Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport v Swindon officially postponed what you doing instead thread  (Read 21357 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 09:22:50 »

3 points separating 15th and 9th. Win our game in hand (against Newport) and we're 3 points off Carlisle ready for when we go up there....
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 09:25:07 »

3 points separating 15th and 9th. Win our game in hand (against Newport) and we're 3 points off Carlisle ready for when we go up there....

Have we announced when that game in hand is going to take place?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 09:33:16 »

Carlisle are at Col U on Sat, 6th v 7th. A draw would be handy, but none of it means much if we don't win our next few games.  It certainly feels like much more than just over a week since we last played.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 09:39:38 »

Have we announced when that game in hand is going to take place?

No. There's never been a reason why it shouldn't have been listed for next Tuesday, but Wellens has openly said he wants to leave it for as long as possible, and Newport appear to be in agreement.

The whole FL requirement for it to be played ASAP is clearly a load of bollocks which nobody ever looks to enforce.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:00:04 »

No. There's never been a reason why it shouldn't have been listed for next Tuesday, but Wellens has openly said he wants to leave it for as long as possible, and Newport appear to be in agreement.

The whole FL requirement for it to be played ASAP is clearly a load of bollocks which nobody ever looks to enforce.

He'll have his reasons, I know, and he's the expert etc.  But I am slightly surprised at this, just as we seem to be building some momentum.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:03:28 »

Hmmm
He'll have his reasons, I know, and he's the expert etc.  But I am slightly surprised at this, just as we seem to be building some momentum.

I'd imagine given the state of Newport's pitch the thinking might be leave it as late as possible
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:17:24 »

Hmmm
 I'd imagine given the state of Newport's pitch the thinking might be leave it as late as possible

Yes, it might have been the phone in where he mentioned sun shining and grass growing.

More importantly, next Tuesday would have presented a logistical problem with getting into the pub as early as possible.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:17:53 »

Hmmm

That’s a fair analysis and if correct it shows some ‘outside the box’ thinking. They’d still need to run it by the EFL & or the FA though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:30:18 »

That’s a fair analysis and if correct it shows some ‘outside the box’ thinking. They’d still need to run it by the EFL & or the FA though.

Problem is when you've a shit pitch I'm not sure there's ever a good time to play on it.  Remember a game at Donny a few years back season PdC had just gone.... not a blade of grass to be seen, so the ball just bobbles about.

You used to get it March/April at the CG.... bare pitch hard and bobbly, chuck in a some wind and it was like playing with a superball.

Speaking of superballs, what great fun was to be had in the schoolyard with one of those. Invented in the US 1965, so I guess around when they came to  UK.  Lot of physics involved as well... which is what I used to tell the teachers who worried about things getting broken.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:43:52 »

And not only that Newport have been playing two games a week for the last three or four weeks,  they looked fucked after the Man City game,  IMO now would have been a great time to play them.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:50:55 »

Maybe they will be some sort of end of season symmetry. We got relegated there - be nice to get promoted there, too.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 10:51:34 »

And not only that Newport have been playing two games a week for the last three or four weeks,  they looked fucked after the Man City game,  IMO now would have been a great time to play them.

But they won 4-1 at Notts, who were on the back of a couple of good wins, so can't have been too knackered. I reckon they got a lift after a good show v Man City, despite losing.  THe knowledge that County made some $, so there could be some decent contracts about for next season may have stirred them.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 13:35:21 »

The run of games coming up through March make or break the season for us - win most of them and we get the benefit of gaining on sides as we are playing them.  Lose and they open up a gap.   The signs have been positive, but even if we miss out (which still seems most likely) we look like we have someone in charge who could set us up better for next season.  Yes there will be some further rotation of the squad, but that is the way of life down here these days.  When was the last time anyone got a 5 year contract (coaching staff aside :-) )
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 14:07:39 »

The run of games coming up through March make or break the season for us - win most of them and we get the benefit of gaining on sides as we are playing them.  Lose and they open up a gap.   The signs have been positive, but even if we miss out (which still seems most likely) we look like we have someone in charge who could set us up better for next season.  Yes there will be some further rotation of the squad, but that is the way of life down here these days.  When was the last time anyone got a 5 year contract (coaching staff aside :-) )
Agree with this. Think where we were when Wellens arrived, with a serious lack of wing backs and wide players and little attacking threat. Obviously the squad isn't perfect but the January transfer dealings and performances/results since suggest Wellens knows which direction we need to be heading in. Whether that pays off this term remains to be seen but I'm much more hopeful than I was in October/November.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 14:11:50 »

I thought we were in danger of going down when weekend arrived.

I knew see a very slim chance of making the playoffs.

can't really ask more than that
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: