Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v Swindon Town pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 23508 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, April 21, 2019, 22:49:17 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=WILLIAMG

Gordon Williams nickname was "slacker"; not the best nickname to have....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 00:25:21 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=WILLIAMG

Gordon Williams nickname was "slacker"; not the best nickname to have....

My father used to tell me about a black player we had, whose nickname was Nutty, as his surname was Slack.  He never played for the first team but made the reserves.

This was probably the 50's, when you'd get a decent crowd for a Combination game.... nutty slack, which younger readers wouldn't know was a low grade coal of dust and bits, necessary at the time for much of the working classes, before climate change made winters more acceptable.

I've never really tried to hunt down a bit more about Nutty... perhaps I should, but Wilf Slack, was an England cricketer of Caribbean decent who died tragically young.... so suggestive of a slave name.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 07:34:48 »

Bobby Howe was called Stephen. One of those middle name jobs I guess.

After he left us I've got a vague memory that he played one game for Farnborough where they got trounced 9-0 or something. Can any statto's confirm. I've got a hangover and my googlefu is failing me (I can't be bothered)

Hungover again but a bit more effort reveals that Mr. Sexy Football made 2 apearences off the bench for Farnborough. A 7-1 away defeat to Barnet where he came on at half time. And the next week a 6-0 home mauling by Hereford where he came on in the 76th min.

My non-extensive research can't find anymore appearences. And quite honeslty I'm not sure why I care.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 08:42:44 »

My favourite nickname was Everton fans calling Neil Pointon “Dizza”. 

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 09:09:49 »

Hungover again but a bit more effort reveals that Mr. Sexy Football made 2 apearences off the bench for Farnborough. A 7-1 away defeat to Barnet where he came on at half time. And the next week a 6-0 home mauling by Hereford where he came on in the 76th min.

My non-extensive research can't find anymore appearences. And quite honeslty I'm not sure why I care.

I thought Booby, was a better sobriquet, for Stephen.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 12:45:37 »

Flitcroft is a jobbing lower Div 4 manager... he may well get Mansfield up.

A lot thought him a poor man manager when Vigs ended up at Waterford, despite the evidence of the fault laying with the keeper.  That trying to get rid of a disruptive influence is pretty basic management seemed lost on some, and those of us who advocated cutting our losses and getting rid were criticised... wrongly IMO.
Not comparable situations are they though? At the time Vigs had 18 months left on his contract and whatever his attitude issues (which were widely acknowledged at the time), he was still a saleable asset that "Flitters" chose to devalue to the detriment of the club. That's very different to the situation now when we're a few weeks away from the end of his contract and he's refused to renew. But you know all that and choose to ignore the facts that don't suit you, as per.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 12:47:44 »

I don't think Vigs is all that, but then I remind myself of the shit we had in goal when we didn't have him here.  McCormick, personal issues aside, has at least show he is a stable GK for this level.  I don't panic when the ball goes near him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #247 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 12:51:21 »

I don't think Vigs is all that, but then I remind myself of the shit we had in goal when we didn't have him here.  McCormick, personal issues aside, has at least show he is a stable GK for this level.  I don't panic when the ball goes near him.
Exactly this for me too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 13:03:33 »

Not comparable situations are they though? At the time Vigs had 18 months left on his contract and whatever his attitude issues (which were widely acknowledged at the time), he was still a saleable asset that "Flitters" chose to devalue to the detriment of the club. That's very different to the situation now when we're a few weeks away from the end of his contract and he's refused to renew. But you know all that and choose to ignore the facts that don't suit you, as per.

Vigs certainly has never really been a saleable asset.... had he been he'd have been sold, that's why Power bought him.

He has been an average Div 3/4 stopper, with a bad attitude, that you probably don't want if looking for promotion.

This is about opinion... and in my opinion we should have cut the losses on Vigs and got rid.... if in your opinion we shouldn't then fine.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, April 22, 2019, 13:27:25 »

This is about opinion... and in my opinion we should have cut the losses on Vigs and got rid.... if in your opinion we shouldn't then fine.
Actually it's not. My point was that you weren't comparing like with like, but as ever you shift the ground when the facts don't suit.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: