Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v Swindon Town pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 23645 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 17:37:17 »

Clearly it isn't bollocks.... league position is the sole reliable reflection of status, and if we finish in a lower position this season and so continue the year on year slide under Power, it looks the exact reverse of going forward.   Dress it up as you like, however win a couple of games and things would look a lot better. 

So for example our haul of 7 home wins is as things stand our worst ever in Div 4.... of seasons in the 21st century, only 10/11 and 00/01 had fewer. 10/11 we went down lamely.... 00/01 we nearly did but were saved by Rovers imploding.  It isn't great, but a chance to at least put a bit of gloss on by winning the final 2 games at the CG.  It needs to happen....
There’s a world of difference between finishing 10th after not winning any of your last 10 games then finishing 10th after not losing any of your last 10 games.

Our final league position will be more an indictment of Brown wasting half a season. I’d imagine the vast majority of Town fans will be, rightly, optimistic about the next campaign.

And I fail to see what relevance Cheltenham have in all this. FGR will finish above us, too.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 17:38:58 »

that's not how it sounded. separate incident.

Think he asked a coach for the next day off, and when asked if everything was ok he said he wanted to go to his new club to look at the facilities.

What a dickhead. Lack of respect. I guess he’s going to QPR with win percentage.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #182 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:00:02 »

Tbh, Reg it doesn’t really matter a jot where we finish or whether Cheltenham finish above us.

Historic bollocks shouldnt cloud the fact that the club looks to be going forward - on and off the pitch.
This 100%

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #183 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:08:06 »

What a dickhead. Lack of respect. I guess he’s going to QPR with win percentage.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:28:25 »

going to nam for the piss up. we are sure a win there.

that and the GWReds annual BBQ means the strain isn't a write off yet.

oh, and Chippers beer festival next Friday. live isn't so bad
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:29:15 »

There’s a world of difference between finishing 10th after not winning any of your last 10 games then finishing 10th after not losing any of your last 10 games.

Our final league position will be more an indictment of Brown wasting half a season. I’d imagine the vast majority of Town fans will be, rightly, optimistic about the next campaign.

And I fail to see what relevance Cheltenham have in all this. FGR will finish above us, too.

Each season should be viewed according to how it pans out.... so for example finishing 10th after a collapse, would suggest you must have decent been  in the early part of that season.... were there reasons.

Finishing 10th after being poor before the last 10 is basically Oxford, and I'm sure their fans having wanted Robinson gone, will have some optimism for next seson depending on off field stuff.

I don't like Cheltnumb... as regards FGR we know Vince puts the money in so many would expect them to finish above us, so no surprise... Cheltnumb isn't a football town doesn't, have a wealthy owner, and are doing well to keep league football there.... they've never finished above us in the same league.... if we can't manage to finish above them, then we have problems.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:40:50 »

after our previous years of low final positions did we bounce back or continue to decline?
does a low position have any real influence on where you will finish next season?
does finishing below cheltenham for a season when it looks like remaining fixtures are dead rubber mean anything to next season?

The best comparison would be the 4 years spent in Div 4 in the 80's..... an initial 8th place finish was followed 2nd season by a slide to 17th.... Macari then rectified this by getting back to 8th, with strong home form which gave the fans some confidence for 85/86 when some pre season strengthening happened....  we went up.

Wellens needs to win the last 2 at home, just to give that bit of belief within the fan base that with some strengthning we could be on to something for next season... limp endings just create the wrong impression.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:47:42 »

This 100%

I would suggest that this from Wellens emphasises that we aren't going forward ....

I have kept it quiet, but I don’t feel this group have got a promotion (in them).

“Forget technically ability on the pitch, I mean the character. It is a good changing room, but it is a nice changing room.

“I have been involved with promotion and you can smell the atmosphere and the feeling between the players. I think we lack that, hence why I think we are going to fall a little bit short.”
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 18:58:24 »

i think it's fair enough to say we are not quite where we need to be.  We are pretty much light years ahead of where we were after 20 games though.  For me, we feel on the edge of it, like Wellens describes, it's good but not quite good enough.  I don't think we are a mile away though, the sign are of improvement overall, of a team that it is now dominating and not looking likely to crumble under the slightest push of pressure from an opposition.  We sometimes look very good, we often look just short and infrequently look poor now.  Add three of four payers of the right calibre in the right positions to the team today and I think we'd be there.  Wellens has to work his backside off now to keep the right ones at the club.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 19:06:24 »

i think it's fair enough to say we are not quite where we need to be.  We are pretty much light years ahead of where we were after 20 games though.  For me, we feel on the edge of it, like Wellens describes, it's good but not quite good enough.  I don't think we are a mile away though, the sign are of improvement overall, of a team that it is now dominating and not looking likely to crumble under the slightest push of pressure from an opposition.  We sometimes look very good, we often look just short and infrequently look poor now.  Add three of four payers of the right calibre in the right positions to the team today and I think we'd be there.  Wellens has to work his backside off now to keep the right ones at the club.

I think he's saying that, because he sees a slip backward... looking at the league table tells him that... he'll be hoping that it brings focus to the importance of the last 3 games.... you have to have the right attitude, and character to want to win.

And rightly so... he'll be looking for a response on Monday.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 19:41:22 »

It was balmy in The Cambridgeshire sun but time may have been better spent basking by the river than watching a fairly inept display at The Abbey. Never mind. Was happy to be in the presence of legend Calderwood exactly 36 years  to the day he he led us to clinching the 4th division championship at Mansfield. Now that was Barmy!

« Last Edit: Friday, April 19, 2019, 19:44:01 by sir windon » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 19:46:51 »

The bit that I think strange is why play the Wolf and leave Broadbeam on the bench? Surely the Wolf isn't going to be here next year is he?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Flashheart

« Reply #192 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 20:03:37 »

The bit that I think strange is why play the Wolf and leave Broadbeam on the bench? Surely the Wolf isn't going to be here next year is he?

Because he preferred Wolf and we were still in with a shout?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 20:08:09 »

Because he preferred Wolf and we were still in with a shout?
Perhaps.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 21:09:44 »

Time to tear it down & start again.

Loads out, loads in.

Mid table again next year.

Rinse & repeat
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: