Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57420 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:45:56 »

if you read the other teams forums Southend fans consider him as a poacher, Derby fans also say he is a poacher, I trust them as they have seen him more than any of us have. Even if he doesn't have the goal stats his style is said to be that of poacher, if you watch the YouTube videos of his goals almost all have come inside 12 yards.

Derby fans last saw Theo have a little goal scoring run of 9 in half a season more than 6 years ago since then he's played near on 200 league games for  25 goals.   I can't imagine too many gaffers would pick him as a poacher on those figures, he must bring other qualities.

He often played this season with Simon Cox a player who has poaching qualities as well as many others.  Coxy has had a couple of those "batch" runs sought after by Wellens this season, and I'm sure Theo helped out in his early season trot of 5 in 6, but it would be a very unusual gaffer in the modern game to play 2 poachers.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 11:00:10 »

On Saturday Theo impressed me with his pace and strength and looks a more natural fit for a lone striker than Richards, hes not a target man but played the role asked of him far better than Richards has done in any of his games for Town.

He plays the channels well too and looks more of a complete forward than anyone else at the club.

A few goals will help his confidence greatly, he had one header knocked off his head from a corner and then one free header that flew off his head at a weird angle but otherwise he played a solid debut  and I convinced he will get a few goals for us this season. If Wellens decides against starting House tonight.

In the previous 2 games against FGR one thing they lacked was pace in defence, something Theo has over House and Richards.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 12:03:27 »

This will be my 3rd home game I’ll watch via iFollow.

The previous 2 were the terrible Cambridge and Bury defeats. Sorry, guys.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 12:13:22 »

Before the postponement, Wellens mentioned that they had been working on a new formation for the FGR game.

I wonder if that will still be the case or will he stick with the same team as Saturday?
The front three are very mobile with the addition of Robinson, who along with Rose looks to be a good upgrade.

Should be an interesting game.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 12:16:42 »

Worked last time so 3-1 Town please football gods !
Peter Venkman

« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 12:22:05 »

Before the postponement, Wellens mentioned that they had been working on a new formation for the FGR game.

I wonder if that will still be the case or will he stick with the same team as Saturday?
The front three are very mobile with the addition of Robinson, who along with Rose looks to be a good upgrade.

Should be an interesting game.

On Saturday Wellens spoke about the change of formation he was going to play vs FGR, he said they tried it in the behind closed doors game vs Bristol Cty and it didn't work so he changed it at half time when we were a couple of goals down and came back to draw that game. He said the experiment did not seem to work well enough to be tried in a game.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 12:41:15 »

This will be my 3rd home game I’ll watch via iFollow.

The previous 2 were the terrible Cambridge and Bury defeats. Sorry, guys.

I have watched 2 also. Crewe away and Cambridge at home. Both were meek defeats. Sorry also.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 12:45:49 »

The header Robinson missed was very weird, I reckon he initially thought about heading it back across goal (someone as at the far post) and then instinct took over, or the other way around.  It ended up being a good solid clearance.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 13:05:18 »

The header Robinson missed was very weird, I reckon he initially thought about heading it back across goal (someone as at the far post) and then instinct took over, or the other way around.  It ended up being a good solid clearance.
He looked totally undecided, I think he was also waiting for the offside flag to go up, ended up coming off him at the most unusual angle like he had a square head!

Peter Venkman

« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 16:49:08 »

FGR like a slow approach to the game, sussing out the opposition, not sure that will favour us with how Wellens has us playing the pressing game with pace as we often struggle to break down teams set up defensively.

FGR attack a lot with both wingbacks so if we keep them quiet and crowd out midfield I think we will easily contain them. I personally don't rate Doidge much, every time I have seen him hes been pretty poor but you can't argue with his goal stats.

If we play against them as we did vs MK on Saturday we will beat them, if we labour our build ups and don't play to the strengths of Anderson, Robinson and Woolery then we will struggle.

Woolery should have a point to prove against his old employers and Cooper still has a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to Swindon, some fans will agree he was badly treated, I personally think he was always moaning, played some awful tactics and blamed the fans for the players being shit.

If we turn up at last for a home fixture then if we pressure them they will concede, if we sit back as we did vs Crawley and don't play Wellens style then we will lose. I do have a feeling that with us pressing and them much more cagey the game could peter out into a bore draw with few chances.

Here is a nice little write up by FGR's Swindon born Josepj Mills.

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/17426148.you-want-to-play-in-these-kind-of-games-says-mills/

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 17:15:43 »

We need to let them come onto us, and create space behind. Our main weapon is our pace, with Doughty and Rose pulling the strings for the front 3, so we shouldn’t be scared to let them have the ball. To that extent, Cooper’s style may favour us. I was never a massive fan of his - always got the impression that the world was against him, but you have to hand it to him - he’s done a fantastic job at FGR, good budget or not.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:31:29 »

Big STFC flag on display in St.Lucia for the cricket.

Strangely, I didn’t notice a FGR one.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:37:18 »

Strangely, I didn’t notice a FGR one.

It was probably made from vegan hessian and disintegrated in the heat

I come from a land down-under
Peter Venkman

« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:41:37 »

It was probably made from vegan hessian and disintegrated in the heat
Cheesy

Peter Venkman

« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 18:46:56 »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: