Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 32460 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:55:39 »

However I am mindful that your analysis means that the present more fluid nature of football, means that perhaps in our present state, we should be aware that dropping out of the league is a possibilty.. and therefore make avoiding that our first goal of the coming season.

I think for just about any team in the bottom to divisions that has to be the first objective in any season, this is based upon the fact that long term contracts in lower league football are no longer the norm and most teams start each season with a comparatively new squad. This is why I think another favourite of supporters is now nonsense, namely the predictions of who is going to do well and who isn't, as no one knows how these new squads are going to gel each year its at best a lottery, as an example there have been years recently when I have looked at our squad come August and thought 'we have a chance this year with these players' only for them to be crap when combined into a team.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:58:07 »

Looking at the players in that article:

Rose - new contract
Conroy - new contract
Knoyle - new contract
Henry - new contract?
Dunne - released
McCourt - released
Lancashire - released
Richards - released
Smith - released
Young - released?
Edwards - released
Anderson - in contract, might look to offload
Woolery - in contract, as above, keeps one of them though I think
Dave - in contract, really don't see him being here, but will someone take him?
Taylor - retiring
Robertson - not in the article, gone already?
Broadbent - in contract and wanted
McCormick - in contract and wanted

You add Bennett and Robinson as potential additions to staff that we retain and Doughty who is under contract.

House will probably not return
Woolfenden unlikley
Koiki may come in for a year?
Carroll- he likes him I think, so mght come back for the year

There is a wedge of salary being freed up this summer
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:58:18 »

On the Rovers forum they suggest we have made them an offer for Bennett which they are considering but the stumbling block is his wages rumoured to be £4k a week.

Bloody hell £200k a year to be unable to play in a position requested by the manager, and people claim there is no money to be made for players in the lower leagues....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:13:14 »

I think for just about any team in the bottom to divisions that has to be the first objective in any season, this is based upon the fact that long term contracts in lower league football are no longer the norm and most teams start each season with a comparatively new squad. This is why I think another favourite of supporters is now nonsense, namely the predictions of who is going to do well and who isn't, as no one knows how these new squads are going to gel each year its at best a lottery, as an example there have been years recently when I have looked at our squad come August and thought 'we have a chance this year with these players' only for them to be crap when combined into a team.

Lower league prediction isn't an exact science... but I'd imagine most people had Lincoln, Mansfield and Franchise as likely auto candidates and probably Yeovil and Macc as strugglers.  There's always room for a Notts or Chesterfield though.

As regards our lot..... there wasn't enough in the summer to think we'd be properly competitive....of course some fans will hope for the best, but sometimes reality has to creep in.

This summer Wellens has an opportunity, to get rid of a number of players who don't suit, the style, or are just plain knackered and bring in reinforcements.... sounds easy doesn't it.  Of course the reality is that as an inexperienced gaffer you know the sort of quality you  want, but just can't get, for whatever reason. You then have to start being pragmatic... Flitcroft could pick up someone of Taylor's quality, because he lived locally, probably reckoned he had 2 years left, and probably wasn't looking for silly money.   It's that wheeler dealer aspect that is key... sure Jewell can help here, but it is a big unknown for the summer.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:15:55 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:17:16 »

Drinks round mine the day Lancashire leaves (and Robertson). Have we had a worse captain than Lancashire?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:24:54 »

Drinks round mine the day Lancashire leaves (and Robertson). Have we had a worse captain than Lancashire?

Risser? I liked Risser and he tried hard, but he wasn't very good.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:28:01 »

It's not so much the identifying of players who need to go..... that's easy. It's getting in players who are substantially better.  Think back to when Flitcroft had to do a rapid rebuild and it was something like he was talking to 5 players for each spot... it's highly likely that he wanted better than Lancashire and Robertson, but couldn't get them, so at some point you have to accept with the season about to start you have to compromise.  Last summer we wanted Preston, but it ws obvious he'd go to Mansfield.

It'll be interesting to see if we revisit Nelson....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:40:20 »

He hasn't won the fans over at Tranmere. I guess it depends on if hes won Mellon round, also could depend on whether they get promoted or not if they can afford or even want Nelson again next season or if he fancies a move up there.

RW spoke before a game a few weeks back when questioned and he said he would like Nelson back but it was out of his hands now, hinting that he has asked Power but its up to him to negotiate.

I would like Nelson back hes one of the few defenders in many many years that gives everything when he plays.

Millwall have told him he can leave in the Summer too according to their forum.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:41:19 »

Where we 'historically belong' is nonsense these days, our crowds are roughly average for our division as is our budget, so we are at our natural level as it stands.
Actually we have the 5th highest average gate in L2, we'd be top of the bottom half in L1, so using attendances as an indicator would back up a "natural" 3rd rather than 4th tier:
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:44:45 »

I think the most astonishing thing about that article is that the headline writer appears to not know the difference between "depart" (to leave) and "part" (separate). As it stands he's suggesting that Wellens is going to slash the squad to 20 then fuck off himself with the ones he's kicked out in some kind of managerial hari-kiri. I know local papers are cutting back and all but surely a basic knowledge of English is a prerequisite to be a journalist at any level?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:56:08 »

It's not so much the identifying of players who need to go..... that's easy. It's getting in players who are substantially better.  Think back to when Flitcroft had to do a rapid rebuild and it was something like he was talking to 5 players for each spot... it's highly likely that he wanted better than Lancashire and Robertson, but couldn't get them, so at some point you have to accept with the season about to start you have to compromise.  Last summer we wanted Preston, but it ws obvious he'd go to Mansfield.

The big pressure with having a small squad will be getting it right as there will be considerably less wriggle room for duff purchases/loans and thus more scope for it to go royally tits up without the safety net of between windows purchases/loans.

You don't want to revisit Nelson, its still a shit tip just outside Burnley!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 14:07:49 »

I know Reg deems Alzate the kind of player we don’t need to get out ofL2, but idfancy him back playing under Wellens.

The ‘style’ he is attempting to impose could well be attractive to those clubs higher up the food chain looking to loan out their talented little darlings.

Thinking about it, wasn’t that the point of Luke’s being manager.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 14:14:11 »

Adver etc. not available here as in blocked.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 14:27:41 »

I know Reg deems Alzate the kind of player we don’t need to get out ofL2, but idfancy him back playing under Wellens.

The ‘style’ he is attempting to impose could well be attractive to those clubs higher up the food chain looking to loan out their talented little darlings.

Thinking about it, wasn’t that the point of Luke’s being manager.

Luke also wanted a smaller squad rather than players around not doing much... I still maintain and nothing I've seen this season has changed my mind, that any loan kids should be a bit of icing on the cake.  Your core should be your own and football hardened types.  Either that or if they are to be in spine positioins have plenty of bodies around so you're not over reliant..... relying on Bayo as sole CF last summer was ridiculous, despite what some said about Woolery being able to cover for him, remembering it took him a while to get back from injury. OK it was unfortunate that Richards got injured pre season.  However I think if you're serious you have to factor in such eventualities in squad building.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 16:48:52 »

I'd have Alzate back, but the point being made by Reg needs to be catered for first - add someone like Nelson and two centre forwards first.  Alzate would be a better Anderson in my book.  Less ability on the ball but seemed to find a pass and could score a few played in the right position.

I thinkg we can take what Wellens has added so far as the guide - so Broadbent > Lancashire, Rose > everyone bar Doughty that we had before.  Nelson would be better than Robertson, so three permanent players, if he signed Nelson, that were improvements.  I think we need a better version of a Dunne - that's sort of what Carroll was for I tihink.  And we need two up top that are better than the empty gap we have there right now.  Then at least one player better than Woolery/Anderson would be ideal and a left back.  Alzate, assuming on loan would be what you'd add to supplement that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: