Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57393 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 12:14:11 »

FGR fans not happy about the call off, just sounds a lot like moaning for the sake of it because they are currently on a fairly good run of form, one even thinks Swindon is run by Stroud Council Cheesy

To be honest, who cares what they think anyway?  We all know how this ends.  This year's Rushden & Diamonds.  Enjoy the Football League holiday while it lasts.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #61 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 12:15:48 »

Was talking to a friend who has been working in Stratton for the last few days and he said there difference was stark.
I know its not Swindon but here in Chard we are still under about 8 inches of snow even though the suns been out all day its bitterly cold outside.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 12:16:12 »

Greetings from a balmy Barbados 🏖 No surprise the game is off it was effing freezing Thursday night when I checked into the purple palace @ Gatwick though slightly warmer tracking to the terminal Friday morning. At that time there was hardly any snow in the area. Once airborne we were into the clouds very quickly and didn’t get to peer down onto the carnage as we crossed southern England out to the south west. On the flip side this was probably one of the few games i’d Have liked to see before the seasons end so it is likely that I can get to the rearranged fixture. Wrap up warm everyone.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #63 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 12:39:08 »

To be honest, who cares what they think anyway?  We all know how this ends.  This year's Rushden & Diamonds.  Enjoy the Football League holiday while it lasts.
A few have gone before and ended up back down again, Rushden, as you state, Crawley too have all come from non league, chucked money at it and got some success but fallen by the wayside and heading either towards extinction or there already. Even established sides like Orient (and Notts County this season) have over spent  and fallen down to the brink.

Salford and Fylde are aiming to replicate the rise too by throwing shitloads of money at the team.

I guess they have all been "inspired" by the way that clubs higher in the food chain who have spunked millions on the rise through the leagues from lowest league to the highest, Bolton, Cardiff, Wigan and to a lesser extent Brentford and Bristol City, et al,

All trying hard to emulate the Bournemouth "dream" of staying in the top division after spending £167 million on transfer fees (only recieving £40 million in tranfers out over the same time) since 2012 to get there and stay there.

If you can afford to waste it then you can get to the highest and stay there so you can see why Vance is doing it, massive risk but he can afford it at the moment.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 13:47:18 »

Brilliant post.  There's little else in football that irritates me more than a purchased League place.  I know not a lot about FGR and whether they fall in to this category, but Wigan & Fulham in particular wound me up in the past.

For all the mediocrity of STFC, having someone dump a load of cash on the squad and then say 'there you are, up the league you go' would be a complete turn off for me.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #65 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 14:02:53 »

Brilliant post.  There's little else in football that irritates me more than a purchased League place.  I know not a lot about FGR and whether they fall in to this category, but Wigan & Fulham in particular wound me up in the past.

For all the mediocrity of STFC, having someone dump a load of cash on the squad and then say 'there you are, up the league you go' would be a complete turn off for me.
FGR had easily the biggest budget in the league when they came out of the National League and apparently are a top 2 or 3 budget this season and with crowds of about 1/3 of ours that must tell you all you need to know about funding.

Although I totally agree about it feeling wrong if that happened, the thought of actually having that sort of backing must be a pretty good feeling, albeit temporarily but to have a financially stable and self sufficient club is by far the best option.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 14:39:40 »

Brilliant post.  There's little else in football that irritates me more than a purchased League place.  I know not a lot about FGR and whether they fall in to this category, but Wigan & Fulham in particular wound me up in the past.

Can’t agree. Unfortunately, without a good injection of cash we’ll be forever in the bottom 2 leagues. Some may well be happy with that, but not me.

That Red Bull fiasco a few years back would have been great as far as I’m concerned. It’s not a given even with a big budget - ask Notts County fans. Surely nobody really disliked the PdC era even with all the cash making it possible.

Almost anything is better than the stupefying position we’ve been in for a while now.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 14:42:53 »

What red bull fiasco?  The unsubstantiated rumours of red bull investment which culminated in Power buying a 6 pack of red bull?

Not really a fiasco.

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 14:54:08 »

Football as is often the case mirrors our wider society..... back in the Thatcherite 80's when many of the seeds which now infect our body politic were sown.  Namely a move away from more social forms of ownership of key services and institutions, to placing them into private hands, so that wealth generated would go upwards rather than outwards.

Included in this were our football clubs.. so STFC had a change of Articles of Association, as it was felt that the old Co-op model of the club being owned by small shareholders inhibited progress as potential wealthy investors were put off, by the fact their vote had no more weight than my vote.

Many fans accepted the logic of this argument... in much the same way they accepted the Thatcherite argument or Tory Brexit.  However, what they hoped for at STFC was a Dale Vince type, someone prepared to come in and spend money above what the club itself could generate.

What we've got atm is Power who has happily stated his mission is to make money and run the club on what it can generate.  I suspect there wouldn't be too many fans who if offered a vote on the matter wouldn't take Vince over Power.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 15:06:16 »

What red bull fiasco?  The unsubstantiated rumours of red bull investment which culminated in Power buying a 6 pack of red bull?

Not really a fiasco.
This.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 15:21:29 »

Not looking good for the PO optimists, Exeter 2-0 up on Franchise, which at least means they'e imploding at the wrong time, which could be good news for us next Saturday.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 16:48:19 »

Can’t agree. Unfortunately, without a good injection of cash we’ll be forever in the bottom 2 leagues. Some may well be happy with that, but not me.

That Red Bull fiasco a few years back would have been great as far as I’m concerned. It’s not a given even with a big budget - ask Notts County fans. Surely nobody really disliked the PdC era even with all the cash making it possible.

Almost anything is better than the stupefying position we’ve been in for a while now.
So you'd have been happy becoming RB Swindon or something shit like that? Do me a favour.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 16:56:15 »

many successful clubs have 'bought their place'.

Bournemouth for example. wouldn't have a problem if the same happened to us. Would probably draw the line at a RB rebrand.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 16:57:16 »

So you'd have been happy becoming RB Swindon or something shit like that? Do me a favour.
Pretty much. Who wants a life languishing down here.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 16:58:52 »

Pretty much. Who wants a life languishing down here.
Think you're in the minority there, that would be the end for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: