Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 29036 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:03:33 »

The bit I was referencing, he applauded Robinson's workrate and desire and said Woollery and Anderson would do well to look at his example. 

I'd imagine Theo is looking for a contract in the summer.... as far as we know Kaiyne and Keshi are still with us next year, so they might follow Theo's example.

It will be if Wellens can get that bit more out of those 2, which will decide if we can have a proper go at auto next season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:05:12 »

I'd imagine Theo is looking for a contract in the summer.... as far as we know Kaiyne and Keshi are still with us next year, so they might follow Theo's example.

It will be if Wellens can get that bit more out of those 2, which will decide if we can have a proper go at auto next season.
Either that or fuck them off and replace them
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:07:17 »

That’s the beauty of opinions.

For me, it was awful. But I am basing that off of the FGR performance, which I thought was intelligent and assured.injust don’t think it was good enough tactically today.  Too many passes going astray, too many passengers, not enough in the final third.
I kind of agree with much of that, but there was plenty of good play, certainly in the 1st third of the game. Like I say, we've seen much much worse than that recently, the 1st 30 was decent and there were flashes after that. Overall it was disappointing but compared to the actual shite we've watched in recent years, I don't think that was.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:09:01 »

Either that or fuck them off and replace them

I think we've seen enough to know that there could be a bit more to come from these 2.... if you have the sort of easy access to the resources to get better, than yes replace them, but I'm not sure we do.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:13:25 »

I think we've seen enough to know that there could be a bit more to come from these 2.
Oh definitely, and I suspect Wellens is trying to find a way to do that as you suggest, public shaming being the latest tactic. But they've both been here long enough now that while I agree there could well be a bit more to come I wonder whether either of them can be arsed to dig deep enough to find it. Hope Wellens finds the key to unlock one or both of them
if you have the sort of easy access to the resources to get better, than yes replace them, but I'm not sure we do.
Agree and in any case any half-decent manager will always want to try and get the best out of what he's got before he goes looking to buy in another set of problems. But how many successive managers have we had now who have tried and failed to get the best out of these two? Suggests possibly what we have seen is all they are willing to give
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:18:27 »

Grimsby don't do draws.

Bollocks  Embarrassed
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:26:43 »

Oh definitely, and I suspect Wellens is trying to find a way to do that as you suggest, public shaming being the latest tactic. But they've both been here long enough now that while I agree there could well be a bit more to come I wonder whether either of them can be arsed to dig deep enough to find it. Hope Wellens finds the key to unlock one or both of themAgree and in any case any half-decent manager will always want to try and get the best out of what he's got before he goes looking to buy in another set of problems. But how many successive managers have we had now who have tried and failed to get the best out of these two? Suggests possibly what we have seen is all they are willing to give

Well they were both signed by Flitcroft, so he had a go as did Brown... I would say under Wellens they've started to look a bit more effective... of course it is all relative, an improvement, but probably not yet sufficient to get us much up the table.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 19:29:05 »

Very frustrating game, but we weren’t shite.

Koiki had his worst game for us, he’s a young lad and it’s going to happen. Unfortunately Taylor wasn’t fit so no change could be made. Everyone worked hard, can’t criticise them for that, things just didn’t go to plan. Doughty was a huge miss, even Vigs with his passing. We had chances, Woolery should have had 2, Theo missed a header. We’ve played worse and won, so I’m not too disappointed.

We are only 1 point worse off with regards to the play offs than we were before the game. So it’s still all to play for.
Don’t agree with the Wellens criticism with regards to tactics, I think injuries made it difficult for him to change the game todau today.
We just need to keep at it, win next week and it’ll all be forgotten.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 19:46:51 »

I thought going forward we played really well but it seems like we need an extra touch when a cross or shot could be the better option. However there wasn't many shooting boots on display today, the shots were rather poor especially going out for a throw in.
Whoever mentioned earlier in the thread that if we haven't scored in the decisive period when we're on top we lose momentum is spot on.
I thought Bennett played quite well, a few more games under his belt and he'll be an asset.
Bang on half time we should have scored but rather than shoot he opted to try and round the keeper.
All in all not a bad performance, they are on a run of 4 straight wins so can't grumble too much.
Flashheart

« Reply #189 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 20:03:52 »

I thought Bennett played quite well,

It's funny how people see games differently. I thought he was a complete passenger.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 20:04:26 »

the Swindon way to promotion win your away games and try and pick up a point at home
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #191 on: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 10:20:43 »

Must be on my own here. Thought we played well, were the better team and should have won.

Theo was deserved MOM. Looks very sharp and dangerous. The chances we had were good and we should have scored more than once for sure.

yes errors were made with passes and freekick optinos but overall dont let the dissapointment of 2 points dropped cloud an alright display.

Grimsby were alright- solid nothing special. Had 2 shots on target and scored one as a free header.

Iv seen so much worse this season at home that it was good to see the new boys improve the team. no dramas from me here.

on a side note- are they any seats in the nationwide without vocal knob heads in the vicinity? its a drone on the whole game. i question those that only turn up to abuse our own players and shout power out every 30 mins in one burst. Do they enjoy the negativity?
As I said all game, we were the better side against a very average Grims side (not bad by any means but not good) that offered little in attack, our problem is we labour too long in build up and don't take shots when in good positions, otherwise I thought we played ok.

10 seconds of falling asleep after the goal cost us a win.

I was there, it was shite.
I watched it and it really wasn't.

We are improving and that was by no means shite, we passed well and controlled the game and never looked in much danger of conceding, unfortunately thats exactly what we did when the whole team fell asleep after scoring.

For me Bennett was a waste of a place and we missed Doughty who creates so many of our chances, Bennett barely made a single tackle or pass all game, 5/10 for his full debut and should have gone off far sooner but we had little to replace him with off the bench.

Keith Scott was criticising Robinson all game and praising Bennett! I thought Robinson played really well when he was given a ball he could even attempt to win, far too many times it was hoofed up to him to fight with a centre back who had 4 inches in height over him. He took his goal like a proper poacher and was easily our best attacking option all game, Woolery should have got a couple but he could just not hit the target yesterday, if either of his good chances had fallen to Robinson I feel he would have scored both.

Koiki had easily his worst game but still got a couple of excellent crosses into the box, he just seemed to lose concentration after he was kicked early on.

Still played solidly but please shoot when you have the chance in or around the box and don't try and walk the ball into the net ala Williams side.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 10:25:11 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 13:12:37 »

First half we were dominant in large parts and in the 2nd we were the better side for the majority of time. Woolery was unlucky on a couple of occasions and, but for a total lack of concentration after our goal, we should have comfortably won.
Don't understand those that thought it was shit, for league 2 I thought it was a pretty good game.

I'd already resigned myself to basement football again next season, Wellens seems to in the process of building something and I'm cautiously optimistic that 2020 will see us return to league one.

It's All Good..............
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 14:02:04 »

5th placed Colchester next up. Beat them and win our game in hand puts us 1 point behind them.

Them plus FGR are eminently catchable - whether by us or any of the chasing pack.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 16:58:24 »

5th placed Colchester next up. Beat them and win our game in hand puts us 1 point behind them.

Them plus FGR are eminently catchable - whether by us or any of the chasing pack.

We have real problems with ColU at the CG.... 2 wins in the last 10. It is a must win game, but it will require something better than the usual to get.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: