Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v STFC officially early thread.  (Read 30882 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 23:04:09 »

The Season went in my head on Saturday...avoiding defeat was required.

Start planning for next now. Get the scythe out and start sharpening.

See you all Saturday.

Clems Army!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 00:31:23 »

Thanks for the summary,  I look forward you becoming first team coach.

Given Welles’s took 3 players off in one go not long after half time would suggest my summary wasn’t a million miles off.  We are not a bad team, we played badly.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 03:20:27 »

You lot are baffling at times. A good win on Saturday and we'll be 'right back in it' again. I shrug my shoulders in your general direction.

In other news. Oxford are still in the relegation zone.
Brilliant quote from the bin-dipper Robinson after last night’s 0-0 at Rochdale

‘We’re 6th in the table of goals that should have been scored’

Fucking gem, that!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 07:31:34 »

Season over

Correct.  Projecting anything else over the final 10 games is simply ignoring the reality of the previous 36.  Once the initial dust settled we were in midtable and despite the occasional worrying dip or hope-inducing rise we've been in the middle third ever since.  Beating a team in the play-offs then losing to a team on a dire run who three days later handed a 3rd away win in 19 to Notts County sums it up perfectly.

Things could be better but they could also certainly be worse.  It is ironic that one of the least eventful seasons in Swindon's history will finish up against a club almost certainly playing either one of the most momentous (if they can still avoid the drop) or poignant (if they are down) games in their 157 year history.
chrisser

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 08:05:15 »

Brilliant quote from the bin-dipper Robinson after last night’s 0-0 at Rochdale

‘We’re 6th in the table of goals that should have been scored’

Fucking gem, that!
It's up there with Luke "three draws is the same as a win" Williams

Sent from my moto g(6)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 09:14:24 »

Number one son who lives in London went to the game and saw "two very poor sides" with little football and skill on evidence.

He watches a lot of non-league games around the London area and maintains there are some far better footballers playing at that level than he saw on show tonight which does not surprise me one iota as we seem to be lacking ability all over the place and it will be interesting to see who Mr Wellens dispenses with at this seasons end.
I'm an occasional Woking attender and they used to have a historical little rivalry with Stevenage.  

I thought too that last night was all very non-league, except for the football being less entertaining.  2000 crowd, small stands and a very friendly little bar open also to away fans with draught Guinness at GBP 3.00 a pint, with pensioners Sid and Doris given a half time certificate for 100 years service as program sellers, turnstile operators and so on.  Pity Stevenage didn't employ Sid and Doris as ball boys as they would have had the ball back in play far quicker than the Referee or Stevenage had in mind.

Difference is that some clubs have a proud non-league history with the occasional foray into the FL.  As my mind inevitably wandered from the soul destroying fare on offer to survey the tinpot stands echoing with really irritating drumming, I could not help but wonder wtf are we doing playing in the same league as the likes of Stevenage?.  

I guess that gloomy contemplation was also symptomatic of another disappointing aspect of the evening, namely a quiet away support waiting to be lifted by the team, rather than vice versa.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 09:17:46 by RedRag » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 09:27:32 »

genuine question FH, how many wins do you think it would take?

it's not a leading question.

I have no idea. A lot also depends on how well or otherwise those above us do.

All I can see is that we could effectively be 4 points adrift with 9 games left. It's bonkers to write us off. There may well come a point where the distance is too great for the number of games/points remaining but we have not reached that point yet. Not even close.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 09:37:37 »

Absolutely. Are we likely to reach 7th place? No. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. All the talk of the season being over, only playing players who'll be here next season etc is ludicrous. Throwing in the towel because of a (potentially) 4 point gap?!!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 10:05:04 »

Not read back yet so my take on last night.

After tucking into the finest grub Weatherspoons has to offer (steak night, dinner and an alcoholic beverage of your choice for £6.69, bargain) we arrived at Broadhall way in good spirits. I was pleased to see the lonely digger was still in place behind the empty goal, although it had moved so not completely out in the bomb squad.

First half we were diabolical. Revell bullied us and won everything in the air, constantly flicking to the dangerous Chair on their left wing. Thankfully his shooting was wayward (more on that later). We barely strung anything together, Woolery looked to be our best offering but more often than not his decision making (as is the case with all of our pacy players) was generally awry. Taylor at left back was abysmal and Toums put in possibly the most inept display I have seen - I think he's been a poor signing, more Nalis than McCormack. He was lucky to stay on after 2 ridiculous challenges, one a forearm smash - luckily the Stevenage player either wasn't caught or didn't make a meal of it - and the other a stupid challenge through a player from behind (he may have got booked for this) which was just clumsy and rash and was never going to achieve anything other than give away a free kick in a dangerous position. What irritated me was the lack of any effort in the aerial challenges as Stevenage players seemed to win every first and second ball.

Second half Taylor, Toums and Woolery were hooked and Knoyle, Carroll and Richards took their place. This changed the game and as Robinson got more involved we started to battle harder and thus gaining more possession. Carroll and Knoyle were a massive improvement on Taylor and Toums and whilst Knoyle's delivery was generally ok, we never really looked like scoring. Vigs came up for a last minute corner and when the ball fell to him it looked like the glorious moment was going to arrive! Sadly he slipped over, Stevenage cleared the ball and whilst Vigs was ambling back, Chair lofted the ball into the empty net from 60 yards and it was game over.

The Town fans drifted away into the night, overall a pretty poor performance, second half much improved but I think Wellens must be fairly hacked off with the unbalanced squad of players Brown has left him. There is a crux of a decent side there, hopefully we can maybe blood some of the youngsters as the season peters out and look to build for a good challenge for promotion next season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 10:05:38 »

Oh I forgot - Bancroft is huge, not like the usual weedy specimens we seem to produce from our youth team!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 10:05:57 »

Absolutely. Are we likely to reach 7th place? No. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. All the talk of the season being over, only playing players who'll be here next season etc is ludicrous. Throwing in the towel because of a (potentially) 4 point gap?!!

The season isn't over, just that the aims are now different. 

I posted up before that by looking at the 14 seasons in my time when we've either achieved a PO place or got auto in any Div, then the last 10 games yield a mean or median of 17 points. 

Only our very best auto sides, bar Macari's final season side get to 20 or 21 points....  there just isn't any sign that this outfit will suddenly win 5 or so in a row. In that sense you're not really helping them by thinking they might.  Far better to be realistic.... several posters mentioned the non league feel to last night, and in that sense in our 2 seasons in Div 4 we've managed to keep out of the drop frame, that is important.

Wellens aim now is 3 points on Saturday, just to stop the rot, rather than anything else.
Panda Paws

« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 10:20:39 »

We'll win the next two, start talking about the play-offs again, and then lose the next two and the season will be over... and repeat.

This team, this year, is just not quite good enough. Another year of failure, but at least the potential green shoots of recovery may just be coming through.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 10:28:24 »

We'll win the next two, start talking about the play-offs again, and then lose the next two and the season will be over... and repeat.

This team, this year, is just not quite good enough. Another year of failure, but at least the potential green shoots of recovery may just be coming through.

The green shoots might be a bit like the Brimstone and Tortoiseshell butterflies I saw the week before last.... fooled by early warmth, to be chopped off by a chilly blast of reality.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 13:42:33 »

So will it be time to see Curran and McGilp before season's end?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 13:46:10 »

So will it be time to see Curran and McGilp before season's end?

I was thinking that as I was flicking through the (absolutely crap) programme looking at our squad that it would be interesting to see what McGlip was capable of. I suppose until its mathematically out of reach, Wellens will still pick a strong side and we'll probably only get to see the newer players in the final 2 games.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: