Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crewe - matchday thread traditionally created on the match day  (Read 31807 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:14:22 »

Battle of the railway towns. blah blah blah.

Look, the sun is shining*, its a great day to have a pint in a beer garden somewhere, pick up the Cheltenham tickets and see your mates.

Don't let the league table, football or result spoil the last day before heading back to work.

*probably, I've just got up and not drawn the curtains yet
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:20:18 »

The last two visits by this lot were both goalfests, ending in 4-3 victories to us. A nailed-on goalless draw today, then.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:29:39 »

The last two visits by this lot were both goalfests, ending in 4-3 victories to us. A nailed-on goalless draw today, then.

The last number of visits have usually provided goals mainly for us. That followed a spell when Crewe were good where they usually won. 0-0 is probably a good shout.  At least a draw would keep them below us..... must be a while since they finished above us.
REDBUCK

« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:31:51 »

Same message, different team Grin
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:32:09 »

Absolutely not. We will win.
Then we'll look at the league table in agony thinking if only we'd have beaten Cambridge.
Then we'll lose at Nam.

You can't change the laws of football.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:40:57 »

A win at the GC today is a must on many levels. PO? Nah that boat has sailed, however, pride, extend unbeaten run, player contracts? (He should know by now who he wants), fans (that’s us 😁) need to see something to keep up interest over the closed season and optimism for next in L2, improvement on last seasons standing to name a few. I will not be in attendance now until next season, to much to do today and my lad has discovered girls so he has other plans today and Notts Co. I have plans for that W/E. So eerily enough I am already excited about next season as I genuinely see it as the start of the renaissance of STFC, yes another one.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:56:31 »

Interestingly today will be Wellens' 27th league game in charge the same as Brown....

PB: W7 D11 L9

RW: W10 D10 L6

We can see from that Wellens has made an improvement, and his current success rate if replicated over 46 games would give 70 points..... probably not enough for a PO spot, and nowhere near autos.  He needs to find an extra gear for next season.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 10:08:44 »

End of season mid table meaningless match.

Crewe sit in 14th and Town in 12th place with just 2 points between the sides.

Crewe have won 2 more matches than Swindon but have lost 6 more games.

Crewe scored 54 and conceded 53 with Swindon scoring 53 and conceding 50, so 2 pretty evenly matched teams on paper.

They have won their last 2 matches with the last 5 games being WLLWW, Swindon are unbeaten in the last 7 games with the run being DWWDDDD.

Crewe haven't won at the CG since 2007 a run consisting of DDWWWWWW for Swindon scoring 23 and conceding 8 times, in that run Town have scored a 5, and 3 times scored 4 goals.

In all the 18 games at Swindon  between the teams Crewe have only won 3 times with Swindon winning 12 of the games. Weirdly all 3 Crewe wins came in a run of 3 games played at the CG between 1999 and 2002. Swindon have a win ratio of 66% at the CG with Crewe being on 16%.

Last season Swindon were 3-1 down to them at home with 39 mins left and we still won 4-3, the season before Swindon were 3-1 down at HT and won again 4-3.

Earlier in the season in the away game Town were beaten 1-0 with a smash and grab after Kirk caused us all sorts of problems down the left.

Crewe never travel in numbers so I expect the normal 130 odd fans of theirs.

The only player involved who has played for the other side is Marc Richards who had a loan spell of 4 games for Crewe when he was a youngster at Blackburn in 2001.

Swindon 2-0 Crewe with Anderson and Woolf scoring in front of 6,251 with 135 fans from the "minor railway Town" there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 10:15:01 »

Interestingly today will be Wellens' 27th league game in charge the same as Brown....

PB: W7 D11 L9

RW: W10 D10 L6

We can see from that Wellens has made an improvement, and his current success rate if replicated over 46 games would give 70 points..... probably not enough for a PO spot, and nowhere near autos.  He needs to find an extra gear for next season.

Pointless extrapolation into next season. We all know we don't know WTF we will get next year.

This January Wellens wanted to bring in experience, and then realised it was too expensive. Next season we will have shifted some surplus, and freed wages up. Maybe he'll be able to afford a better caliber of player. Or maybe the budget will be further reduced. Who knows.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 10:28:28 »

Pointless extrapolation into next season. We all know we don't know WTF we will get next year.

This January Wellens wanted to bring in experience, and then realised it was too expensive. Next season we will have shifted some surplus, and freed wages up. Maybe he'll be able to afford a better caliber of player. Or maybe the budget will be further reduced. Who knows.

Fair enough... but where's the fun in that.  I think the stats pointing out that Wellens will need to do better, is a valid consideration going into next season.... the pre season is going to provide us with endless fun about whether so and so is really the sort of thing we need if we are to start pulling ourselves out of this present morass.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 11:40:24 »

stevenage v exeter DRAW
grimsby v carlisle HOME WIN
yeovil v colchester HOME WIN
macclesfield v newport HOME WIN
swindon v crewe HOME WIN.

only odds of 229.63/1.

league table:
7th exeter 66 remaining (oldham home, forest green away) DRAW. LOSE.
8th swindon 64 (chelt home, notts county away) WIN. WIN.
9th carlisle 64 (crawley home, yeovil away) DOESN'T MATTER IF WE WIN 3 WITH GD
10th colchester 63 (Franchise home, lincoln away) DOESN'T MATTER IF WE WIN 3
11th newport 63 (lincoln home, oldham away, morecombe away) LOSE, DRAW, WIN

PLAYOFFS!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 12:23:21 »

5-0, I insist!

I think Wellens' record, when aligned next to Brown shows decent improvement - he can't suddenly turn it around.  The record since the January window is a little better again, suggesting (only suggesting) that once he gets his own players and time to get them playing his way, he has a better solution than Brown did.  IF he can get the right players in over the summer, the trend might be upwards, lets hope it remains that way and not a false dawn.

What odds we win the final three and still miss out :-)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 12:25:22 »

Crewe are in fine form. We are unbeaten in 7.

1-1.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 12:45:37 »

Crewe are the worst away performing side in the league with just 3 wins but they were at MKD, Mansfield and Stevenage. They have lost 12 of their 21 away games but they are also the divisions lowest away scorers with just 13 on their travels.

TBH the game has no score draw written all over it today.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 13:00:16 »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: