Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Yeovil pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 30165 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 14:11:26 »

That is indeed true, nobody has ever said otherwise, but you stated improve our home form, which Wellens has done, dramatically so it could be said after how we started. But yes of course too many daws in there but still unbeaten in 6 at home which Cooper, McDonald, Ling, Williams, Flitcroft and Brown never managed.

Flitcroft won 5 in a row before he bailed, which in terms of points is a better yield than Wellens' 3 wins 3 draws.  Overall at the same stage as last season we're a bit worse off, and that is reflected by always playing catch up whereas last year we were mostly in the mix.

The immediate danger for Wellens is that with difficult trips to Newport and Oldham, both could go above us, if the players now mentally head for the beach.... further yesterday's draw, means that avoiding defeat at Whaddon is now necessary for taking the Glos/Wilts/Somerset mini league, which sadly with Yeovil's seeming relegation, will be the last version.

Incidentally yesterday's effort was the Glover's only point....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #226 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 14:24:35 »

For someone so ingrained in stats, you do seem averse to accepting them Reg.

The home form HAS IMPROVED.  FACT!

Won three and drawn three, 11 goals for, 2 against, 4 clean sheets.  Could have easily been 5 wins with better finishing as we have been the dominant team in them all (the stats confirm that, as does the watching of those games).

Wellens has the 4th/5th best form of the division over his entire stretch, which is clearly better than ok compared to where we were when he took over.

He has ticked all the boxes you would have asked for and he has got us close to being the in play off spots with 6 games left to go.  We probably have a little too much to do, but he's made it interesting when you were telling us all to worry about the trap door when he took over.

I really don't see why it is so hard to say he has done a good job.

Nobody is saying his is the Messiah, and we all know next season has nothing to do with this one.  Lets just enjoy the fact he's turned us around for now.

This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 15:40:11 »

For someone so ingrained in stats, you do seem averse to accepting them Reg.

The home form HAS IMPROVED.  FACT!

Won three and drawn three, 11 goals for, 2 against, 4 clean sheets.  Could have easily been 5 wins with better finishing as we have been the dominant team in them all (the stats confirm that, as does the watching of those games).

Wellens has the 4th/5th best form of the division over his entire stretch, which is clearly better than ok compared to where we were when he took over.

He has ticked all the boxes you would have asked for and he has got us close to being the in play off spots with 6 games left to go.  We probably have a little too much to do, but he's made it interesting when you were telling us all to worry about the trap door when he took over.

I really don't see why it is so hard to say he has done a good job.

Nobody is saying his is the Messiah, and we all know next season has nothing to do with this one.  Lets just enjoy the fact he's turned us around for now.

Indeed the home form has improved a bit.... Brown got 1.25 points a game.... Wellens has 1.38.  Of course an improvement is welcome, and as I've said Wellens isn't culpable for it not being enough to mount a proper PO push. 

However it was needed as we turned the year at Macc, in grave danger of being half a dozen points off them in 17th place, that was at 1-0 down and Vigs presenting them with an open goal for 2-0.  That was a key win as it halted the slide and enabled us to start to move back towards or even at times into the top half... which is where we are now... poor results this week and we can easily drop down into te bottom half again. It's been that sort of season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 16:07:07 »

And our form since and including then, won 7, drawn 4 and lost 3.  Away form is won 4 and lost 2.

So, it is more likely that we will get some good results rather than bad ones (not probable, just that the form suggests we stand more chance of winning than losing).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 16:59:08 »

And our form since and including then, won 7, drawn 4 and lost 3.  Away form is won 4 and lost 2.

So, it is more likely that we will get some good results rather than bad ones (not probable, just that the form suggests we stand more chance of winning than losing).

Nobody has said Wellens isn't doing OK, or that he's not improved on Brown, but to give some sort of context, if you compare Wellens' 23 game tenure to Flitcroft last 23 games, and remember you regarded Flitcroft as terrible... Flitcroft had one more point.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 17:51:35 »

You are good at picking out quotes, so you'll no doubt have plenty to choose from where my views on Flitcroft were not specifically results based.  We will never be Liverpool or Man Utd, so having some fun while watching our usual abject results is always a plus.  I simply did not enjoy very many, if any, of the games he was in charge for.

Wellens is combining results with games that are generally ok to watch (there have been some exceptions of course).  Their records at a points per game level are very similar right now, I know which one I'd prefer to watch.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 18:08:57 »

Nobody has said Wellens isn't doing OK, or that he's not improved on Brown, but to give some sort of context, if you compare Wellens' 23 game tenure to Flitcroft last 23 games, and remember you regarded Flitcroft as terrible... Flitcroft had one more point.

I think you have to consider that Flitcrofts situation was based on building the team over the summer to his specification - Wellens’ Is in light of walking into mid season mediocrity and trying to implement a system and new players mid season

You can’t put a numerical factor on that, but If there points totals are the same id suggest it reflects more favourably on Wellens than Flitcroft

Things get better but they never get good
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 18:19:35 »

I think you have to consider that Flitcrofts situation was based on building the team over the summer to his specification - Wellens’ Is in light of walking into mid season mediocrity and trying to implement a system and new players mid season

You can’t put a numerical factor on that, but If there points totals are the same id suggest it reflects more favourably on Wellens than Flitcroft
Very much this.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 18:22:51 »

You are good at picking out quotes, so you'll no doubt have plenty to choose from where my views on Flitcroft were not specifically results based.  We will never be Liverpool or Man Utd, so having some fun while watching our usual abject results is always a plus.  I simply did not enjoy very many, if any, of the games he was in charge for.

Wellens is combining results with games that are generally ok to watch (there have been some exceptions of course).  Their records at a points per game level are very similar right now, I know which one I'd prefer to watch.

For me, in Div 4, you'll not go anywhere with an overemphasis on playing pretty football..... you can have a bit, but the time honoured verities of being able to battle, grind a win or perhaps an important point out of adversity are still all important.

That's Wellens challenge for next season.... can he give us that bit extra.... find more goals from set pieces etc.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 18:55:58 »

You make a fair point, but nevertheless you make summer squad building sound easy relative to inheriting something and making it better.  I'm not sure it is.  Both tasks will test a manager's abilities in different ways.  Then fans and owners will judge largely on points gained.

As regards next season I'm encouraged by Wellens saying he wants to keep some of this season's players, of course the players may have other ideas, but a bit of continuity wouldn't go amiss.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 19:00:07 »

For me, in Div 4, you'll not go anywhere with an overemphasis on playing pretty football..... you can have a bit, but the time honoured verities of being able to battle, grind a win or perhaps an important point out of adversity are still all important.

That's Wellens challenge for next season.... can he give us that bit extra.... find more goals from set pieces etc.
    That is the case in all divisions, not just ours.   However,  let's stop waffling on about Flitcrot, he was shit, his management skills were shit and his style of play was shite.  Good riddance,  just a pity he hadn't gone earlier in the season.   As far as I'm concerned the confidence and style of play are a different class.  Flitcroft has gone Reg, let's move on, Wellens is a major improvement, whether you like it or not. Please stop trying to defend him.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 19:07:59 »

That is the case in al divisions, not just ours.   However,  let's stop waffling on about Flitcrot, he was shit, his management skills were shit and his style of play was shite.  Good riddance,  just a pity he hadn't gone earlier in the season.   As far as I'm concerned the confidence and style of play are a different class.  Flitcroft has gone Reg, let's move on, Wellens is a major improvement, whether you like it or not. Please stop trying to defend him.

You miss the point.... Flitcroft is just used as an example in the argument. Last season, most as you are still doing rated Flitcroft as useless, whereas I said he did OK.... now this season I'm rating Wellens as doing OK, they have similar points totals over a similar run of games.  I judge on points.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 19:51:18 »

come on reg, Wellens has been somewhat hamstrung in transfer manoeuvres.

we don't know whether hell get better players in during the summer, but that's what he should be judged on
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 20:04:07 »

come on reg, Wellens has been somewhat hamstrung in transfer manoeuvres.

we don't know whether hell get better players in during the summer, but that's what he should be judged on

He'll be judged on results using the players left behind and those new recruits he can muster.... not much point yet in speculating  on how that might look, but we know Wellens has said he'd like to keep a lot of this squad together, and then it'll be down to Power's budget, for reinforcements, which will probably mean some freebies and loans.
Flashheart

« Reply #239 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 20:21:31 »

For fuck's sake! The Reg show again?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: