Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Colchester United pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 36315 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 14:39:34 »

As someone else said earlier it's almost like the guy with 500+ professional appearances and all his coaching badges knows what he's doing, and knows more than a bunch of weird lower league football fans.

Don't think the argument stands up, insofar as it's inevitable that most managers fail, and this will be despite having badges and often decent playing careers.  I'm sure all of them thought they knew what they were doing... that's the simple bit.  The tricky bit is the between the ears stuff of man management and the creation of belief, what you might call the magic wand.

A classic example with us Danny Wilson, created a very good team where all his experience as a gaffer seemed to be on display, which then morphed into a terrible outfit relegated where he seemed unable to do much about it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 15:10:56 »

Well, it is a fair comment when the bloke has got us within a sniff of the POs. The fact others, with similar credentials, have failed doesn’t take away from what he’s achieved - so far, anyway!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 15:31:12 »

Well, it is a fair comment when the bloke has got us within a sniff of the POs. The fact others, with similar credentials, have failed doesn’t take away from what he’s achieved - so far, anyway!

I just think it's too early to tell, yes it's good that we're doing a bit better and looking upwards again, but it's only a small step... nothing wrong with that, because it's how it needs to be.  The only way we'll get back to something like our historic status as a mid table Div 3 side with the occasional foray upwards, is by small steps.  The next 2 games will give us a good idea of Wellens' ability... can we keep the decent away form now a bit more pressure comes on?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 15:40:44 »

Don't think the argument stands up, insofar as it's inevitable that most managers fail, and this will be despite having badges and often decent playing careers.  I'm sure all of them thought they knew what they were doing... that's the simple bit.  The tricky bit is the between the ears stuff of man management and the creation of belief, what you might call the magic wand.

A classic example with us Danny Wilson, created a very good team where all his experience as a gaffer seemed to be on display, which then morphed into a terrible outfit relegated where he seemed unable to do much about it.

More to do with the fact we lost 50+ goals than Wilsons management skills.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 16:14:20 »

More to do with the fact we lost 50+ goals than Wilsons management skills.

Managing events, like the whims of players, is the key part of the job that we don't get to see, as such, beyond the impact it has on the pitch.  What it shows is that sometimes a gaffer for all his abilities as a coach, can be undone by circumstances.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 16:48:44 »

Too many variables (or is it imponderables) to come to such conclusive temerity, surely?!  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 19:11:01 »

Ha ha. Just watched the highlights on youtube and just after the third goal I spotted Jacko on the sidelines acting the goat.. (for those of you that know him.)

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 19:53:14 »

Ha ha. Just watched the highlights on youtube and just after the third goal I spotted Jacko on the sidelines acting the goat.. (for those of you that know him.)

This brought great amusement to the London Reds WhatsApp group today Sutton! Great to see the legend (wonder what was in the bag?)

You going to Stevenage? A few of the LR clan are heading across.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 20:23:05 »

If it had been a Saturday yes. I doubt i'd make it home on public transport on a Tuesday, so definite no.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 20:38:25 »

If it had been a Saturday yes. I doubt i'd make it home on public transport on a Tuesday, so definite no.

It’s only 20 minutes to KC. You sure you couldn’t manage it?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, March 4, 2019, 06:24:56 »

Its not that end it's my end Takes me 2 hours to get home from central London on average on a normal day let alone last thing
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Monday, March 4, 2019, 08:48:40 »

Its not that end it's my end Takes me 2 hours to get home from central London on average on a normal day let alone last thing

furry muff.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #252 on: Monday, March 4, 2019, 08:51:19 »

furry muff.

Except for one week a month when she has a fury muff.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, March 4, 2019, 09:49:38 »

See that Wellens wants to get the crowds up, and improve the atmosphere, so that the players can't hear the moaners and groaners... Saturday, had the classic DRS moan at Woolf, for passing backwards, which led to the second goal.

Of the remaining 5 games at the CG 4 are v teams in deep relegation shit, so they may bring a few, the biggest gate in Div 4 Sat, was at Meadow Lane for the basement battle v BPV.

As regards Town fans... it may be difficult for this season.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Monday, March 4, 2019, 10:19:50 »

See that Wellens wants to get the crowds up, and improve the atmosphere, so that the players can't hear the moaners and groaners... Saturday, had the classic DRS moan at Woolf, for passing backwards, which led to the second goal.

Of the remaining 5 games at the CG 4 are v teams in deep relegation shit, so they may bring a few, the biggest gate in Div 4 Sat, was at Meadow Lane for the basement battle v BPV.

As regards Town fans... it may be difficult for this season.

That's the result of years of Cooper and Williams. Back, back, across pitch, back, lose it and concede
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: