Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57377 times)
Combe Up

« Reply #90 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 23:13:48 »

The constant in our decline is Power.... he makes the key decisions he sets the tone and mostly gets it wrong.

Agreed.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 00:07:51 »

Yeah think on that answer. You agree with Reg who has encyclopedic knowledge of the last 60 years and decides we've been pretty much crap for just the last couple of years?  Pfft. Bollocks i call
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 01:49:02 »

Yeah think on that answer. You agree with Reg who has encyclopedic knowledge of the last 60 years and decides we've been pretty much crap for just the last couple of years?  Pfft. Bollocks i call

If you look at our historic position as a middling Div 3 club....you'll find usurping our perch.... Donny, Blackpool, Wycombe, Fleetwood, Cov, Sarfend, Burton. Atm. 2 of those are basket case clubs of the first order, 2 of those are arriviste clubs from non league with small crowds..... another is Trust run, one more came from non league after a previous owner had burned down the old ground, and Sarfend who you might consider a historic opponent, about where they should be.

I would say there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete with these clubs, other than the decisions on how the club is run means atm we're unable to.  By all means call it bollocks, but for me Power has to up his game, if as seems the case he retains ownership of the club.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 09:31:14 »

At least yesterday was much better than last Saturday.

A bit of devils advocate here, from last summer onwards it could be said that Power has done a decent job as chairman.

Stayed in the background.
Managers given full control of recruitment.
Put a structure in place to manage the above and the general football side of things.
Brought the Trust on board with regard to the ground purchase.

If, say within the next 2 - 4 years the builders are in at the CG and a shiny new training facility is in place, would people start to look at Power's time in charge a bit more favourably than they do now?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #94 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 09:39:12 »

Power might turn out to be the most progressive owner this clubs has had in a generation, or two. This could well be the case if alleged stadium and training ground plans come to fruition.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 09:58:50 »

It's all 'jam tomorrow', though.  Quite rightly, fans are impatient.  Just how long does he need?  Maybe if LP spent a little more time in the country, these things would be moving on a little faster.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #96 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 10:17:17 »

If I may respond in the fashion of a facebook bellend...

HAPPY CLAPPER!   POWER OUT!

Etc etc.
Booo.....urns.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #97 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 10:34:25 »

Just how long does he need?  Maybe if LP spent a little more time in the country, these things would be moving on a little faster.

Perhaps he needs as long as it takes? Surely he can't be blamed for red tape etc?
And would things be moving any faster even if he was in the country permanently? What more could he do if he was here?

How long did it take for SBC to get a library for the town? And let's not forget that the trust are involved as well now, at least where the ground purchase is concerned. If we're to go blaming people then they should not be overlooked either.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 10:50:57 »

At least yesterday was much better than last Saturday.

A bit of devils advocate here, from last summer onwards it could be said that Power has done a decent job as chairman.

Stayed in the background.
Managers given full control of recruitment.
Put a structure in place to manage the above and the general football side of things.
Brought the Trust on board with regard to the ground purchase.

If, say within the next 2 - 4 years the builders are in at the CG and a shiny new training facility is in place, would people start to look at Power's time in charge a bit more favourably than they do now?

Power will be judged on results.... Chesterfield have a nice new community stadium etc, seemed to be doing OK when like us got to the Div 3 PO's in 2015, and are now in a battle to keep Conference status.

Power is culpable for getting us to our current position, namely only one other season since the formation of Div 4 in 1958, where we've had fewer points whilst in the bottom tier 2/3rds through.

Righting the wrong of 16/17, and getting us back to Div 3 is a minimum requirement. 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #99 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 11:18:56 »

It's all 'jam tomorrow', though.  Quite rightly, fans are impatient.  Just how long does he need?  Maybe if LP spent a little more time in the country, these things would be moving on a little faster.
Yes but hasn't he appointed Clem Morfuni to deal with the day to day running, an Aussie who still lives in Australia and only comes to the country occassionally......oh wait Smiley

Of course the fans are impatient, thats a fans right, it seems a God given right to most Town fans.

I still look at the table and see Notts County, easily the biggest budget in this division apparently languishing in bottom place 5 points adrift, I see Chesterfield near the bottom of the National in relegation places, I see Orient nearly slip out of that league last season both after some massive investment in the team.

I don't want Swindon in that position and I don't see us slipping down there either.

If you ask the fans of Orient....when they were taken over by the Italian a few years ago, he said he would invest shedloads of money, get in players way better than L1 (at the time) they paid a couple of players a rumoured £20k pw wages see here...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2941681/Cristiano-Ronaldo-filthy-rich-hungry-success.html

Yet they slipped through the division below with barely a whimper and then almost the division below that and only now are they near debt free after the over spending and possibly on the way back into the league under new tenure a team built not on the whim of a rich owner as they were previously up to the point he pulled the plug.

What I am trying to say is that no matter what the budget is it does not guarantee success, especially lower down the leagues, so I would rather we have a squad thats (fairly) competitive and well within budget constraints rather than splashing the cash on has beens who drain the club of vital funding in the quest for promotion.

We are, it seems, living well within our means and I think looking better than we have done in the last 3 seasons on a 1/3 of that budget given to Williams who in my opinion started the rot.

Of all the decisions made by Power aftecting things on the pitch the only true criticism of him was appointing Williams in the first place.

He then appoints Ling who is unfortunately mentally not able to cope with the role (not Powers fault).

He then appointed Flipflop...a proven manager not everyones cup of tea but you cant fault Power for employing someone with experience in this league. He then leaves because hes a twat (not Powers fault).

He then appointed Brown, again a proven manager not everyones cup of tea but you cant fault Power for employing someone with experience in this league. He is sacked because Power sees he isn't doing the job well enough (not Powers fault).

Now he appoints Wellens, a man almost nobody wanted as a prefered choice of manager but at the moment hes been doing ok, sometimes great sometimes poor but hes learning his job and Power then appoints Jewell to aid him, a proven manager with bags of experience...etc etc.

So I don't get where fans are moaning about Power not investing and getting in the right people?

Of course we are impatient for success, Swindon since 1985 have been fortunate to see a rise from this divison to the very top league inside 5 years, then to be demoted then rise again, then yo yo between the Championship, L1 and L2 ever since including a couple of flaunts with administration in that time too.

Its been a tough but exciting 30 odd years, challenging, troubling, exciting, frustrating, entertaining but rarely boring (except sometimes on the pitch especially under Williams!).

We have had media circusses when we had first Macari, then Ardiles, then Hoddle, then MacMahon, then Ruddock and Evans, then Wise & Poyet, then PdC....

Now there is no circus, no fanfare, no elation of fans when Wellens was appointed, it was just...oh him....what on paper appears to be a mediocre cheap appointment, but hes instilled me with more confidence on the pitch already in his 15 matches than any of his 5 or 6 predecessors ever did at any point.

He is being backed as much as he should be so far, hes got ina lot of players, some untried and untested but a few very experienced, a nice blend.

He has us playing far more attractive football on the pitch than Flipflop or Brown ever did, yes we still have holes in positions but I think hes done OK with a couple of blips but he is still learning, the players are still learning his way of doing things too, they need to blend,

But nowadays teams are not given the time to blend, fans want instant results all the time, we are no different but it takes time and it takes players willing to buy into his plans too and commit themselves to being here for another couple of seasons.

Some Town fans need to realise we do not have a God given right to be at a higher level than we are now, you have to earn that, for several seasons we haven't earned that, the management of the team, the players and sometimes the fans have contributed to our failings, we as fans are not blameless, we don't always back the players and manager at home especially.

Sometimes the players don't perform well, thats why they are L2 players and not in a higher league, but we are all too eager to jump on their back and moan at them, like last week, yet the week before they were excellent. We do lack patience but we have had to put up with a lot of shit recently. A lot.

We have no God given right to be in a higher league and we all need to pull together as a team, owner, manager, players and fans to bring that about, in the way that Lincoln have done in the last few years. But we need that spark to set the blue touch paper off, I am hoping Wellens could be that spark.

I am always hoping and never giving up saying things like "thats it, I will never go again" thats not a fan, thats not a supporter, thats a fair weather fan, the sort who will come back when we get a little bit of success or a Wembley visit.

I won't ever give up supporting Swindon no matter how good or bad it gets and if you feel this is as bad as it gets then go, we need fans that are behind the club fully to get us back, we need to pull together and back the team.

Boo if you want, if its that bad you feel the need but be aware this carries over to the players, they are fully aware of the booing and abuse and who would give 100% under those circumstances? nobody I expect, I know if I was booed I wouldnt want to give my all for those booing.

Sorry if some consider that a bit happy clapper, I feel its just being a realist and tolerant.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 11:25:56 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 11:25:21 »

Power will be judged on results.... Chesterfield have a nice new community stadium etc, seemed to be doing OK when like us got to the Div 3 PO's in 2015, and are now in a battle to keep Conference status.

Power is culpable for getting us to our current position, namely only one other season since the formation of Div 4 in 1958, where we've had fewer points whilst in the bottom tier 2/3rds through.

Righting the wrong of 16/17, and getting us back to Div 3 is a minimum requirement. 

Hopefully next season will see an upturn.
Wellens is doing ok at the moment. Admitting to mistakes is good. If he learns from them, even better.
A good run at home for the remaining games should at least give us some confidence over the summer.
But Power will need to support RW's efforts as best he can.
Might not stop a further erosion of the 6,000 in the meantime.
If results pick up next season then some of those who are not too far gone might be tempted to return.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #101 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 11:29:12 »

then appoints Jewell to aid him, a proven manager with bags of experience...etc etc.

Many even complained about that. 'Jobs for the boys'
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #102 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 12:01:11 »

Power might turn out to be the most progressive owner this clubs has had in a generation, or two. This could well be the case if alleged stadium and training ground plans come to fruition.
Or a total cunt who has used transfer funds to buy the highworth land to build houses at a great profit. He then forgets to build the training ground and years later more houses go up. He also buys the ground outbidding the trust, sells up to a housing company and moves us to j16. He buys out the Goddard covenant as whoever now has the rights probably doesn't give a fuck and it's unexpected money in their pocket. Alternatively rebuild the CG with other activities, plenty of money to be had.
In the meantime just string the fans along as the football is relatively unimportant other than finding a rough diamond to polish and sell. As long as crowds stay around the 6k mark.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but who knows. He hardly does himself any favours.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 12:03:46 »

Many even complained about that. 'Jobs for the boys'

Let's see what Jewell brings... he had been out of the game, at a visible level for a while, apart from a short stint at Oldham with Wellens which rapidly went pear shaped.   No idea why that should be the case.... but it's fully understandable after the Sherwood fiasco, that fans are wary of Power appointing his mates.

I remain unconvinced that the present staff and player recruitment, is part of a coherent strategy rather than being done on a wing and a prayer.

I guess we'll need to wait a minimum of 6 months before we may get some clarity from the fog.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 12:08:37 »

I'll agree with some of that PV.

We are where we deserve to be, and don't have a god given right to promotion.
Budget is no guarantee of success or failure. I will say obviously a big budget makes things a lot easier - but we don't have the cash so..

However.

We are, it seems, living well within our means and I think looking better than we have done in the last 3 seasons on a 1/3 of that budget given to Williams who in my opinion started the rot.

Well, we haven't gone into admin/had winding up orders. God knows what we owe Power though, so cautiously optimistic.

Of all the decisions made by Power aftecting things on the pitch the only true criticism of him was appointing Williams in the first place.

I really don't think that is true. Continual late signings in the windows, Sherwood, youth loans when in desperate need of experience, etc. I can't prove it but its happened too often in my eyes to be down to the manager.

I'm relieved it seems to be changing the recruitment approach now.

Totally agree Brown and Flitcroft were the type of managers you'd want in. I would say that Flitcroft and Cooper are doing OK with a bigger budget though.

Boo if you want, if its that bad you feel the need but be aware this carries over to the players, they are fully aware of the booing and abuse and who would give 100% under those circumstances? nobody I expect, I know if I was booed I wouldnt want to give my all for those booing.

Meh, frustration is going to boil over after 3 years of shite at home. It happens at 90% of other clubs too. We aren't that 'special'. I'm not talking about booing players in the 15th minute at 0-0 (Lancashire), but you have to expect it after a shit performance at home to Crawley.

we all need to pull together as a team, owner, manager, players and fans to bring that about, in the way that Lincoln have done in the last few years.

Power has brought this on himself to a large extent. Hopefully Wellens can bring back some feelgood and repair some of the damage
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: