Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 29049 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:04:04 »

Grimsby don't do draws. We'll either win 2-1 or they'll batter us 3-0. Game on.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:07:42 »

Grimsby on a 4 game winning streak, and they've won the last 3 v Town, beating 3 different gaffers... Flitcroft, Brown, Wellens.

You'd think that run has to end soon, so a draw a possiblity.   Weather looks a bit different to what we usually get at Blundell Park.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:13:23 »

Grimsby don't do draws. We'll either win 2-1 or they'll batter us 3-0. Game on.
Opening the thread with a fish pun, bold move.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:30:06 »

2 teams fairly well matched in the table, again it depends on which Town team turn up, we are either excellent or terrible with no in between. When on form no team can play us, when off form we can be beaten by the worst.

Grims are current above us on goal difference in 12th place by virtue of having -2 GD to our -3 GD.

Their leading scorer is ex Town loanee Wes Thomas on 11 goals, they then have 3 players on 4 goals next highest scorers.

They have scored 37 (Swindon 38) conceded 39 (Swindon 41) so far but have played 1 more game than Town.

Away from Findus Park they have won 5 drew 2 lost 9 scoring 14 and conceding 22 goals.

Grimsby current form LLLLLWWWW
Swindon current form DDLWDWLWW

Grims are on a decent run of 4 league wins in a row after a run of 5 defeats in a row, their best run since March 1990.

They have some disciplinary problems with 7 red cards so far this season the 2nd worst in the league after Stevenage on 9, (Swindon 4).

The Fishy people have only won at the County Ground twice in 22 meetings but both of those have come in the last 4 matches with Town winning 15 times. They never travel in many numbers to Swindon normally with usually well under 250.

They won at the CG last time 1-0 and were one of the worst side I have seen it was a total smash and grab scoring with a highly disputed penalty against a poor underperforming Swindon team who had 2 goals disallowed and hit the bar twice.

Predictions from the Brothers Grim forum.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1550696518/s-0/

Apparently according to them we will only get about 4,400 there (the average of the 30 or so guesses so far ignoring the fact that we have not had a league crowd under 5,000 for 12 years and out home average 6,443 so far) and the concensus is that they will beat us or at least draw with only 4 prediction a Town win (so far). With one of them predicting Jordan Stewart(the little fat Irish kid as they call him)  will score despite him having left Swindon nearly 2 years now!
« Last Edit: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:36:38 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:50:46 »

They won at the CG last time 1-0 and were one of the worst side I have seen it was a total smash and grab scoring with a highly disputed penalty against a poor underperforming Swindon team who had 2 goals disallowed and hit the bar twice.

In the 24 games between beating us at Blundell and the CG.... Mariners woin 3 other games... v Barnet, Chesterfield and FGR. The 2 who went, and FGR who very nearly went. Those few wins after a steady start enough to keep them up.

You'd like to think their luck may be about to run out... a draw perhaps possible and if we could win the next 3 after that we could still get in the mix.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:52:43 »

You'd think that run has to end soon, so a draw a possiblity.

Fingers crossed we can manage to get a draw, would be a great result considering we are odds on favourites
« Last Edit: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:57:35 by Abrahammer » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 11:54:08 »

In the 24 games between beating us at Blundell and the CG.... Mariners woin 3 other games... v Barnet, Chesterfield and FGR. The 2 who went, and FGR who very nearly went. Those few wins after a steady start enough to keep them up.

You'd like to think their luck may be about to run out... a draw perhaps possible and if we could win the next 3 after that we could still get in the mix.
Yes last season the Grims were a terrible side, definately bottom 3 performance wise but they had a lot of luck against us but I doubt we actually deserved much from that and many other games last year.

If we could win our game in hand (on 10 teams above us) we could be just 3 points off the play offs, still all very open, a run of wins will stand us in good stead for the final 2 months of the season.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 12:11:39 »

Don't care how we do it,  As long as we do it,  Just got to beat these fishmongers,    Come on Town,  let's keep the momentum going.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 16:24:14 »

Feeling oddly confident.

6-2 win.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 18:03:17 »

Feeling oddly confident.

6-2 win.
Oh come on Bobs, be real!

There is no way we will concede 2 at home Wink

Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 18:07:40 »

I fully expect 3 points.

That could potentially leave us 3 points adrift with a game in hand.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 19:19:15 »

Feeling oddly confident.

6-2 win.

I've seen this scoreline in our favour twice at the CG.... last time April 1980 v Rotherham... Andy Rowland got 4, my memory is more or less all tap ins. Previous to that v Mansfield 65.. Keith East got 5.

In 68/69 we managed it on the road at Cobblers, though of course that was also at the CG  Smiley
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 20:33:58 »

2-1 Town.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 22:30:48 »

I've seen this scoreline in our favour twice at the CG.... last time April 1980 v Rotherham... Andy Rowland got 4, my memory is more or less all tap ins. Previous to that v Mansfield 65.. Keith East got 5.

In 68/69 we managed it on the road at Cobblers, though of course that was also at the CG  Smiley

I was at the last two games mentioned. AFAIR all 5 "forwards" scored against Northampton. After our third or fourth went in a I heard a home fan say "I can see them getting six".  The next time I heard that said was by a nearby Town fan during our 6-2 home loss to Blackpool, when despite the score Swindon fans were cheering and not booing the Town players. I think Alan Mayes scored one to two for Blackpool that night.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 01:27:43 »

I was at the last two games mentioned. AFAIR all 5 "forwards" scored against Northampton. After our third or fourth went in a I heard a home fan say "I can see them getting six".  The next time I heard that said was by a nearby Town fan during our 6-2 home loss to Blackpool, when despite the score Swindon fans were cheering and not booing the Town players. I think Alan Mayes scored one to two for Blackpool that night.

I didn't want to mention 6-2 reverses, as there have been a few.... usually on our travels.

Although the Town support stayed largely on board in the Blackpool game, some kiddy did jump out the TE and take the corner as sort of protest about the lack of quality on set pieces.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: