Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Grimsby pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 29037 times)
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:44:47 »

Disappointing and 2 points dropped without a doubt.

Complete lack of urgency even when Grimsby equalised.  Up until then, we were totally on top, but Grimbsy probably then had the best chances to win it.

Subs should have been made earlier.  I'm struggling to see what Carroll adds.  Everytime he goes forward he loses the ball or passes backwards.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:46:32 »

No it wasn't. It was frustrating, disappointing and even infuriating, but it was not proper shite.

I was there, it was shite.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:46:57 »

It wasn't all bad today. We controlled it and made the better chances. Perhaps not as many as we could, but enough to win. Grimsby on the other hand offered little.

And that's what makes it frustrating. And shows we are probaby a little off a playoff charge.

Subs made far too late to make an impression.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:47:51 »

Fingers crossed we can manage to get a draw, would be a great result considering we are odds on favourites

You can uncross them now... incidentally hope you don't place much emphasis on bookies' odds.... there aren't so many of them making pots of $, because punters get it right too often.

Definitely a point gained today.... takes us up into the top half and still just about keeps hope alive that if we can win the next 3 we'll be back in the mix
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:49:18 »

No it wasn't. It was frustrating, disappointing and even infuriating, but it was not proper shite.
Must be on my own here. Thought we played well, were the better team and should have won.
Iv seen so much worse this season at home that it was good to see the new boys improve the team. no dramas from me here.
Yes we were better for the first 30 mins, then fizzled out. That's why it's so frustrating. Agree that the team looks to be improving though.
We seem to have developed a pattern of late of showing how well we can play for the first 30 mins or so and then if we do manage to get something in that period we take heart and go on to play well. If we don't we kind of fizzle out a bit and seem to lose confidence in our ability to play, we get it back in 5-min spells but never look like doing much to take hold of the game. That's at least the fourth game this season we've failed to beat a team with less players than us at home.  I think we have a few too many who are mentally soft, and I don't think Wellens will be minded to carry them judging from his comments post match
Flashheart

« Reply #170 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:50:03 »

Must be on my own here. Thought we played well, were the better team and should have won.

You're not on your own at all. We did need more urgency but we did not play badly. Grimsby were fortunate to come away with 1 point. Wollery should have scored in the 1st half, we gifted them a goal, we hit the post and there were other chances that just needed somebody in the right place at the right time.

If we didn't fall asleep and concede people would be saying it was a decent performance and a good win. We did (concede) though.

I think in some cases it may be more frustration than anything when people say we were shit.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:50:18 »

So was I, no it wasn't. We've seen enough genuine shite over the last few seasons to know the difference. But it was bloody annoying
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:51:04 »

Yes we were better for the first 30 mins, then fizzled out. That's why it's so frustrating. Agree that the team looks to be improving though.
We seem to have developed a pattern of late of showing how well we can play for the first 30 mins or so and then if we do manage to get something in that period we take heart and go on to play well. If we don't we kind of fizzle out a bit and seem to lose confidence in our ability to play, we get it back in 5-min spells but never look like doing much to take hold of the game. That's at least the fourth game this season we've failed to beat a team with less players than us at home.  I think we have a few too many who are mentally soft, and I don't think Wellens will be minded to carry them judging from his comments post match

What did Wellens say Paul?  I missed his interview.
Flashheart

« Reply #173 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:51:08 »

How does being there make any difference? I got to see the whole game myself.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:54:49 »

What did Wellens say Paul?  I missed his interview.
The bit I was referencing, he applauded Robinson's workrate and desire and said Woollery and Anderson would do well to look at his example.  Said they had too many spells of 10 minutes here and there where they were content to just sit back and watch the game happen, they need to do more to want to get involved, that's why they've not scored enough goals. Very well put, succinct and to the point, calm and clinical not ranting about it, but still a bit of a public dressing down. Not necessarily sure about the public nature of it, he's basically gone on the radio and called them lazy shits who are going through the motions, but can't argue with the analysis
normy

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:55:30 »

We passed it around very well first half, and sharply, and if Woollery had shot when he was clean through instead of trying to round the goalkeeper perhaps we would have scored and gained confidence.

We can't afford to miss golden chances if we are to get in the playoffs.

ust be the oldest
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:59:20 »

I think the hesitation to bring subs on is down to the lack of game changers. I dont think richards touched the ball, with ben house injured and youth strikers on loan thats it for making a change up top.

All the rest are midfielders who are like for like changes. Not like the days of rory fallon warming up to get the fans excited. the subs havent made any difference to any of the home games iv seen.
Flashheart

« Reply #177 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 17:59:58 »

I'm not exaggerating when I say had to check the team sheet on about 35 minutes to see if Bennett was playing. I thought I might have misread it or something.

A bit harsh to judge him just yet, though. It was only his first full game for us.
Flashheart

« Reply #178 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:00:58 »

Oh, and I thought we played the channels very well at times today. It got us into some great positions.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 18:02:45 »

So was I, no it wasn't. We've seen enough genuine shite over the last few seasons to know the difference. But it was bloody annoying

That’s the beauty of opinions.

For me, it was awful. But I am basing that off of the FGR performance, which I thought was intelligent and assured.injust don’t think it was good enough tactically today.  Too many passes going astray, too many passengers, not enough in the final third.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: