Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: In 1969..........  (Read 8552 times)
Combe Up

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, March 17, 2019, 07:15:11 »

Started off in the pub I was in. Not sure if it had spread from others before. That 6000 figure has always irritated me, as that was the away end capacity. We filled the Neutral fans bit as well which didn't count on the away following. There were another 1500/2000 in there with us,

I remember the bitterly cold wind whipping in off the Thames.

Putney End capacity 7,281 - ketchup http://www.fulhamfc.com/help/faq/visiting-the-cottage#stadiuminformation

I'm glad I irritate you.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 04:51:21 »

When was this song made up? I had a hiatus from watching Town live, and when I returned sometime in the 21st century those darned pesky yoof had dreamt it up. Who is responsible and when?

I remember first hearing it away at Doncaster in Iffys first game in charge.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:03:42 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/mar/19/david-squires-on-the-50th-anniversary-of-swindons-greatest-moment-in-sport

David Squires does his damndest to make us the central focus of the day on the Guardian Sport website. What a good egg.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 11:57:34 »

Does everyone know the story of our mascot, Wembley's first? I didn't (damned if I can find the photo now).
--
To paraphrase grossly:

It wasn't unusual for the team to have a single mascot for an entire season, and so it transpired in 1969. The then 5 year old girl whose name I shamefully forget was that mascot.

When we got to Wembley a great day out beckoned for all.  Except that was swiftly ruined for the mascot (and the marching band) because Wembley didn't allow such things.

So mother and daughter travelled on the coach, the mother so angry at the decision that the tickets were not to be used by them.

Everyone else went into the ground, mother and daughter exit stage left only for the mother to "feint".

What you probably don't appreciate is that back in the day, there were no medical rooms and no whisking off to hospital. Instead you were taken to the St John Ambulance station by the side of the pitch.

When the teams cam out a miraculous recovery ensued, daughter was stripped out of her tracksuit and onto the pitch along with her giant teddy bear for nearly 100,000 people to see!

Wembley change their minds about mascots on that day, and the FA cup final saw the first invited mascots to a match Smiley
--
I got a brief chat with said mascot after the Trust Mecca meeting. She says she remembers it all like yesterday, and that when Swindon scored her mum feinted for real and missed quite a lot of the game.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 12:23:02 by Batch » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 12:01:10 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/mar/19/david-squires-on-the-50th-anniversary-of-swindons-greatest-moment-in-sport

David Squires does his damndest to make us the central focus of the day on the Guardian Sport website. What a good egg.

Utterly brilliant.
Panda Paws

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 12:18:41 »

Does everyone know the story of our mascot, Wembley's first? I didn't (damned if I can find the photo now).
--
To paraphrase grossly:

It wasn't unusual for the team to have a single mascot for an entire season, and so it transpired in 1969. The then 5 year old girl whose name I shamefully forget was that mascot.

When we got to Wembley a great day out beckoned for all.  Except that was swiftly ruined for the mascot (and the marching band) because Wembley didn't allow such things.

So mother and daughter travelled on the coach, the mother so angry at the decision that the tickets were not to be used by them.

Everyone else went into the ground, mother and daughter exit stage left only for the mother to "feint".

What you probably don't appreciate is that back in the day, there were no medical rooms and no whisking off to hospital. Instead you were taken to the St John Ambulance station by the side of the pitch.

When the teams cam out a miraculous recovery ensured, daughter was stripped out of her tracksuit and onto the pitch along with her giant teddy bear for nearly 100,000 people to see!

Wembley change their minds about mascots on that day, and the FA cup final saw the first invited mascots to a match Smiley
--
I got a brief chat with said mascot after the Trust Mecca meeting. She says she remembers it all like yesterday, and that when Swindon scored her mum feinted for real and missed quite a lot of the game.

That is a fantastic story.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 13:05:09 »

--
To paraphrase grossly:

When we got to Wembley a great day out beckoned for all.  Except that was swiftly ruined for the mascot (and the marching band) because Wembley didn't allow such things.

When the teams cam out a miraculous recovery ensued, daughter was stripped out of her tracksuit and onto the pitch along with her giant teddy bear for nearly 100,000 people to see!

--

BBC Swindon did an interview with her pre game on Saturday, I am pretty sure they said she was Danny Williams daughter? but I wasn't paying much attention TBH.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 13:12:11 »

A google suggests her name is Carol Birt?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 13:19:30 »

Yes something on the BBC page says

Carol Birt's grandmother sold the complimentary tickets the family got for her being mascot and her Wembley dream was seemingly over before it had begun.

The then six-year-old needed her brother's decisiveness to get to London, her grandmother made amends with cunning ingenuity to get her into the ground and before long she was wading through the mud for a memorable day.

I probably misheard as I wasn't paying much attention.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 13:53:45 »

Quote from: horlock07
A google suggests her name is Carol Birt?

yes that's it I think

her brother was mascot before her, and is now honey vice singing or other on the trust.

----++
I also met the 🐻
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 14:00:34 »

and is now honey vice singing or other on the trust.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 14:20:05 »

Honorary vice something or other on the trust? Is Batch starting the weekly quiz off again?  Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 14:22:52 »

yes that's it I think

her brother was mascot before her, and is now honey vice singing or other on the trust.

----++
I also met the 🐻

As they would say round here........

Eh?Huh?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 17:47:43 »

yes that's it I think

her brother was mascot before her, and is now honorary vice something or other in the trust.

----++
I also met the 🐻
bastard auto correct.

fixed
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 17:48:49 »

Honorary, it's honorary  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print