Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v Swindon Town pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 23671 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #195 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 22:43:53 »

Time to tear it down & start again.

Loads out, loads in.

Nah.

We have a decent squad at this level, it just needs a few tweaks.

Keep the core of the squad, add some potency (a goalscorer) and an older head or two and I reckon we're about there.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 23:00:31 »

Can’t say I’m convinced a few tweaks will take us from a mid table team to a top 3 team.

Flashheart

« Reply #197 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 23:17:17 »

Tweaks will turn those draws into wins.

Such tweaks would easily have given us 6 points +
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 23:47:52 »

Well, 6 points doesn’t put us in the top 3...
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 05:16:35 »

This was always the danger for Wellens, in the little run of away games, that we'd drop back down the league and so get our second worse finish and heaven forbid finish beloiw Chetnumb.... he did OK getting the draws at Newport and Oldham, which kept them below us at least for now in the case of Oldham, but needed to back it up by winning today. Lose on Monday and we drop back into the bottom half. That isn't a good look for the  future and needs avoiding as does losing at Numb.

So for example our haul of 7 home wins is as things stand our worst ever in Div 4.... of seasons in the 21st century, only 10/11 and 00/01 had fewer. 10/11 we went down lamely.... 00/01 we nearly did but were saved by Rovers imploding.  It isn't great, but a chance to at least put a bit of gloss on by winning the final 2 games at the CG.  It needs to happen....

As always Reg has got it spot on.  He always seems to see these things with such clarity and precision.

This is now the most vital few days in the club's history.  If we don't win on Monday then we will inevitably drop out of the league next year. Also my next door neighbour's cat will die in mysterious (but explainable by Reg) circumstances.

Win it and we'll be in the premier league in 3 years.  Make that 2 years if we win by at least 2 goals and Cheltenham lose.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 06:07:41 »

I would suggest that this from Wellens emphasises that we aren't going forward ....

Your Wellens quote was a tad disengenuous. He actually said he didn’t think the group had a promotion in them this year.

Most would agree with that. My point, and others, seems to suggest he is on the way to getting it right next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 07:41:58 »

Also my next door neighbour's cat will die in mysterious (but explainable by Reg) circumstances.

You live in Croydon  Hmmm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 07:50:37 »

Your Wellens quote was a tad disengenuous. He actually said he didn’t think the group had a promotion in them this year.

Most would agree with that. My point, and others, seems to suggest he is on the way to getting it right next season.

That is obvious, and as pointed out, he's trying to get a response for the final 3 games.

Which then means if it isn't forthcoming, he'll be taking a core squad of players into next seaason who he thinks lack the necessary attributes of an auto side.

I like his use of the term "smell".... as fans "smell" also. (some quite literally).  So at no stage this season has it smelt like we've had a team capable of going up.  As to whether the significant strengthening required wil be forthcoming we'll have to wait on that one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 08:56:39 »

step one, get. Conroy and knoyle signed up
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #204 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 09:04:57 »

step one, get. Conroy and knoyle signed up
On the radio pre game yesterday Knoyle was hinting he was going to sign, not heard about Conroy though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 09:13:33 »

Well, the fat lady has finally sung,  reading the reports it seems a draw yesterday was a fair result.
Can't say I expected us to make the play offs, had numerous opportunities to put ourselves in the frame but failed miserably with each opportunity.  Still,  much better than we anticipated mid-season,  just got to get it right next season,  but not holding my breath.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 09:20:03 »

Can’t say I’m convinced a few tweaks will take us from a mid table team to a top 3 team.

For a bit of fun, let's consider what we know or perhaps suspect about next season, and see if a "few tweaks" are likely to suffice.

GK  LMc considered a back up this year.... now to be numero uno. A steady enough keeper.  How has Will Henry done on his travels, has he improved? Bench sitting is no use to him.  Is he ready to start?

Defence.  Knoyle, offered a contract, a useful player, needs more in the attacking third... assists and a couple of goals.  Not beyond the realms of possibility.   Broadbent and Conroy.  Tom looks to have something, but at his age bench sitting is no good... relatively speaking he's inexperienced. Dion, has been a good story, insofar as he's come back from long term injury and looked good enough for Div 4.  Then we've the boy Curran, who is something of a mystery, but presumably will be expected to step up next season.  LB, remains a problem area.

Midfield. Suspect Rose, will be offered a deal... and is a steady player, doubt he's the fitness though for a sustained auto campaign. Doughty, yes good enough for an auto side, if fitness improves. Diagouraga, sadly has lookd a bit Nalis from early doors, a leap of faith to see him come back.

Attack. A final chance for Keshi and Kaiyne to get the required consistency, both out of contract in 2020, so might focus minds, to have a good season and get a move.

Scott Twine has he pulled up any trees in Ireland, or has it been more peat bog digging?

Sol Pryce  Hmmm

The rest are out of contract with no talk of renewal or loans.

I think you are right.... there's a nucleus there of another mid table effort with some recruitment, of a similar standard.

Another sub standard summer, as we have seen can happen under Power, and we might carry on the season on season slide.

For a proper shot at autos, we will need to see strengthening,
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 10:11:52 »

Knoyle, Broadbent, Conory, Dougherty worth keeping.
Robinson worth signing.

Need a vast upgrade on everyone else.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #208 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 10:26:39 »

I've seen Henry for supermarine a couple of times. I rated him when he played a few times a little while ago and j still rate him now. The only thing is he'd need to be given a run of games and I don't think we'd do it. I'd happily have him as first choice regardless of what I think of LMc.
Almost certainly he'll be let go at end of contract, drop down and then come back up again.
Apparently he's a thoroughly decent lad and those at supermarine speak very highly of him as a keeper and a person.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, April 20, 2019, 11:10:42 »

Conroy has been good recently, but he really needs to stay here for another year or two and get some proper football under his belt. He was either injured or poor for a long time, and hasn’t got enough behind him to move higher up.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: