Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport v Swindon Town FC Official Match Day Thread  (Read 32616 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 13:38:20 »

Is the Reynolds Arena still a thing?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 13:45:50 »

Is the Reynolds Arena still a thing?

Yep. The local Rugby Union club play there.
Not sure how many they get, but might be a fair few empty seats.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 14:25:21 »

Yep. The local Rugby Union club play there.
Not sure how many they get, but might be a fair few empty seats.

I think you mean the Northern Echo Arena......

They get around 1-1.5k I think, which in a 25K seater isn't going to be great, although in a Jed McCroryesq twist whilst the stadium can seat 25k they can only actually sell 10k tickets for games due to planning issues with access.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 14:29:06 »

On to better things? What a match at Spurs? Cheesy

Actually my old dad is one of those that was there but has passed by the wayside...but ironically he is under the goal at the Town End anyway so I guess is is still there Smiley

I was there too.

(My dear old Uncle Edgar's ashes were scattered in the Stratton Bank goal area)
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 20:26:08 »

As i only lived a mile from Greenham common, we used to go taunt the peace women on a friday night. Not proud of it, but it happened. Thats as about as relevant as putting those sort of comments in a football post as you do.
Did they not realise that the  nukey bits were at Welford  Girl Giggle
crystall Tips

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 20:43:06 »

I woz there standing in old Shrivvy Road I think
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Thursday, April 11, 2019, 21:07:57 »

Did they not realise that the  nukey bits were at Welford  Girl Giggle

Not sure how true, but there were always whispers and rumours of an underground railway that linked Aldermaston, Burghfield, Greenham and Welford, they certainly moved stuff around in trucks at the dead of night. Big stuff.
Combe Up

« Reply #307 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 01:22:10 »

As i only lived a mile from Greenham common, we used to go taunt the peace women on a friday night. Not proud of it, but it happened. Thats as about as relevant as putting those sort of comments in a football post as you do.
Why are you not proud of campaigning for your  beliefs?

I'm surprised you got so close to them due to the stench.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 09:27:44 »

Not sure how true, but there were always whispers and rumours of an underground railway that linked Aldermaston, Burghfield, Greenham and Welford, they certainly moved stuff around in trucks at the dead of night. Big stuff.

The whole history of the development of the bomb, Britain's research into nuclear fission and then the desire for an independent weapon is fascinating....

I can just about remember the fuss when Klaus Fuchs was released from prison, although too young to understand what it was all about.

Churchill gave away all our research to the Americans..... it was the Atlee government who insisted we had an independent deterent, although post war the country could scarce afford it.

We ended up with the V bombers, and I know there are a few fans of the Vulcan on here... Batch?  There is an interestingish exhibition of paintings by local artist David Bent in Bath Road atm..... which includes a painting of a Vulcan whcih might or might not get the juices going in a Vulcanologist.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 12, 2019, 09:32:52 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #309 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 09:31:34 »

I'm surprised you got so close to them due to the stench.
TBF back then me and some mates used to drive up from Swindon just to witness it, we didn't abuse them but watched them with some revultion at the time as teenagers.

We would often go on a Friday for a drive, go round the perimitter and stare a bit and get repulsed by the awful stench, which genuinely was stomach churning.

To this day I could not tell you why we did that, we did nothing while we were there and like Sutton I am not proud of it but still we did it and I don't know why. I guess it was just human nature of going to see how the other half lived. Rubbernecking as it were.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 09:36:43 »

TBF back then me and some mates used to drive up from Swindon just to witness it, we didn't abuse them but watched them with some revultion at the time as teenagers.

We would often go on a Friday for a drive, go round the perimitter and stare a bit and get repulsed by the awful stench, which genuinely was stomach churning.

To this day I could not tell you why we did that, we did nothing while we were there and like Sutton I am not proud of it but still we did it and I don't know why. I guess it was just human nature of going to see how the other half lived. Rubbernecking as it were.

I cycled over from Swindon a couple of times to express solidarity... and was basically told to fuck off. Fair enough.  Once could have been circumstances, twice I got the message.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #311 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 09:51:05 »

I cycled over from Swindon a couple of times to express solidarity... and was basically told to fuck off. Fair enough.  Once could have been circumstances, twice I got the message.
I got the feeling back then that any form of male solidarity or backing was the last thing most of them wanted at that point in time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 09:57:23 »

I got the feeling back then that any form of male solidarity or backing was the last thing most of them wanted at that point in time.

Yep... as I said fair enough, I know I'm not immune to sexist behaviour... it's always good to have your behaviour questioned.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 10:11:58 »

That Darlington game in 83/84 is the STFC version of the Sex Pistols gig at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester,everyone claims to have been there Cheesy

I wasn't,unfortunately/fortunately
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Friday, April 12, 2019, 10:22:16 »

That Darlington game in 83/84 is the STFC version of the Sex Pistols gig at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester,everyone claims to have been there Cheesy

I wasn't,unfortunately/fortunately

I saw the Sex Pistols at the Union bar of Brunel University, Uxbridge.  I went on my own and have never met anyone else who was there.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: