Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town - Pre Match Chat/Match Day Thread  (Read 27469 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #225 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 10:11:42 »

Time for Wellens to prepare now for another season in L2 and get rid of the dead wood.

Lancashire, McGlashan, Richards and Robertson all should be freed, Taylor is retiring so thats 5 experienced level wages freed.

I have a feeling Toums, Smith, Vigs and either McCourt or Dunne will be freed, choose to leave or made available for transfer.

The rest have something to offer and should have contracts renewed or at least be told they can fight for a place next season.

McCormick,  Knoyle, Doughty, Anderson, Woolery, Conroy, Broadbent, Rose, Curran, McGilp.

I would try and sign Robinson and Bennett on permanent deals, both of which I feel would accept an offer.

Maybe get Koiki and Carroll in on season loans, Woolf will be playing in the first team in L1 at Ipswich and I don't think House has impressed enough to warrant another loan.

I would probably also try and get back Sid Nelson on a permanent deal as it hasn't worked out for him at Tranmere and he has loads of potential.

We also have Twine, Henry, Iandolo, Romanski, Edwards, Bancroft, Matthews, Young and Pryce who could play a part or maybe go out on a long term loan to see how they progress.

With Wellens/Power/Jewell connections I feel 4 new signings would be about right and compliment what we have along with a couple of young loanees coming in too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 10:40:49 »

You’ve got 8 or 9 leaving but only 4 coming in. Reckon we’ll need 2 or 3 more than that.

Don’t think Twine or Romanski will step up and I haven’t seen any of the other youngsters to form an opinion - apart from Bancroft who at least is built for L2!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #227 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 10:48:23 »

You’ve got 8 or 9 leaving but only 4 coming in. Reckon we’ll need 2 or 3 more than that.

Don’t think Twine or Romanski will step up and I haven’t seen any of the other youngsters to form an opinion - apart from Bancroft who at least is built for L2!
Thats why I said 4 permanant plus a couple more loans.
I feel 4 new signings would be about right and compliment what we have along with a couple of young loanees coming in too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 11:09:22 »

Thats why I said 4 permanant plus a couple more loans.

It's going to be interesting.... my feeling is that Wellens has been preparing for next season for a while.  He has said that he would like to keep a lot of this squad together, and I take at face value on this.  Reasons; they know his requirements, good for squad morale etc. Further he said that players not presently involved could still feature if they're good pros.

However it all comes back to Power and the budget, he needs to show some intent, building sides on the cheap in the vague hope of perhaps finishing 7th, isn't good enough.... we should be aiming to win the league....
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 11:46:00 »

I dont agree with the cheap bit. It's more complicated than that. You need League one capable players to get out of L2, and it's not easy to attract them. We're with 95% of the others fighting for promise. Power has shown he will shell out for that, and large sums I.E Woolery of the current squad. Seems like we have a foundation of decent players for once, so I'm highly optimistic, we'll add what's needed to get out of this hell hole.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 14:15:27 »

I dont agree with the cheap bit. It's more complicated than that. You need League one capable players to get out of L2, and it's not easy to attract them. We're with 95% of the others fighting for promise. Power has shown he will shell out for that, and large sums I.E Woolery of the current squad. Seems like we have a foundation of decent players for once, so I'm highly optimistic, we'll add what's needed to get out of this hell hole.

Sadly spending the odd fee, on a player who Power hopes might have a sell on value, isn't what is required..... the investment needs to be through the squad. It's true that we're in the same boat as most in this league, but you don't need to show intent by spending massive amounts.

Power has more or less trimmed the budget year on year, as we have slipped down the pyramid, ok it fits his model of sustainability,  but we need to turn this around while it is still possible.  It will be interesting to see if there are any signs of proper intent in the summer.... there certainly weren't last season.

Intent for me, would be say signing Theo, and the another credible forward, for competition or to come off the bench, or even sometimes play 2 up front.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 14:28:46 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 15:03:49 »

The defence calls Doughty and Diagouraga to the witness stand.

Both showed intent, it's just that we signed another 3 or 4 for the same position and forgot we needed a front man.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 15:34:29 »

The defence calls Doughty and Diagouraga to the witness stand.

Both showed intent, it's just that we signed another 3 or 4 for the same position and forgot we needed a front man.

Guilty as charged, the summer recruitment never looked like a serious bid for promotion.   Perhaps the reason for recruiting midfielders was a fear about the fitness of T and D.... as to whether Toumani has gone full Nalis, or perhaps with a pre season under his belt might have something to offer next season we'll have to see.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, April 15, 2019, 12:33:13 »

We don't want to destroy the squad to much by letting to many leave, some on them like Dunne will be a decent squad player at this level and with those that know Wellens and how he likes to play can do a job at L2, We don't need to clear the decks but we need to add some more quality and with about 5 leaving anyway as either not in Wellens plans or retiring it will give space in the squad.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: