Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 32449 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:49:46 »

Did i read that we had an option on Rose?
tans

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:53:43 »

Yes we do
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #167 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:53:57 »

Colin Calderwood was a great player.... went through divs with us played in the Prem and did OK v Brazil in the WC.

Chris Kamara, was another who was much better than journeyman and eventually played in the top flight

Dave Bamber was above normal Div 4 standard, playing much of his career in Div 2
Yes a strong spine is needed but at the time Calderwood was nowhere near the quality of player he would develop into as it was his first season with the club. Who is to say that Conroy or Broadbent or even Woolf won't develop the same way eventually?

Kamara was out injured for more than half the season so contributed to under half the games played, yes when he played he was way better but he didn't regain fitness until the season after.

Bamber was ok he was not that great and even though he played at a higher level earlier in his career  he was only just above an average Div 4 player at that point. He had played 1 season in Div 3 and 2 in Div 4 followed by 1 season in Div 1 where he failed at Coventry scoring just 3 times and then a season at Walsall in Div 3 where he only scored a few goals. He was nothing like the "great player" you suggest, he was a decent Div 4 striker who won us a lot of penalties and anyway only played less than half that season too. You suggest Bamber played most of his career at Div 2...he only played 23 games above Div 3 when he signed for us.

So your arguement doesn't hold up that Calderwood, Bamber and Kamara were way better than Div 4 as Kamara and Bamber didn't even play 42 games that season between them and Calderwood at that point only when he signed only had 2 full seasons of football so although we could see he was decent nobody could have known the career he would eventually go on to.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:56:11 »

I don't think I'd be unhappy if Robinson became permanent (only if not on it's own though).

I'd be ok with Koiki as a back-up/sub with the view to him developing - which I guess is the point of a loan player to his parent club.  He's done enough in the past three games to show he is not going to be the answer to a promotion season right now though.

I'd be ambivalent to McCourt or Smith remaining.  The former looked alright when he had a little rune of games.

I think you let go or find a way of letting go of Vigs, Robertson, Lancashire, Taylor, Richards, Dave.  Woolfenden is probably staying at Ipswich and I'd not want House back.  Carroll, maybe take him for a season.

Sign Bennett, Rose and maybe Robinson.

McCormick is here, Woolery is here, Knoyle and Conroy you'd want, Broadbent is here, Doughty is here.

Dunne - is he off this summer?  I hope so, but he'd be ok to have about if he is signed up for another year I guess.  I;d not want to have him in my first team though.

The youths are not worth including for now

Find a way of solving Anderson-  either improve or ship.

That leaves a fair few gaps that need filling, but a core worth having about vs. last seasons switcheroo, where the players who did stay were mostly crap, or it was one season too many.

Forward, central midfielder with some presence, left back and probably another centre half at a minimum.  You probably want a couple of different forward though, to give options.

« Last Edit: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:58:15 by RobertT » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #169 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:58:19 »

Who would you retain for next season then to give us a platform?

Me:

Done: McCormick,  Broadbent
Keep: Knoyle, Conroy, Bennett, Rose, Woolery or Anderson, Doughty
Undecided: Dunne

I'm assuming Wolfenden will be playing for Ipswich.

I think that's about it for me. An on form and fit TD should be useful if such a thing is possible.
As I suggested after the Oldham game this is what I would like to see.

Lancashire, McGlashan, Richards and Robertson all should be freed, Taylor is retiring so thats 5 experienced level wages freed.

I have a feeling Toums, Smith, Vigs and either McCourt or Dunne will be freed, choose to leave or made available for transfer.

The rest have something to offer and should have contracts renewed or at least be told they can fight for a place next season.

McCormick,  Knoyle, Doughty, Anderson, Woolery, Conroy, Broadbent, Rose, Curran, McGilp.

I would try and sign Robinson and Bennett on permanent deals, both of which I feel would accept an offer.

Maybe get Koiki and Carroll in on season loans, Woolf will be playing in the first team in L1 at Ipswich and I don't think House has impressed enough to warrant another loan.

I would probably also try and get back Sid Nelson on a permanent deal as it hasn't worked out for him at Tranmere and he has loads of potential.

We also have Twine, Henry, Iandolo, Romanski, Edwards, Bancroft, Matthews, Young and Pryce who could play a part or maybe go out on a long term loan to see how they progress.

With Wellens/Power/Jewell connections I feel 4 new signings would be about right and compliment what we have along with a couple of young loanees coming in too.
I think as you say a fit Toums would be a major asset too.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 18:59:12 »

I forgot McGlashan, he can go too
Peter Venkman

« Reply #171 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:04:49 »

I forgot McGlashan, he can go too
Hes already been told he can leave on a free by RW.

tans

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:12:04 »

Where you hear that?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #173 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:12:57 »

Where you hear that?
Radio interview pre game a few weeks back, Wellens was interviewed and he said McGlashan has been told he has no future at Swindon, from the horses mouth.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #174 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:15:58 »

Part of it here too.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17484633.jermaine-mcglashan-joins-national-league-club-wrexham-on-loan-after-not-fitting-into-richie-wellens-playing-system-at-swindon-town/

m at Swindon Town
By Shaun Reynolds @95_reynolds Chief sports writer
McGlashan heads to Wrexham, and is unlikely to play for Swindon again

JERMAINE McGlashan will spend the rest of the season on loan at National League club Wrexham, and Swindon Town manager Richie Wellens revealed he has no plans to include him in his squad for next season.

McGlashan, 30, has made 28 appearances for Town this season after signing a two-year deal with the club last summer.

Since Wellens’ arrival, the former Cheltenham winger has played only eight times though – the last of those being at Macclesfield on the first weekend of January.

Not one to criticise McGlashan’s style of play, Wellens said he has found it difficult to fit him into the squad under the system he likes to play.

Therefore, a move to Wrexham was deemed as the best decision for all concerned – with McGlashan expected to seek a fresh contract elsewhere for the 2019/20 season.

Wellens said: “Jermaine’s move to Wrexham is a good one for him.

“If you train all week, you should be playing at the weekend.

“And Jermaine now has that opportunity.

“He has been a bit unfortunate, the way that I like to play hasn’t quite worked with him.

“His only real chance was the first game against Carlisle where I played him wing back, that just didn’t work.

“He did great in the times he came on as a substitute, but at his age I’m sure he’ll be looking for a new contract in the summer.

“So, I’ll give him the best opportunity to try and find another club.”

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:16:24 »

I don't think I'd be unhappy if Robinson became permanent (only if not on it's own though).

I'd be ok with Koiki as a back-up/sub with the view to him developing - which I guess is the point of a loan player to his parent club.  He's done enough in the past three games to show he is not going to be the answer to a promotion season right now though.

I'd be ambivalent to McCourt or Smith remaining.  The former looked alright when he had a little rune of games.

I think you let go or find a way of letting go of Vigs, Robertson, Lancashire, Taylor, Richards, Dave.  Woolfenden is probably staying at Ipswich and I'd not want House back.  Carroll, maybe take him for a season.

Sign Bennett, Rose and maybe Robinson.

McCormick is here, Woolery is here, Knoyle and Conroy you'd want, Broadbent is here, Doughty is here.

Dunne - is he off this summer?  I hope so, but he'd be ok to have about if he is signed up for another year I guess.  I;d not want to have him in my first team though.

The youths are not worth including for now

Find a way of solving Anderson-  either improve or ship.

That leaves a fair few gaps that need filling, but a core worth having about vs. last seasons switcheroo, where the players who did stay were mostly crap, or it was one season too many.

Forward, central midfielder with some presence, left back and probably another centre half at a minimum.  You probably want a couple of different forward though, to give options.

What you need to consider is that this season we've gone backwards, albeit not by much.  That wasn't exactly a surprise as the summer squad building looked to have significant deficiencies and so it has proved.  So we're going to need some strengthening just to stand still.  To push on is going to require something significant, and given that usually means spending money... I don't suppose many are expecting too much.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:18:31 »

Back to basics. Lump up front with someone playing off him. We’ve had no ‘presence’ up front for ages. Even when we get in good positions- and we do very often most games- we end up fannying around as if we’re Man City instead of just getting the ball in the box. We don’t have enough players actually in the box to pick up the pieces.

Approach play is fine - generally defence is OK. Up top we’ve got nothing, nada, zilch, fuck all.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:31:44 »

Back to basics. Lump up front with someone playing off him. We’ve had no ‘presence’ up front for ages. Even when we get in good positions- and we do very often most games- we end up fannying around as if we’re Man City instead of just getting the ball in the box. We don’t have enough players actually in the box to pick up the pieces.

Approach play is fine - generally defence is OK. Up top we’ve got nothing, nada, zilch, fuck all.

Think what is needed is a couple of extra bodies up top, so you get competition and rotation, so if for example we sign Theo and assuming Woolery and Anderson are still around, get in a couple of other big lads. If we can't get a 24 goal man then have 3 8 goal men
tans

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:32:11 »

Bring back Shaun Close i say
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:49:06 »

Been missing for two seasons now...

A decent finisher would of probably got us in the play offs this season..

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: