Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HONDA  (Read 18687 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 18, 2019, 19:42:49 »

I’m waiting for you and your accolites to arm yourselves with buckets and march ‘Jarrow’ style the length and breadth of this sceptred isle shaking said buckets in town centres to raise money for those being made redundant. You have three years to sort this out. After all it was mighty fine for those miners back in the ‘80’s to come to Swindon and do the same.

Do you have any positive arguments to make, or just provide more whataboutisms?

Things get better but they never get good
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 18, 2019, 22:07:08 »

Do you have any positive arguments to make, or just provide more whataboutisms?

I doubt he will do.  When it comes to Brexit, he (and many, many like him) becomes the captain of the Titantic, refusing to acknowledge the existence of the big, fuck-off iceberg heading our way.
red_army

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, February 18, 2019, 22:18:57 »

Tomlinson's first reaction seems to have been to defend Brexit, which seems a bit tone deaf. There's definitely a 'it's a bit more complex than that' argument, but maybe not before 'this is terrible and here's what I'm going to do to help'

Considering the workforce of Honda has been told nothing (to date) maybe Mr Tomlinson should of held off from defending Brexit... More worried about defending Brexit than thinking maybe be should wait with his statement until the workforce had been told... Disgusted with him... No news had been leaked about Turkey until his statement...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 18, 2019, 23:24:38 »

I doubt he will do.  When it comes to Brexit, he (and many, many like him) becomes the captain of the Titantic, refusing to acknowledge the existence of the big, fuck-off iceberg heading our way.

A bit like the blinkered few who blame absolutely everything on Brexit. Perhaps our poor home form has found a scapegoat?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 07:32:02 »

Tomlinson had to say something, it was all over mainstream news.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 08:18:38 »

I’m waiting for you and your accolites to arm yourselves with buckets and march ‘Jarrow’ style the length and breadth of this sceptred isle shaking said buckets in town centres to raise money for those being made redundant. You have three years to sort this out. After all it was mighty fine for those miners back in the ‘80’s to come to Swindon and do the same.
I hope no Honda workers or their families hear you sneering and sniggering at their plight like this. What a piece of work.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 08:19:18 »

Tomlinson had to say something, it was all over mainstream news.
Yes and his first thought was not for the workers and their families, but to cover his own back.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 08:30:00 »

I hope no Honda workers or their families hear you sneering and sniggering at their plight like this. What a piece of work.

You miss my point. But hey ho. Just for the record I do know Honda employees. Some of whom can’t wait to go. Forgetful me, I got made redundant two years ago in my late 50’s so I DO have empathy and sympathy but not with the political point scoring. Honda made this decision way back, five year plans and all that.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 09:45:25 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 09:23:14 »

Yes and his first thought was not for the workers and their families, but to cover his own back.

Indeed. Snivelling in parliament can come later if he's really in the shit.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 10:25:08 »

I know next to nothing about the car industry, so probably a naïve question coming.  How feasible would it be for a manufacturer of electric vehicles to come in, modify the South Marston plant accordingly and re-start production there soon after 2021?

Surely the infrastructure there has decades of future use.  To have the site levelled and start all over would seem a terrible waste.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 10:27:47 »

A really bad day for the town and it's industrial heritage.  Much, much worse still for the individuals and their families directly affected.  Politics aside, let's hope some positives will emerge, individually and civically.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 10:36:48 »

I know next to nothing about the car industry, so probably a naïve question coming.  How feasible would it be for a manufacturer of electric vehicles to come in, modify the South Marston plant accordingly and re-start production there soon after 2021?
Hmm, not sure it's just Honda though. Nissan's decision not to base in Sunderland, substantial cutbacks at Land Rover, all suggest that this part of a wider pattern and that the UK car industry is in a lot of trouble.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 10:37:53 »

Surely the infrastructure there has decades of future use.  To have the site levelled and start all over would seem a terrible waste.

I'm sure the possiblity of something like this will be looked into... however increasingly the more likely response will be to knock it down for housing and perhaps some warehousing/distribution sheds.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 10:42:46 »

You must have been plugged into the same thought process as me, possibly others too.

My last thoughts on the subject as as expected the news had decended into a finger pointing, slanging match, political point scoring debacle amongst other things, so.

As a town and indeed a country we have over decades stepped up to the plate employment wise when faced with changing economic challenges. I personally see this bad news as an opportunity, yes, an opportunity.

Right on our doorstep is a massive, massive site. The M4 one way and the M5 the other both connected by a dual carriageway. There is a planned science park yet to built a mile away not forgetting S. Marston business park and huge distribution centres right next door. I never thought for one minute the £350m a day or whatever saving is to be made from Brexit would be spent on the NHS, indeed the plight of the Honda employees and the redevelopment of the site for engineering and other business uses is exactly where a large chunk of that and other employment investment money by the government or any other government should go. Why not a southern powerhouse? Why not dual the A420 as part of the a ‘project’ as this links onto the M40 and a little further down M25, A/M1. Not forgetting the M6 the other way. It is do able. We cannot compete with mass produced cheap shit from the Far East. What we do do well it high value and high tech manufacturing. Opportunities, opportunities, opportunities.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 10:54:02 »

A really bad day for the town and it's industrial heritage.  Much, much worse still for the individuals and their families directly affected.  Politics aside, let's hope some positives will emerge, individually and civically.

Not Honda Civically sadly.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: