Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v STFC officially early thread.  (Read 30877 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 15:07:17 »

I have no idea. A lot also depends on how well or otherwise those above us do.

All I can see is that we could effectively be 4 points adrift with 9 games left. It's bonkers to write us off. There may well come a point where the distance is too great for the number of games/points remaining but we have not reached that point yet. Not even close.

Fair enough
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 16:58:04 »

Fair enough

Not though is it.... we cannot be effectively be 4 points adrift with 9 to play, further increasingly GD comes in, and so a point should be added on. The best we could hope for with a win on Sat is effectively a six point gap.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 17:16:57 »

no, I mean fair enough he has his view and doesn't want to put a figure on things.

my view is there's no way we'll make the POs.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 17:21:41 »

Realistically we would need to win at least 6 of our last 10 games to have even a slight chance.
Considering we've only won 13 of 36 this season it's a big ask. Not out of the question, but highly unlikely.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 17:22:00 »

I concur.  We just don't look able to sustain a run, the team has a game like yesterday in it still.  Wellens has us looking much more effective most of the time, but he has been dealt a hand.  A hand with lots of good thumbs but no index finger.

Missing the play offs will be a failure for the season and Brown can pick that one up, because I do think Wellens would have had us there with a full season.  You can carry a Stevenage performance when overall balance is provided.  He just doesn't have the wriggle room for them given where he took over.  Was very unsure of him on arrival, quite liking him so far, big summer ahead though.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 17:22:38 »

, I could not help but wonder wtf are we doing playing in the same league as the likes of Stevenage?.  

Not only in the same league as them but 2 points behind them.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 17:33:34 »

no, I mean fair enough he has his view and doesn't want to put a figure on things.

I just prefer factual accuracy... and we can't be 4 points adrift after Saturday.   We need to win Saturday, because losing 3 in a row wouldn't look good for Wellens.. the only other time we've lost 2 in a row this season was Brown's last game followed by Wellens' first.

It won't be easy.... despite Vale entering basketcasery with protests against Smurthwaite, and a very real flirtation with the drop, they've had a bounce under "Arthur" Askey... I thank you...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 17:55:07 »

I agree - And even if we did, then I couldn't see it ending well.

I think every time we have had a 'good' team and done well, we have had several players who were able to up their game every now and then or provide a little sparkle. I'm not sure where that 'sparkle' would come from in our squad (not team, but 'squad')

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 18:03:46 »

I just prefer factual accuracy... and we can't be 4 points adrift after Saturday.   We need to win Saturday, because losing 3 in a row wouldn't look good for Wellens.. the only other time we've lost 2 in a row this season was Brown's last game followed by Wellens' first.

It won't be easy.... despite Vale entering basketcasery with protests against Smurthwaite, and a very real flirtation with the drop, they've had a bounce under "Arthur" Askey... I thank you...

More a little hop than a bounce - they lost the first four of his games in charge, have 7 points in 7 under him.  They had 11 points in 12 games before him, and the 3-0 win against Yeovil was the same result as they had against them in that previous run before he was Manager.  The Mansfield result was the one that gives it a hop quality though and that they backed that up.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 18:17:18 »

I didn't hear his comments post match, but reading some of Wellens' comments today would suggest he has marked a few cards following yesterday's first half performance.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 18:33:20 »

More a little hop than a bounce - they lost the first four of his games in charge, have 7 points in 7 under him.  They had 11 points in 12 games before him, and the 3-0 win against Yeovil was the same result as they had against them in that previous run before he was Manager.  The Mansfield result was the one that gives it a hop quality though and that they backed that up.

The 0-0 at Notts stopped the rot for them and then a couple of wins on the bounce has no doubt lifted the gloom down in Burslem.... they'll still need some points, and will probably fancy playing us, as a sort of mid table going nowhere outfit.

Yeovil host Macclesfield on Saturday.... massive.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 18:51:55 »

Of course the season isn’t over. As it stands we still need another ten points to guarantee survival for next year

Things get better but they never get good
adje

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 19:03:32 »

Oh I forgot - Bancroft is huge, not like the usual weedy specimens we seem to produce from our youth team!

Looked shit in the warm up tho!😁

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 19:06:22 »

These early matchday threads dont seem to be working either  No
adje

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 19:07:58 »

I cling to the fact that there are some equally crap teams between us and the play offs

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: