Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Yeovil pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 29889 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 18:35:10 »

Wellens isn't culpable for not being able to bridge the gap... he's done OK, to steer us to the mid table.  I don't think it possible to speculate how next season might look until we know its make up and how we recruit. For example Salford are now top of the Conference and they'll have a budget way in excess of ours, further the  likes of Eastleigh, Leyton Orient and Wrexham who are in the mix, spent more on agents fees in player recruitment over the last year, which does indicate a bigger budget.

He has produced a team that is 4th best in the league under his watch, doing so from a team you suggested needed to be in fear of losing it's league place.  I'd say that is better than ok, and he's moving us towards the top end of the mid table range, maybe even sneaking into the top third if he can sustain it.

Agents fees paid by clubs is more likely a reflection of their structures as we get to this level - paying agents to bring players in, as I imagine it will not include the fees players pay their agents.  There is a possibility that the Jewell link has helped here.  Either way, the January window was a success, who gives a shit what the budget was?  We've had a good budget and fucked it up before.  I'd still hazard a guess we are a top half budget at least, in terms of total wages.  Bury are doing a good job of showing that big budgets without funding may well come back to bite you.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 18:39:59 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 18:38:28 »

Diagouraga looked well short of fitness when he played last.

mind you he's played so little he's rusty too.

agree an on form and fit Diagouraga is superior. I'm going he shows he's got back to fitness by next season, but suspect he'll be off
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 19:00:57 »

Every team needs a Carroll type.
He got a good assist for their equaliser, but wouldn't blame him too much, the dogs in the street could see the equaliser was coming and we failed to deal with it as a team. We were shit today. On the upside, I was able to say to my lad at halftime "There you are, now you can tell your grandchildren you saw Keshi Anderson score, not many people will be able to make that claim". A little piece of history
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 19:04:49 »

League table never lies at this stage...

Dominated the first half and should of been further ahead..

Second half invited pressure..,equaliser was coming from the 47th minute.

We are a good side but not a great one ...great sides win or battle fro promotion..

Onwards to Season 19/20....

Clems Army!
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 19:15:46 »

We lost that game in the first half.  Yeovil were clueless at the back and toothless up front.  We got into countless good positions and couldn't produce the incisive final pass or the clinical finish. 

We won't go up.  Yeovil will go down.

What happens if Bury goes completely bust, only one team goes down?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47821914
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Saturday, April 6, 2019, 19:36:53 »

He has produced a team that is 4th best in the league under his watch, doing so from a team you suggested needed to be in fear of losing it's league place.  I'd say that is better than ok, and he's moving us towards the top end of the mid table range, maybe even sneaking into the top third if he can sustain it.

Agents fees paid by clubs is more likely a reflection of their structures as we get to this level - paying agents to bring players in, as I imagine it will not include the fees players pay their agents.  There is a possibility that the Jewell link has helped here.  Either way, the January window was a success, who gives a shit what the budget was?  We've had a good budget and fucked it up before.  I'd still hazard a guess we are a top half budget at least, in terms of total wages.  Bury are doing a good job of showing that big budgets without funding may well come back to bite you.

5th best.... probably Duff at Cheltenham has the best record of adding on late points, and certainly a win at Whaddon Road would be a stand out achievement for Wellens. Doing OK is sufficient to keep you in a job.... as regards budgets, it's only a guide, but generally those spending a bit of money will tend to be more successful, but we know in Div 4 it is possible to to make a little go a long way.

So for example Brown started the season OK, but it quickly went downhill, and he couldn't quite reverse that trend..... hence sacked. Wellens has certainly shown enough to merit a crack at next season.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 02:10:05 »

Vigs text wellens at 9.37pm on Thursday evening that he'd be at a funeral on Friday.
His own by the sounds of it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 08:42:57 »

Shiteyfuckknackers.
That's the in depth analysis out of the way.

Theo gets 3 points on the license for finishing without due care and attention.
He's allowed an off day I guess, has been mainly very good so far.

An ability to see out a nervy 1-0 win would be a good attribute, for a team with promotion aspirations, to have next season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #218 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 09:36:48 »

Carroll likes a tackle and can pass from time to time, so is a better Dunne.  he's in to break the play up.

I agree with this & I do like Carroll but Diagouraga is a far superior player. I can only assume he doesn't fit into Wellens' style of play as he is fit now & didn't even make the bench today (behind Dunne & McCourt in the pecking order.

I agree with both of these.

The play off chase is all but over after that, I love him but yesterday I am afraid Robinson must take the brunt of the blame for not killing off Yokels, he should have had 2 or 3 goals by half time.

Hes not been at the races the last couple of games not that I would play Richards ahead of him but it could be time to blood House the start and see what he can do and use Robinson as an impact sub later on in a game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 10:35:50 »

His own by the sounds of it.

Yep, dont think we’ll be seeing him in the team again. To be honest if he doesnt want to be here, dont play him, keep with McCormick and carry on preparing for next season
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 10:37:57 »

The play off chase is all but over after that, I love him but yesterday I am afraid Robinson must take the brunt of the blame for not killing off Yokels, he should have had 2 or 3 goals by half time.

It never really got started, other than in a mathematical sense of if we win our next 10 games etc....

The problem that Wellens needs to solve is still the home form.... we won the first 2 and have had 5 further wins in the next 19, we'll not get very far with similar results next season.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #221 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 11:14:36 »

The problem that Wellens needs to solve is still the home form.... we won the first 2 and have had 5 further wins in the next 19, we'll not get very far with similar results next season.
Thats the ironic thing, we have now gone 6 games at home without losing, the first time since PdC was with us in the 2012-13 season.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 11:42:35 »

Thats the ironic thing, we have now gone 6 games at home without losing, the first time since PdC was with us in the 2012-13 season.

Had we won the 6 we'd be in the mix, until we can build a side that can be more reliable, we'll be hanging about in Div 4.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #223 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 13:35:24 »

Had we won the 6 we'd be in the mix, until we can build a side that can be more reliable, we'll be hanging about in Div 4.
That is indeed true, nobody has ever said otherwise, but you stated improve our home form, which Wellens has done, dramatically so it could be said after how we started. But yes of course too many daws in there but still unbeaten in 6 at home which Cooper, McDonald, Ling, Williams, Flitcroft and Brown never managed.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 14:04:06 »

For someone so ingrained in stats, you do seem averse to accepting them Reg.

The home form HAS IMPROVED.  FACT!

Won three and drawn three, 11 goals for, 2 against, 4 clean sheets.  Could have easily been 5 wins with better finishing as we have been the dominant team in them all (the stats confirm that, as does the watching of those games).

Wellens has the 4th/5th best form of the division over his entire stretch, which is clearly better than ok compared to where we were when he took over.

He has ticked all the boxes you would have asked for and he has got us close to being the in play off spots with 6 games left to go.  We probably have a little too much to do, but he's made it interesting when you were telling us all to worry about the trap door when he took over.

I really don't see why it is so hard to say he has done a good job.

Nobody is saying his is the Messiah, and we all know next season has nothing to do with this one.  Lets just enjoy the fact he's turned us around for now.

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 7, 2019, 14:06:09 by RobertT » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: