Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town - Pre Match Chat/Match Day Thread  (Read 27471 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:36:11 »

It’s nowhere near as good to watch as coopers team was

The first half of that season was fun, the wheels did come off a bit towards the end though, we looked poor approaching the play offs.  The we had the oddity of the Sheff utd games followed by Preston.  A full season in 3 games!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #211 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:56:22 »

It’s nowhere near as good to watch as coopers team was
I have to disagree on that, I didn't enjoy that season much at all, yes we played some good football at times but most of the time it was negative backwards passing trying to keep possession at the expense of creating chances, and we hardly ever took a shot from distance.

As Rob says towards the end of the season we played rubbish. The MKD and Shitty games as well as the Preston league game and the PO final were some of the worst I have seen a Town side play.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 20:03:15 »

I liked this comment on the Oldham forum. Hit the nail on the head for me.

I thought they knocked the ball about well, Swindon teams generally do. but they aren't clinical enough in either box to go up.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 20:21:23 »

I thought they knocked the ball about well, Swindon teams generally do. but they aren't clinical enough in either box to go up.

Hindsight is wonderful but their fans only see us twice a year. What is more over recent seasons the teams have been very different every season since power took over.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 20:44:37 »

Why bother, we paid a quarter mill for Thorne from a side who were just about to win the Prem. That sort of thing isn't going to happen.

More likely would be a punt on something like an Elijah or Harry Smith, or both. Flawed players, but have shown something which perhaps could be worked on... further because they're flawed sort of thing we might attract.

Why bother, we paid a quarter mill for Thorne from a side who were just about to win the Prem. That sort of thing isn't going to happen. Are you 100% sure?

More likely would be a punt on something like an Elijah or Harry Smith, or both. Flawed players, but have shown something which perhaps could be worked on... further because they're flawed sort of thing we might attract.   So, a guess then? In other words you are assuming Power, Jewel & Wellens will be happy with any player they think they could improve? Every player at every level has a flaw do they not? This also include loan players, something which you have derided in the past. Now, I know you’ll need to take a lie down because I have questioned your post and invited to do something against your natural personality trait, which is to respond to being questioned.
[/quote]
Flashheart

« Reply #215 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 20:45:28 »

Yep.

If only we had an Ajose/Cox/Parkin/Austin
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 22:00:28 »

Why bother, we paid a quarter mill for Thorne from a side who were just about to win the Prem. That sort of thing isn't going to happen. Are you 100% sure?

More likely would be a punt on something like an Elijah or Harry Smith, or both. Flawed players, but have shown something which perhaps could be worked on... further because they're flawed sort of thing we might attract.  So, a guess then? In other words you are assuming Power, Jewel & Wellens will be happy with any player they think they could improve? Every player at every level has a flaw do they not? This also include loan players, something which you have derided in the past. Now, I know you’ll need to take a lie down because I have questioned your post and invited to do something against your natural personality trait, which is to respond to being questioned.

Fucking hell. You click the Quote link and type your reply. How difficult is it? How is it that this is completely beyond you? FFS
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 22:04:08 »

Yep.

If only we had an Ajose/Cox/Parkin/Austin
Please don't bracket Ajose in the same class as Cox, Parkin and Austin. All three were all consistently excellent in a Town shirt, genuinely the real deal for us. Ajose did well, don't get me wrong, but in a context - he was a small puddle in a desert, so we were very very grateful to see any kind of liquid, and it's easy to get carried away, but he was no oasis.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 06:14:20 »

Ajoae has been shit at Mansfield, their fans hate him.

As Panda Paws says, i wouldnt mind us going in for Padraig Amond
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 07:07:08 »

Ajose will come across as shit at any club which doesn’t have the patience to give him 90 minutes 40 times a season. If you do, as we’ve seen first hand enough times, he will knock in a fair number of goals. Of course, the system also needs to suit him. But our top scoring forward sits on 5 from 42 league games. That is why we have failed to hoover up stacks of easy home games, and that is the main reason why we are going to fall short again. So we have got to give him serious consideration.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 07:22:14 »

You’re right about the system. Problem is it looks like Wellens likes 1 up front with a ‘liquid’ 3 backing him up. I reckon Ajose needs to the ‘little man’ in a conventional 2 up front.

Best thing is, though, Wellens seems to know what he wants, who he wants and how he wants to play.

The lone, high scoring striker is a rare beast.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #221 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 09:12:17 »

You’re right about the system. Problem is it looks like Wellens likes 1 up front with a ‘liquid’ 3 backing him up. I reckon Ajose needs to the ‘little man’ in a conventional 2 up front.

Best thing is, though, Wellens seems to know what he wants, who he wants and how he wants to play.

The lone, high scoring striker is a rare beast.
Wellens has said several times he prefers to play with 2 strikers but currently at the club we don't have 2 strikers that can play together which is why we have played almost every game with a lone striker.

Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 09:31:46 »

When you consider we have the same Goals Against as Bury(50),who are currently in 2nd place,then it really is the lack of an effective striker that has cost us this season.

I would look at someone like Paul McCallum at Eastleigh,25 years old,scores for fun at lower level sides.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #223 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 09:46:54 »

If you look at Nation/South/North level all of these would fit the criteria of being under 25 and all 20+ scorers (in all competitions) this season.

The following is League goals.

Jamie Reid - Torquay aged 24 and 28 goals
Kabongo Tshimanga - Oxford City aged 21 and 22 goals
Kurt Willoughby - FC United aged 21 and 17 goals
Tyler Harvey - Truro aged 23 and 18 goals
Paul McCallum - Eastleigh aged 25 and 25 goals
Macauley Bonne - Leyton Orient aged 23 and 23 goals
Daniel Udoh - telford aged 22 and 19 goal

All young and with decent scoring records in lower leagues.

Yes I know Hylton had a good record but TBH he was never given a decent run in the side anyway.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 09:49:59 by Peter Venkman » Logged

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, April 14, 2019, 09:51:56 »

That’s cos he was useless. The bandy legged fucker!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: