Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town - Pre Match Chat/Match Day Thread  (Read 27634 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #195 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:21:20 »

I think signing Theo is the most likely outcome.... he'll probably hope to get something a bit better, but he's not that great so you never know.

Theo will sign but not as first choice.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:23:15 »

According to many Bennett was way beyond our capability.

Who knows the pulling power of Wellens? and he is out of contract and maybe he fancies the challenge, who are we to say?

Bennett is on loan... Marquis has 59 in 130, Donny are in the PO's... he can expect to get a top end Div 3 club who spend a bit of money, an Ipswich might suit.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:26:09 »

Theo will sign but not as first choice.

We definitely need an extra body up front for competition.... that was the first clear error of the summer recruitment, move on Luke and Mullin and replace them with a loan kid, never gonna work.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #198 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:26:57 »

Never say never.

We as fans can only guess what goes on at clubs or what is and isn't beyond our capability.

Yes it may be pie in the sky but aim high and get knocked down.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 17:35:46 »

Never say never.

We as fans can only guess what goes on at clubs or what is and isn't beyond our capability.

Yes it may be pie in the sky but aim high and get knocked down.

I prefer to look at the Power patterns, and that is always to do things on the cheap.... now in Div 4 the likes of Accy and Wycombe have shown, it can still lead to success. More often than not it won't, but it is conceivable.

This season when we shifted on Luke and Mullin, and had just got the Flint windfall, I think the likes of Flasher might have thought Power had a bit of a name striker lined up for maybe a £150K or similar.... but no.

Nick Ajose, must be about out of contract at Charlton...  Hmmm
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:00:14 »

Since, and including, Franchise, this is our form:

Won 5, Drawn 5, Lost 2, 20 GF, 11 GA.

Woolery, Robinson and Bennett have 4 each, Doughty has 3 and Anderson has 2.  Doughty missed a lot of those games as well, starting only 3, so 1 in 1 ratio for him.  Robinson, Woolery and Bennett have 1 in 3 records.

Wellens has built a way of extracting the goals from the entire frontline - the problem we've had is individual games and having given ourselves too much to do.

Anderson is probably one you would need a bit more from during that run, or you'd like to have had Doughty in the team.  I actually think, if we did end-up retaining that group for next season, Wellens seems to be able to extract what we would need from them.

The defence seems likely to be as is, with Broadbent replacing Woolfenden.  Give Rose a season or two and we have the making's of a good team.  If he does pull out a gem to fill the role Robinson fills then I think we could be in for a much better season in 19/20.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:05:32 »

In fact, that form would have you on 60 points with 10 games to go in a season, you'd have 3 players with 12 goals each.

Ultimately, I am finding myself looking forward to watching games right now.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #202 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:06:25 »

This, much more than I have in years TBH, probably since pre Wembley play off days.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:07:03 »

the gf/GA has surprised me
Peter Venkman

« Reply #204 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:10:04 »

The football we are playing under Wellens is better to watch than we have had in many years, far better than under Cooper, Flipflop, Brown and I would even suggest PdC even if we were harder to beat under him the style of football is much more pleasing on the eye.

I just truly wish we could cut out one or 2 errors at the back and that we could actually make the keepers playing against to be forced into making saves. Too many times we shoot but its wide, but its good that at last we are actually getting shots at goal even they are wayward.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:13:38 »

We had 20 today, only four on target.

We are getting there though.
Flashheart

« Reply #206 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:15:32 »

This is the best bit.

When Flitcroft arrived. I was willing to sacrifice entertainment for results. Now, having had a taster of a season under Flitcroft, I find myself wanting the opposite. The added bonus for me is that I think Wellens can deliver both.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #207 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:16:14 »

We had 20 today, only four on target.

We are getting there though.
Compared to earlier in the season, even only 10 games ago the difference is massive. For me Bennett has made the difference, hes always willing to take a pot shot and add to that a couple of long range goals from Anderson and Woolery its much better than walking the ball into the net or over passing as we have done so often in the last 3 years or more.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:19:59 »

In fact, that form would have you on 60 points with 10 games to go in a season, you'd have 3 players with 12 goals each.

No doubt, Wellens has improved things, and it isn't really his fault that it isn't enough.  However, at no stage this season have we really looked like getting into the mix and as such have been playing without pressure.... that will be the challenge for next season, can we grind out some wins especially at the CG v teams with poor away records, who largely look to spoil.

It seems like it should be an easy thing to resolve, but we've failed to beat 8 of the bottom half of the table, only beating Macc in the opener and Morcambe since. 2 to go.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:35:00 »

The football we are playing under Wellens is better to watch than we have had in many years, far better than under Cooper, Flipflop, Brown and I would even suggest PdC even if we were harder to beat under him the style of football is much more pleasing on the eye.

I just truly wish we could cut out one or 2 errors at the back and that we could actually make the keepers playing against to be forced into making saves. Too many times we shoot but its wide, but its good that at last we are actually getting shots at goal even they are wayward.

It’s nowhere near as good to watch as coopers team was

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: