Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 32478 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 12:20:04 »

and he was, very rusty.  With his background I doubt he'll be too beaten up by being described as such.

I'm still inclined to take Wellens' period in totality, which has been ok so far with most games ending with us as victor or the better of the two teams that just failed to score goals.  The summer recruitment is going to be key, there is the potential he has a bit of budget to play with given the players who are leaving, with the plus being that none of them are currently playing with any regularity by and large.  So he's replacing bench warmers budget with the option to get first teamers.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 12:28:44 »

Im up to giving him a crack at a whole season.

The lack of a decent striker has meant we are, where we are, as Flasheart says, so many draws could of been wins....woulda, coulda, shoulda...im not a football manager by any means but the majority could see where we lacked...frustrating.

I blame me, if I hadn't attended those two games this season we could have been on level points with Exeter
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 12:40:41 »

I have just received the push notification from the STFC app notifying me of the full time result yesterday.

Either that was a lot of injury time or some fairly shoddy app work.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 13:06:30 »

Having slept on it i think yesterday was a blessing in disguise.  If the fringe players had turned up yesterday we might have ended up giving contracts to players that would just drop back into mediocrity for next season.  The fact that we were so bad has prompted the reaction from Wellens which is the one that is needed.

Doesn't make it any easier to take after watching that, but at least Wellens is angry enough now to clear the decks of the dross and make the right decision of (almost) completely rebuilding which is different to what he was saying a few weeks ago.

I for one am happy with Wellens at the helm, he has done enough to show he has the potential to do the right things - the fact that he has had his hands tied with the majority of somebody else's squad (years of poor recruitment being mentioned regularly as a reason we find ourselves in the mess that we are) leaves me with the feeling that "if" he is allowed to bring in the players that he wants we will at least be good enough for a play off push next year.  

Preseason started after Good Friday's lukewarm (no pun intended) performance against Cambridge, so have to agree. If you want to beat Crewe, you need to break up their play with some physicality.   That's why they struggle most of the time in this league, but they are usually the best footballing side in the lower divisions, when teams allow them to play.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 17:17:55 »

Next season we shouldn’t be aiming for play offs- we should be going for automatic.

This should be the minimum- although we are in the basement because we haven’t been good enough- this club belongs at least in League one
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 17:50:02 »

We really should not be just aiming for playoffs in the basement league- we should be going for automatic.

Yes we are down there on merit but this club should be minimum in league one
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 19:19:23 »

We really should not be just aiming for playoffs in the basement league- we should be going for automatic.

Yes we are down there on merit but this club should be minimum in league one

Why? (To your second point)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 19:33:59 »

Well it's not on performance, probably on history, club size etc.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 20:10:25 »

Well it's not on performance, probably on history, club size etc.

Next season is the centenary of our arriving in the Football League... before that we'd been a leading Southern League club.... 2 FA Cup semi finals, we won the SL twice, it's standards were comaparable to FL.

In that hundred years most of it has been in the third tier...one top flight season and 18 second tier seasons. It will be our 9th season at Div 4 level.... it's about 66 at Div 3 level.  I don't think it's being greedy or big time Charlie to think that we shoud be getting back there.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 21:38:30 »

I have just received the push notification from the STFC app notifying me of the full time result yesterday.

[/quote

They've been out there all that time and still couldn't score!!

Clems Army!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 22:09:23 »

They've been out there all that time and still couldn't score!!

You been down the boozer Flash?  Smiley
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 08:50:03 »

You been down the boozer Flash?  Smiley

If i was i wouldnt be pissed with you there... Round dodger...

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 09:32:34 »

Next season is the centenary of our arriving in the Football League... before that we'd been a leading Southern League club.... 2 FA Cup semi finals, we won the SL twice, it's standards were comaparable to FL.

In that hundred years most of it has been in the third tier...one top flight season and 18 second tier seasons. It will be our 9th season at Div 4 level.... it's about 66 at Div 3 level.  I don't think it's being greedy or big time Charlie to think that we shoud be getting back there.

But this means bugger all in a sport that has changed beyond all recognition in the last 10 years of those 100 years, league position now appears to mainly depend on two variables,

a) how much cash the club owners are prepared to throw around, which leads to oddballs like Bournemouth who are fighting miles above their historic station based upon such a criteria or;

b) In more rare cases the quality of the manager, possibly luck in cheap acquisitions and sod the budget, see Accrington as the prime example of that.

In our case it would appear that Power is broadly where we should be (roughly par for the course in L2) in terms of a) but we are not getting there in terms of b), so in combination its falling over, also in terms of managers its worth bearing in mind that of our last few managers one fucked off for more cash when we were doing reasonably well and Ling (who i still think had great potential to meet so many fans expectations both in managerial ability and also being 'one of us' left due to reasons outside the clubs control).

Where we 'historically belong' is nonsense these days, our crowds are roughly average for our division as is our budget, so we are at our natural level as it stands.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 09:39:58 »

And it will be 20 seasons outside the 2nd tier which is the longest period since 1963 and probably another 5-10 years before we get there. 

We were unlucky in 2009/10 and 2014/15 to have good enough teams to go up in a strong 3rd tier with teams like Norwich, Leeds and Bristol City able to throw big money. In true Town style we show the ability to then take a backward step with relegation in 1 or 2 seasons.

There is a whole generation of Town fans who have never seen us play in the second tier which for those watching in the late 80s and 90s took for granted.

Sent from my HTC U11
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 09:45:27 »

If i was i wouldnt be pissed with you there... Round dodger...

We all were after the Yeovil game  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: