/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 08:53:32 »

As long as he is limited to the centre of the pitch, might be a good buy?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 08:56:12 »

If I'm honest I'm not sure I know what a good buy is any more. We are in division 4, we probably don't pay stunning wages. What is a good buy?!

I think my expectations are too high.

Bennet has done well in some games, not so well in others. Seems OK to me
Peter Venkman

« Reply #306 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 09:09:55 »

If I'm honest I'm not sure I know what a good buy is any more. We are in division 4, we probably don't pay stunning wages. What is a good buy?!

Bennet has done well in some games, not so well in others. Seems OK to me
Exactly, thats the type of player we can attract...inconsistant but with some games he is unplayable, other times he is a passenger.

Its gambling that one moment of skill can change a game, almost a luxury player but I think he offers more than that.

It took him 3 games before he could even pass a ball to a Town player but on 2 or 3 other games hes been head and shoulders above the rest of them, hes a 1 in 2 or 2 in 3 performer, but thats still a better average than most of the rest of our attacking players.

If he is played in an advanced roaming role then he will do well, if he is stuck out wide left he is poor.

I think he would be a huge asset in Div 4 and for me offers more than every midfielder/attacker we currently have except for possibly Doughty. But saying that Doughty is good but he too is inconsistant also.

Bennett has scored 1 in 3 for Town and scored 1 in 3 for Doncaster (110 games) playing as a number 10 alongside/behind a good target man, thats a 15 goals a season average which is way better than anything we have now.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 26, 2019, 09:11:31 by Peter Venkman » Logged

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 09:11:30 »

Exactly, thats the type of player we can attract...inconsistant but with some games he is unplayable, other times he is a passenger.

Its gambling that one moment of skill can change a game, almost a luxury player but I think he offers more than that.

It took him 3 games before he could even pass a ball to a Town player but on 2 or 3 other games hes been head and shoulders above the rest of them, hes a 1 in 2 or 2 in 3 performer, but thats still a better average than most of the rest of our attacking players.

If he is played in an advanced roaming role then he will do well, if he is stuck out wide left he is poor.

I think he would be a huge asset in Div 4 and for me offers more than every midfielder/attacker we currently have except for possibly Doughty. But saying that Doughty is good but he too is inconsistant also.

Bennett has scored 1 in 3 for Town and scored 1 in 3 for Doncaster playing as a number 10 alongside a good target man, thats a 15 goals a season average which is way better than anything we have now.

The issue is that with a squad of 20, is there room for luxury players?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #308 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 09:12:30 »

The issue is that with a squad of 20, is there room for luxury players?
If that luxury player can return 15 goals in a season then yes. Thats more than any other player has managed for us this season.

Thats more than Bayo, Anderson and Woolery have scored between them all season.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 09:45:37 »

I'd have thought the last few seasons would tell you not to expect much.... that way you're not disappointed.

We're competing with a bunch of other clubs at a similar level for a certain grade of player... whether on loan or getting on a free.  We don't have too many selling points.., and don't pay silly money (which is fair enough) 

So for example, Matt Preston who we wanted, was always going to Mansfield, because like the manager saw them as a better prospect.  Harry Toffolo would have been a good solution to the LB problem, I'm sure all Town fans were a little surprised he dropped down to Div 4... not with us mind.

Sometimes the reasons why these types don't come often isn't just money... but perception of career advancement or just geography.

The sort of players we pick up are the likes of Bayo... who last season had a loan stint at Cheltnumb, Sid, who did Yeovil and Chesterfield and Jak McCourt who also got relegated with Chesterfield.   Jermaine McG also had a spell at Cheltnumb on his CV.

I suspect Wellens is being a bit naive with his wanting better quality rather than numbers.... he's never had to do a summer recruitment, so dangerous times ahead. 

I worry about the thinking behind hanging Jermaine McG out to dry... I would call it incoherent, but will only get told off... for me, yes we can all see JMc isn't up to much, but he does seem at least professional, has a year left on contract, and if you can move him on then fair enough.  If not I don't see that he's done anything to warrant the criticism... a better approach would be, after failing to move him on, would be can we get some use out of him... coming off the bench perhaps. Like at Macc.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:00:40 »

We don't have too many selling points.., and don't pay silly money (which is fair enough)

I suspect Wellens is being a bit naive with his wanting better quality rather than numbers.... he's never had to do a summer recruitment, so dangerous times ahead.

Isn't the whole point of the latter to deal with the former? Lower numbers allows more funds to bring in the better quality, giving us a competitive advantage in one area at least. Of course, you're right about the recruitment needing to be right, but I think having Jewell on board should help and the signs from the January window are, for me, encouraging.

Will Wellens put together a top 3/top 7 side for next year? I don't know. But I think he might.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:00:45 »

Well Reg, I agree with a lot of what you say. I guess I saw the reduction to 20 as a sign we were maybe breaking the wage structure and upping it a bit, thus making us more attractive.

I have no idea how slagging McG puts him in the shop window. I guess scouts are savvy enough to ignore anything that a manager says and look at the player themselves.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:05:13 »

If that luxury player can return 15 goals in a season then yes. Thats more than any other player has managed for us this season.

Thats more than Bayo, Anderson and Woolery have scored between them all season.

Not disagreeing with you, although I am unconvinced about Bennett based upon 20 minutes at Carlisle.

As I have said elsewhere my slight concern is that by limiting his squad to 20 you are only ever going to have 2 players outside the squad each weekend, with our recent history of pretty shitty scatter gun recruitment its a risk....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:12:11 »

I presume he means 20 of ‘our’ players bolstered by the usual 5 loanees.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #314 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 10:15:18 »

Not disagreeing with you, although I am unconvinced about Bennett based upon 20 minutes at Carlisle.

As I have said elsewhere my slight concern is that by limiting his squad to 20 you are only ever going to have 2 players outside the squad each weekend, with our recent history of pretty shitty scatter gun recruitment its a risk....
TBF to Bennett, the Carlisle game was possibly his poorest for Town other than his first 2 appearances. He has been my MoM on at least 3 occassions this season.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: