Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town - Pre Match Chat/Match Day Thread  (Read 27472 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:07:52 »

Credit to Wellens, he has found a way to make the front line look a threat and earlier in the season it looked more likely they were a threat to each other as nobody seemed to know where they were supposed to be playing.  he's also finding a tune from Knoyle going forward.  Will be an interesting post season to see how he develops the team, who he manages to in down, who he brings in etc.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:10:50 by RobertT » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #181 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:10:19 »

Also full credit to Wellens for getting Anderson loking like a footballer.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:10:51 »

First time I've genuinely thought season over. Need an Easter miracle with us winning both and either Exeter or FGR not winning either of their games.

Wellens is doing well though. Looking forward to seeing what sort of team he puts together in the summer.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:12:01 »

it'll be interesting to see what he does with the forward line.

the front 3 cause opposition all kinds of problems but you wouldn't back them to score enough between them to take us up.

stick or twist?

think he's going to have to change it myself.
Flashheart

« Reply #184 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:12:23 »

I love Robinson he brings so much pace and strength to the side but his finishing is at times woeful and probably cost us 3 wins now after Newport, Yeovil and Today when he had some great chances to score.

Same here. He's a good player, but we need a goalscorer.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:15:32 »

it'll be interesting to see what he does with the forward line.

the front 3 cause opposition all kinds of problems but you wouldn't back them to score enough between them to take us up.

stick or twist?

think he's doing to have to change it myself.

I think he will focus on the Robinson role, but I am not sure it will be him.  Robinson is close to what we need, certainly better than others who have played there.  I would not be surprised to see Bennett signed and for the first time I'd be happy retaining both Woolery and Anderson.  The latter could be the one to be switched out if Wellens can sign two different types of forward.

I think we are a whisler away - we have actually scored a few in 2019 and seemed more secure at the back, most of the time.  Imagine the team we have had playing in the past three with someone like Thorne up top.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #186 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:20:07 »

As we all know out and out goalscorers are rare at any level, I am sure if the right player comes up then Power will buy one but you will probably need to go down a league or 2 to get one we could realistically afford.

Conference South or North level maybe, who is still under 25 but willing to make the step up to league level.

Flashheart

« Reply #187 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:27:59 »

They're not 'that' rare. Quite a few clubs have them even in this league. A 1 in 3 striker will probably do us as they'll get enough chances.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:28:09 »

Imagine the team we have had playing in the past three with someone like Thorne up top.

Why bother, we paid a quarter mill for Thorne from a side who were just about to win the Prem. That sort of thing isn't going to happen.

More likely would be a punt on something like an Elijah or Harry Smith, or both. Flawed players, but have shown something which perhaps could be worked on... further because they're flawed sort of thing we might attract.
Panda Paws

« Reply #189 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:32:50 »

I think we'll go for a proven league two Striker. Amond, Kane Hemmings... Someone like that.
Flashheart

« Reply #190 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:34:03 »

I think we'll go for a proven league two Striker. Amond, Kane Hemmings... Someone like that.

Power's shown time and time again that he is willing to invest, despite what some would have you believe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #191 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:41:06 »

I would like us to take a punt on Danny Rowe of Fylde in the Conference.

169 goals in 4 seasons even though hes 30 you can't knock that strike rate.

26 goals this season with just 3 of them being penalties.

Fylde turned down a £50k bid in January from an unnamed league club.

I have a feeling we will make an offer for John Marquis, Wellens played with him for a couple of years at Doncaster and Power is known to be a fan of his while he was at Millwall, still only 26 and out of contract in the Summer. He is the big target man we need who knows where the net is too.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 16:49:00 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:09:30 »

I would like us to take a punt on Danny Rowe of Fylde in the Conference.

169 goals in 4 seasons even though hes 30 you can't knock that strike rate.

26 goals this season with just 3 of them being penalties.

Fylde turned down a £50k bid in January from an unnamed league club.

I have a feeling we will make an offer for John Marquis, Wellens played with him for a couple of years at Doncaster and Power is known to be a fan of his while he was at Millwall, still only 26 and out of contract in the Summer. He is the big target man we need who knows where the net is too.

I posted about Marquis....

I've heard that we're lining up John Marquis from Millwall as replacement....Power likes Marquis, not so much for his goalscoring record, which isn't great but because he's also a Lewisham boy.

At the time he couldn't get a game at Millwall, and their fans thought him a donkey.... Donny took a punt and he scored plenty.   Div 3 players of his calibre are going to be well beyond our capability...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #193 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:15:24 »

At the time he couldn't get a game at Millwall, and their fans thought him a donkey.... Donny took a punt and he scored plenty.   Div 3 players of his calibre are going to be well beyond our capability...
According to many Bennett was way beyond our capability.

Who knows the pulling power of Wellens? and he is out of contract and maybe he fancies the challenge, who are we to say?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:17:33 »

I think signing Theo is the most likely outcome.... he'll probably hope to get something a bit better, but he's not that great so you never know.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: