Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57382 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 16:49:41 »

Very much this, which is why I and a few others have been crying out for a poacher all season, yet we go out and get one in on loan in Robinson and we don't create half as many chances inside the box as we had done all season! Ironic.

The number of chances we have in games this season has been in the main quite high, we hit the post, get deflections etc but rarely make the keeper make any save unless its straight at them as we did a few times on Saturday.

Robinson isn't a poacher... he may bring something else to the side at the CG... we'll see.

The problem at the CG is 2 fold.... firstly we don't have enough variety in the goalscoring, which means it's too easy for sides to sit in and defend. Secondly, we give away goals at key times, through defensive including keeper error. This means sides can be fairly confident of scoring and then hold on... Crawley being a classic example.

By variety I mean scorers as well as type... we've 16 at the CG only Yeovil, who are in grave danger of Conference next season have fewer. When you consider 6 came in the first 2 games that's 10 in the next 13, nowhere near good enough.

Keshi hasnt scored at the CG, Kaiyne has 1. Woolf got one as did Joe Romanski, from an air shot, probably not a reliable method. Matty Taylor has one free kick.  A way needs to be found to increase the goals around the side.... once you have the lead then sides have to come out and then it's more like the away formula.

If we're doing x amount of hours on set pieces and dead ball situations in training.... up it to 2x, or 3x if that dosn't work
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 18:01:22 »

Some of our corners have suggested work has been done on the Training ground, but they are still not quite working out yet.  I'm surprised we haven't tried to see what comes of a few McCourt long throws yet though.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 21:26:25 »

Some of our corners have suggested work has been done on the Training ground, but they are still not quite working out yet.  I'm surprised we haven't tried to see what comes of a few McCourt long throws yet though.
Not allowed to throw it when its a corner.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 22:18:01 »

I'm trying to think of a goal at the CG this season from a corner, Woolf v Bury, Joe R v Tranny then I'm struggling. Free kicks not a whole heap better, Taylor v Cobblers can't think of many more.

Had we been able to find a scrappy goal, from a set piece v say Numb, Oldham and Mansfield, then six points better off and in the PO mix, even better if they're late on.

Last season's win v FGR had the classic Luke Norris winning goal, where he sort of fell over in a heap but managed to get some body part on the ball, which squirmed apologetically over the line.  We need more of those....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 07:46:40 »

We are going to crush the hippy gobshites tonight 3-1. I can feel it in my bones.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 08:43:52 »

A draw is no good to us, but I fear that that at 9.45 tonight we'd gladly take one.

A team that averages 1 goal per game at home is always going to struggle.  FGR have presumably built their away record on taking out teams like us.

0-3.  I'm usually completely wrong so here's hoping.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 08:59:45 »

I predict a defeat but there's some new blood = unknown variables. 2-1 to the tree-huggers but with hope of something better. 
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:28:03 »

Fortress County Ground. 3-0 to Eat Your Greens Rovers.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:31:08 »

4-1 Swindon
Flashheart

« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:36:57 »

Time to start manning the fuck up and playing well at home. 2-0 Swindon.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:42:57 »

Not sure but I feel a home win tonight 2-1 -

Bathtime
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 09:57:04 »

Robinson isn't a poacher... he may bring something else to the side at the CG... we'll see.
if you read the other teams forums Southend fans consider him as a poacher, Derby fans also say he is a poacher, I trust them as they have seen him more than any of us have. Even if he doesn't have the goal stats his style is said to be that of poacher, if you watch the YouTube videos of his goals almost all have come inside 12 yards.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:01:45 »

2-1 defeat with Anderson scoring in front of 6,696 with 682 vegan fans there.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:09:40 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Panda Paws

« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:03:55 »

I can feel a home win in my bones if Woolf is back, but realistically, a 2-2 draw.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:06:49 »

I can feel a home win in my bones if Woolf is back, but realistically, a 2-2 draw.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17425558.luke-woolfenden-not-ready-to-return-for-forest-green-rovers-clash-as-swindon-town-wait-on-matt-taylors-fitness/

Doesn't look likely he will play.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: