Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Bikes  (Read 5562 times)
scillyred

« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 20:53:53 »

It's a bit odd here, given the 7 miles of road - fuel is around £1.60 a litre and cars never get warmed up, so fuel consumption is very high, mega salt laden atmostphere and other drivers keen to rearrange your vehicles bodywork !!
I could use a taxi or walk but my experience of electric bikes was that they were fun and it would give me a bit of exercise.
My budget is based on the price I got for my car & the fact that even with the low monthly mileage the car was costing circa £75/100 a month to run.
I would have a golf buggy but I have nowhere to charge it and amazingly they are mega expensive to buy for road use !

Thanks STFCBIKER I will have a look at that.

STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 21:05:08 »

No problem

If you don't mind something a bit more like a mtb then look at a Giant Fathom E+ 3, both that and the previous one I linked have Yamaha motors, albeit different versions.

The Specialized Turbo Vado is supposed to be a good hybrid bike but maybe slightly above your budget.

I have a Focus Jam2 full suspension so I'd recommend the hard tail version of that as well, although again possibly above your budget.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine, as with most things there's far too much choice!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:37:00 »

As an aside to the electric element, that's a shit fork on there for that kind of money.
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 17:26:02 »

As an aside to the electric element, that's a shit fork on there for that kind of money.

It's a cross/hybrid bike so I guess the suspension isn't of primary concern.

I've got Fox front and rear on mine but then it cost £3,200...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 17:47:04 »

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/eu/zero-ds

0-60 in 3.9 seconds.
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 17:56:03 »

I've seen some reviews of that, supposed to be very good. Can't beat a Triumph triple though...

Probably not what the OP had in mind though  Wink
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:06:45 »

Can't beat a Triumph triple though...

Love

(I have a Street Triple)
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:29:24 »

Love

(I have a Street Triple)

Not jealous at all...
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:54:30 »

Of course, if scillyred wants something a bit different there's always a Mugen.

They're quite handy on small island circuits Smiley

scillyred

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:57:03 »

Hi Mr Jealous  Smiley

Any views on

Scott sub Active eRide 2019 Electric Crossbar Hybrid or
 Kalkhoff Endeavour I.B Move 500w 2019 Hybrid

I feel a sudden attack of nerdiness  Sad
Why do they have such stupid names - almost as bad as Forest Green Rovers !
scillyred

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 19:00:54 »

Of course, if scillyred wants something a bit different there's always a Mugen.

They're quite handy on small island circuits Smiley

Just a bit of background - there are some quite beefy bikes on the island !!

Scilly has the highest proportion of motorbikes in the country.

Data released by the DVLA show that 9.5% of the vehicles on our islands’ roads in 2013 were motorbikes.

The second highest was the inner London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, with 8.7% ownership of bikes.

That statistic has surprised keen biker and regular Buntzig Motorbike Club member Alan Hartwell.

Alan says they regularly get 20 to 25 bikes “coming out of the woodwork” for the annual club barbeques, organised by James Sherris. But he adds that Scilly isn’t an ideal biking venue.

He thinks many of them are used for commuting to work.

“It’s really all you need here and a small motorbike will often do the job better than a car,” says Alan.

He says if you’re a bike enthusiast, there’s not a lot of road on St Mary’s to enjoy riding but what we have is fun anyway.

Late last year, Alan undertook a 34-hour, non-stop bike ride to Belgium on a 32-year-old Honda moped. He raised over £500 for the Treliske Hospital Children’s Ward.
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 19:35:47 »

Hello  Smiley it might be more envy than jealousy  Wink

I don't know much about the Kalkhoff brand to be honest, although being German I'd imagine they're pretty good, Scott are decent as far as I know. They both use a Bosch motor although the one in the Kalkhoff has a but more torque and a higher capacity battery. The Scott sub active has 40Nm, sub cross 50Nm and the Kalkhoff has 63Nm. (I think)

I guess it depends on how fit you are and how hilly it is, the ones mentioned all give between 250 and 275% assistance in highest mode.

If you want a lot of power/torque then look at something like the Giant Explore E+ 2 2019 which has 80Nm and 350% assistance.
STFCBIKER

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 19:38:36 »

Yes the names are a bit silly, each brand has so many different versions which doesn't help.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: