Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57415 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 11:56:51 »

Will it be on? Will we get a result?
I'm say, yes and no. Orange ball will be used.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:07:02 »

No and no from me Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:13:51 »

I don't think it will be on.... it stops snowing around tea time but is cold all tomorrow.   Given we haven't had a postponement yet, and it's v our nearest neighbours,  makes sense to call it off.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:14:57 »

No chance, not in this day and age.

Midweek job now..

Clems Army!
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:16:28 »

Fair play to them but ....

https://twitter.com/Official_STFC/status/1091291741876031489?s=20

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:17:56 »

done that a few times before. can't get the car out this time

just can't see how this will be on
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:18:10 »

No chance, not in this day and age.

Midweek job now..
They used to make them of harder stuff back the the 70s Cheesy

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:32:12 »

They used to make them of harder stuff back the the 70s Cheesy

I wonder if you can help PV, I'm thinking of a game I think v Darlo, would have been some time in the early 80's, there was a bit of snow about, but in my opinion not enough for a postponment by old skool standards, I trotted down the CG, but it was off.

The recall is a bit vague however, so I'm wondering if I imagined it.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:52:29 »

If its off it wont be because of the pitch, it will be icy pavements and steps in the ground
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:54:40 »

I wonder if you can help PV, I'm thinking of a game I think v Darlo, would have been some time in the early 80's, there was a bit of snow about, but in my opinion not enough for a postponment by old skool standards, I trotted down the CG, but it was off.

The recall is a bit vague however, so I'm wondering if I imagined it.
I do remember a game being called off late but then again there wasn't so much social media to get word around back then so it happened a couple of times IIRC, for the life of me I don't remember who it was against though I am afraid.

I know a lot of games were postponed back then because of severe frost and icing down in front of the Shrivenham Road stand which was probably to blame for 80% of all postponements back then.

No sorry not sure about the opponents at all but I do remember a few of very late call offs, less than 2 hours pre kick off was on occassions.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:59:11 »

I do remember a game being called off late but then again there wasn't so much social media to get word around back then so it happened a couple of times IIRC, for the life of me I don't remember who it was against though I am afraid.

I know a lot of games were postponed back then because of severe frost and icing down in front of the Shrivenham Road stand which was probably to blame for 80% of all postponements back then.

No sorry not sure about the opponents at all but I do remember a few of very late call offs, less than 2 hours pre kick off was on occassions.

I'm now thinking it may have been 85/86, when we had that spell of postponements at the CG, due to the infamous straw on the pitch, as frost protection  Wink

That was when we ended up playing 6 away games in a row and winning the lot.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:02:38 »

I'm now thinking it may have been 85/86, when we had that spell of postponements at the CG, due to the infamous straw on the pitch, as frost protection  Wink
I remember the straw on the pitch, we did that for a couple of seasons! mind you our pitch was pretty awful back then they could have played with it still on the pitch with little difference!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:08:52 »

I remember the straw on the pitch, we did that for a couple of seasons! mind you our pitch was pretty awful back then they could have played with it still on the pitch with little difference!

The straw was a cover, not for frost. Can't quite remember the details, but it came from a director who had a farm and allegedly charged way over the odds.  When the tractor spread it around the tyres fucked the pitch.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:17:30 »

Remember in the late sixties used to travel up with a mate and his father driving,  transistor radio on the lap struggling to get any reception,  when weather was dodgy once we got past Devizes it was our job to watch all the traffic going in the opposite direction to see if anyone was wearing red and white scarves aiming back towards home.  
Saved us a full journey a couple of times spotting cars on their way back.   Mind you also remember getting as far as the magic roundabout before seeing the blackboard chalked with 'GAME OFF' on it.
All different now with mobile phones and internet technology !!!.
  But either way,  can't see it going ahead tomorrow somehow.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:34:56 »

Remember in the late sixties used to travel up with a mate and his father driving,  transistor radio on the lap struggling to get any reception,  when weather was dodgy once we got past Devizes it was our job to watch all the traffic going in the opposite direction to see if anyone was wearing red and white scarves aiming back towards home.  
Saved us a full journey a couple of times spotting cars on their way back.   Mind you also remember getting as far as the magic roundabout before seeing the blackboard chalked with 'GAME OFF' on it.
All different now with mobile phones and internet technology !!!.
  But either way,  can't see it going ahead tomorrow somehow.

I like that story..... yep I remember going to away games and seeing people going back t'other way and thinking.... oh.

Didn't always work though.... sometimes you'd get through, to find an empty ground.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: