Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57423 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 12:50:03 »

Will it be another case of after the lord mayor's show? After the win at Tranmere, I was really looking forward to the Crawley game and we were absolute garbage.

FGR probably won't set up as defensively as Crawley and like to play out from the back, so our pressing game and pace could kill them. Dare I say it, but if we win, we are 5 behind FGR. We play Colchester soon as well so if we can beat them in another 6 pointer, maybe, just maybe the play off dream could be reignited.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 13:06:56 »

In the games that we have had shit results at home, I would love to see a montage of the attempts on goals and close misses. Clutching at straws? Yh maybe. But that ball just will not go in on a ridiculous amount of occasions. Against crawly we hit the post in the first half, that would have been a win all day long.

We have to score first thats the only way we can win at home.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #137 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 13:45:16 »

Depends which of our teams show up. We've shown we can be near best, or near worst. Although I expect us to be the former of the 2 in this.
Exactly this, on our day, which is rare, we can surpass skill wise any side in this division, when its not our day we can surpass even the worst for shitness.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #138 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 13:49:58 »

In the games that we have had shit results at home, I would love to see a montage of the attempts on goals and close misses. Clutching at straws? Yh maybe. But that ball just will not go in on a ridiculous amount of occasions. Against crawly we hit the post in the first half, that would have been a win all day long.
Very much this, which is why I and a few others have been crying out for a poacher all season, yet we go out and get one in on loan in Robinson and we don't create half as many chances inside the box as we had done all season! Ironic.

The number of chances we have in games this season has been in the main quite high, we hit the post, get deflections etc but rarely make the keeper make any save unless its straight at them as we did a few times on Saturday.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 14:20:36 »

It's amazing how much the head has to do with the performance of players.  I remember as a kid being very confident when one on one with a keeper - I always thought I'd score and remained quite calm.  Give me a penalty and I'd walk up assuming the keeper would save it!

You can see in a few players that they like the ball at feet, but do not look at all natural in front of goal - we have a mix of players who snatch at chances (worried they'll miss so panic to make sure they get a shot away) and others who must just have zero personal confidence that they see a way to score, so hang on for far too long.  Richards and Doughty are the two exceptions - Richards is a poacher, he has an instinct about where he will need to be to get a chance, has confidence it is then just about getting something on it (unfortunately he's probably a season beyond his ability now and he can't get into those positions as often and is so poor at the hold-up game that he's struggle to make an impression).  Doughty is about ability - he knows he has it, he thinks he will score every time he shoots.  It means you get selfish play at times and he shoots when it really isn't on, but you get what he did Saturday as well.  Without being able to get into the mind of a footballer, I'd swear he really does think he is too good for the keeper to get a hand on it.  So long as your actual ability backs that up, you are on to a winner.  He also can't play with his back to goal, he isn't interested in that.  Early signs Saturday indicate Robinson may be a better player to have around our other forward thinking players as he seemed ok with holding play as well as turning defenders with runs behind them to the channel - unselfish play.  It will work if someone can convince Anderson he can score goals if he shoots when the time is right - like Saturday, no thinking, no trying to beat the man several times, the shot was on, he took it, it flew in.  He won't get those every game but he gets into the box with ball at feet a lot in games.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #140 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 14:50:40 »

Was having a read of the FGR forum (yes I know some fans dont care about other teans etc etc) and some of their fans are moaning about Coopers style, always blames everyone except himself for any losses, blaming the players and the fans and anything but himself(sounds familiar!).

Some also saying that Doidge has upset the rhythm of the side and does not seem the same player since he returned from Bolton after the debacle of his transfer. Fair play to FGR for holding out and not buckling under the bigger clubs pressure.

Several of their fans are asking how to improve the atmosphere at home games, easy, get more than 2,200 home fans, not being funny but its difficult to create any atmosphere when the ground has so few people. Oh and they have a drum.

Their fans on the forum are very very confident of claiming a win tomorrow and yes they have good away form...

FGR overall away form is P15 W8 D5 L2 F29 A16 Pts29

Swindon by comparison away is P16 W7 D4 L5 F20 A19 Pts25

Swindon home form is P15 W4 D6 L5 F16 A22 Pts 18

But FGR current form is DWDLWWDL so they have claimed only 8 points from their last 6 games.

We are slightly better with Swindon current form is DDLWDWLW we have claimed 10 points from the last 6 games.

On paper it looks an away banker, but we have been so hit and miss at home all season who knows if you get good Swindon or bad Swindon.

FGR have never beaten Swindon in a league game (or FA cup for that matter) in our 3 previous league meetings, Town winning 2 and one being a draw. Add to that a win for Town in the FA cup and FGR have only beaten us in the mickey mouse paintpot cup we fielded a half strength team and in the 1st round of the League Cup when we were beaten by a very poor FGR side.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 14:56:46 »

Several of their fans are asking how to improve the atmosphere at home games, easy, get more than 2,200 home fans, not being funny but its difficult to create any atmosphere when the ground has so few people. Oh and they have a drum.

We average 6000 and the atmosphere for home games is crap at the moment.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #142 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 14:58:23 »

We average 6000 and the atmosphere for home games is crap at the moment.
Absolutely, if we can't get one going with nearly 3 times their average they have no hope.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #143 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:16:20 »

I was at Supermarine Saturday where a very loud Hereford scout said that FGR players were on £5k a week on average. Apparently they have top budget for this division, followed by Notts County and Mansfield.
Will Henry looked good. They do like him at Supermarine.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #144 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:20:05 »

I was at Supermarine Saturday where a very loud Hereford scout said that FGR players were on £5k a week on average. Apparently they have top budget for this division, followed by Notts County and Mansfield.
Yes that was the rumour that they were certainly top 5 budget, well ahead of Swindon.

Nice to hear about Will Henry, if he keeps on improving he will be a decent back up in a season or 2.

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:22:05 »

No doubt the scout was of the “look at me I’m a scout, and I’m a massive deal, even though I’m doing this for free” category. £5k - I don’t buy it. That puts each player on £240k per year, and a squad of 25 on £6m. Behave!
Panda Paws

« Reply #146 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:29:39 »

No doubt the scout was of the “look at me I’m a scout, and I’m a massive deal, even though I’m doing this for free” category. £5k - I don’t buy it. That puts each player on £240k per year, and a squad of 25 on £6m. Behave!

That's a top end L1 budget.

I certainly wouldn't put it past FGR to be getting close to £5k a week average for their first team though.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #147 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:29:55 »

I doubt they are all on 5k but I have heard a fair few of the first team are fairly high earners so that figure I don't doubt at all. Doidge being one of the £5k+ pw players.

When they say £5k I expect that to be several of the top earners but not the whole squad.

Dale Vance is underpinning their whole squad with his sponsorship of the club thats obvious as no club could pay anywhere near those sort of wages without his huge funding.

Mansfield too are said to be paying all of Walkers £6k per week during his loan from Forest and Rose refused to leave them for Posh as Posh could not match his current wages.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #148 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 15:41:01 »

FGR signed a new extention of the EESI sponsorship deal (Vances company) in December which works out as £4m per year, also recently signed new deals with Nissan Leaf and Quorn said to be worth a decent (£200k per year) deals too.

Their matchday revenue was only a little over £1m last year according to their accounts for last year.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #149 on: Monday, February 11, 2019, 16:33:38 »

He was a loud mouth, look I'm important tool.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: