Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 32112 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 10:32:14 »

But this means bugger all in a sport that has changed beyond all recognition in the last 10 years of those 100 years, league position now appears to mainly depend on two variables,

a) how much cash the club owners are prepared to throw around, which leads to oddballs like Bournemouth who are fighting miles above their historic station based upon such a criteria or;

b) In more rare cases the quality of the manager, possibly luck in cheap acquisitions and sod the budget, see Accrington as the prime example of that.

In our case it would appear that Power is broadly where we should be (roughly par for the course in L2) in terms of a) but we are not getting there in terms of b), so in combination its falling over, also in terms of managers its worth bearing in mind that of our last few managers one fucked off for more cash when we were doing reasonably well and Ling (who i still think had great potential to meet so many fans expectations both in managerial ability and also being 'one of us' left due to reasons outside the clubs control).

Where we 'historically belong' is nonsense these days, our crowds are roughly average for our division as is our budget, so we are at our natural level as it stands.

I wouldn't disagree with most of that, but there has to be room for emotion in football support, and that makes me think we should be in Div 3.

However I am mindful that your analysis means that the present more fluid nature of football, means that perhaps in our present state, we should be aware that dropping out of the league is a possibilty.. and therefore make avoiding that our first goal of the coming season.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 10:34:49 »

There is a whole generation of Town fans who have never seen us play in the second tier which for those watching in the late 80s and 90s took for granted.

You're not wrong (that we took it for granted).  I can distinctly remember thinking at our first game in the 3rd tier in 1995 (vs Hull City, away) 'OK, so this is what lower league football looks like'.  It was all a bit of a novelty.  If I knew then how the next 25 yrs would pan out, I'd not have been quite so blasé about it.
Flashheart

« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:32:28 »

Wellens said he wants to cut the squad down to 20. A couple short if you ask me, but you'd think he is better qualified to make such decisions than I am. This will also mean offloading up to 3 that are still under contract. I think this would mean the likes of Anderson/Woolery.

Regardless, that's a big cut in terms of playing staff. Assuming the budget remains as it is-ish, that should mean a better quality (albeit small) squad. Provided they spend it wisely, of course.
Flashheart

« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:35:07 »

33? I had no idea our squad was that large.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:42:08 »

Wellens said he wants to cut the squad down to 20. A couple short if you ask me, but you'd think he is better qualified to make such decisions than I am. This will also mean offloading up to 3 that are still under contract. I think this would mean the likes of Anderson/Woolery.

Regardless, that's a big cut in terms of playing staff. Assuming the budget remains as it is-ish, that should mean a better quality (albeit small) squad. Provided they spend it wisely, of course.

Where was this reported Fh? Seems the Adver and many local rags are not available here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:43:09 »

I think he's saying 20 of our own and then loans. Think he'll have a problem in getting some of the in contract players out, as no-one will want them.

This will be Wellens first summer squad build, and it looks like having said he wanted to create a spirit, by keeping the squad together as far as it goes, has now opted for the clear out and rebuild.

So we'll have to see.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:44:24 »

Good point re smaller squad with more quality, then trust our youngsters if injuries or suspensions kick in.

If Twine works on upper body strength over the summer then there is decent enough player there.
If all else fails, just lay Jacob Bancroft across the pitch and there is no way through for the opposition.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:54:18 »

Where was this reported Fh? Seems the Adver and many local rags are not available here.
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17594160.richie-wellens-to-slash-swindon-towns-squad-size-this-summer-to-20-and-will-depart-with-more-than-a-dozen-players/
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:04:16 »

I wonder on Will Henry, he has constantly been loaned out managers deciding he needs experience, will be interesting to see if he is either promoted to 2nd choice or released

I'd like to see Rose & Dunne stay, other than that those out of contract can go
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:10:18 »

For cost reduction, or increase in quality? Will be interesting.
Flashheart

« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:13:25 »

Thirty three is too much as this level – let’s lower the numbers and increase the quality. I want to put money in the right areas

I think that's quite unambivalent.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:14:55 »

For cost reduction, or increase in quality? Will be interesting.

You’d think increase in quality. When you have players like Smith, McGlashan and Diagouraga being paid probably decent league 2 wages and not getting a look in, you could spend it elsewhere. Add to that Vigouroux, Taylor and Richards, you’d think those 6 wages alone could be spent on significantly improving the squad.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:23:39 »

I wonder on Will Henry, he has constantly been loaned out managers deciding he needs experience, will be interesting to see if he is either promoted to 2nd choice or released

I'd like to see Rose & Dunne stay, other than that those out of contract can go
For me Rose is a must and on the radio Saturday he said he wanted to sign for next season and that it was 99% there.

Dunne for me has to many flaws and there are way better options out there than him, he has had a few decent games but far too many times he has had awful games and he is petulant too and 3 sendings off and 17 bookings in 50 odd games is too many, he could easily have been sent off on Monday too.

As for Henry, he has been called up to the England U20 squad twice and is still only 20, hes been loaned out to a number of clubs to get experience and then after a few games we get an injury in goal or Vigs decides he doesn't feel like turning up so Henry gets recalled and is unable to complete his loan spell.

Apparently he was playing really well at Supermarine before he was recalled.

We need to keep hold of our youngsters as we have often released players under 23 who with the right blooding could have had a good future at Swindon.

For me we need to keep him and get him playing in the Mickey Mouse cup but also give him some decent loan time as we have tried to do. The new rules allow him to play for our U23 side as well as his loan club so we could keep an eye on him that way and see how he is progressing.

For me we need a 3rd keeper as I am sure RW will get in another 1st team keeper to press LMc for a starting slot.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:27:13 »

You’d think increase in quality. When you have players like Smith, McGlashan and Diagouraga being paid probably decent league 2 wages and not getting a look in, you could spend it elsewhere. Add to that Vigouroux, Taylor and Richards, you’d think those 6 wages alone could be spent on significantly improving the squad.
Pretty much exactly what I posted a couple of pages back, all those will be on good L2 wages and that will free a nice amount for RW to play around with.

On the Rovers forum they suggest we have made them an offer for Bennett which they are considering but the stumbling block is his wages rumoured to be £4k a week.

I think hes shown enough in his loan spell to prove that he would be a good asset at L2 level as Rovers don't seem to want him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 12:49:20 »

He feels you Reg:

“Thirty three is too much as this level – let’s lower the numbers and increase the quality. I want to put money in the right areas - wingers that will score and create, strikers that are going to score and centre backs that are going to defend the box well.

“We can fill the other areas accordingly with loan signings.”

I like the plan as well.  The fact he calls out that the players not in the starting XI are taking up more in budget than those he is picking says it all really.  I'd imagine most of the players like Iandolo are goners. 
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: