Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 57387 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 17:03:49 »

Think you're in the minority there, that would be the end for me.
And the shit we’ve had to put up with these last few years hasn’t? It’s done for me more or less.

I’d hazard a guess you’ve a bit more time than me to witness a revival!
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 17:07:39 »

10 points away from playoffs now, 11 realistically due to goal difference.

Any slim chance we might have had has now fucked off.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #77 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 17:11:09 »

I am probably in the minority too, I would rather have Power in charge than Vance who I think obtrudes his opinions on fans and comes accross as narcissistic.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 17:21:11 »

Power may get a spawny season out of us and limp into L1, but he cannot progress the club beyond that. Not saying it’s his fault, but hasn’t  got, or won’t use, whatever spondooliks he has.

The life of a bottom feeder club.
Flashheart

« Reply #79 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 17:21:34 »

Brilliant post.  There's little else in football that irritates me more than a purchased League place.  I know not a lot about FGR and whether they fall in to this category, but Wigan & Fulham in particular wound me up in the past.

For all the mediocrity of STFC, having someone dump a load of cash on the squad and then say 'there you are, up the league you go' would be a complete turn off for me.

I wouldn't go that far. Football tends to be fun under sugar daddies. It depends, of course, on things.

I'd still prefer the other option, though. There's more satisfaction to be had in being successful after having done it properly.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 17:54:48 »

10 points away from playoffs now, 11 realistically due to goal difference.

Any slim chance we might have had has now fucked off.

At no point since Flitcroft left have we really looked like a club capable of reaching the PO's.... personally I think PO's in Div 4 should be regarded as failure... we should be aiming for automatic promotion, there are 3 slots available.

Wellens now needs to get a handle on the home form and start to show that we might have something about us for next season.... which must include building a squad of our own players in key positions and not the Power policy of relying on loan kids.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #81 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:00:05 »

Power may get a spawny season out of us and limp into L1, but he cannot progress the club beyond that. Not saying it’s his fault, but hasn’t  got, or won’t use, whatever spondooliks he has.

The life of a bottom feeder club.
TBF in our 140 years as a club at least 95% of those years we could be classed as a bottom feeder club.

Of course I would want better for the club positionally but who is to say that Wellens won't take us there with the budget constraints of Power, whether this season or next? and then maybe further up the pyramid.

Yes if a genuine Town fan came forward with near unlimited funding that would be great, but again who is to say that if they aren't a fan then they won't do what Andrew Black did and get fed up and withdraw ALL funding as he did. This has happened at many many other clubs in the past and you can count the lucky ones who have not had the funding removed when they got bored on the fingers of one hand.

Also there is no new buyer around willing to buy us. A point we have gone over a hundred times, nobody wants to buy us because if they did then Power would have no hesitation in selling of that I am 100% sure he will sell - but there arent any.

We wouldnt be in the position of having Power as an owner if there were ANY other interested parties, let alone rich ones. We have Power because NOBODY with any financial backing wanted to own us and still don't.

Some fans say nobody will buy because the club is not up for sale.

They analogize that you only sell your car when you advertise it for sale, thats absolute rubbish!

If somebody wants your car enough then they will stop you and make you an offer for it whether the car is up for sale or not and advertising the car as being for sale tells people you are fed up with it and invite tyre kickers without the full funds to buy it for what you want (look at Jed previously at the club).

Then you sell for a lot less than you originally wanted more often than not or you end up with everyone knowing you now have a car that you don't want and nobody else wants or you sell it to someone that says they will restore it as long as you sell it to them and more often than not it ends up on the scrapheap.

I guess I am just more tolerant of our current position and ownership than many Town fans seem to be.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:02:42 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:11:43 »

Of course I would want better for the club positionally but who is to say that Wellens won't take us there with the budget constraints of Power, whether this season or next? and then maybe further up the pyramid.

It seems we're stuck with Power, but I don't think most Town fans are being unrealistic when they think we ought to be hanging about mid table in Div 3 as a sort of default.... not the 20 odd places lower that Power has taken us.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #83 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:15:01 »

It seems we're stuck with Power, but I don't think most Town fans are being unrealistic when they think we ought to be hanging about mid table in Div 3 as a sort of default.... not the 20 odd places lower that Power has taken us.
We all want better than where we are but to single out as being solely Powers fault is wrong IMO, the manager/s and players must take more responsibility than the owner.

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:34:22 »

Pretty much. Who wants a life languishing down here.
I'm with you Audrey. 4 or 5 years ago I'd probably have been dead against the idea. Football has changed so much now though. The fans are very much secondary. It if took being called Red Bull Swindon Town to push through the leagues then I think I'd take it.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:40:55 »

We all want better than where we are but to single out as being solely Powers fault is wrong IMO, the manager/s and players must take more responsibility than the owner.

I'd include the fans in that group.
Flashheart

« Reply #86 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:42:40 »

We've been let down badly by the last couple of managers. A lot of the blame goes there as well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 18:52:40 »

The constant in our decline is Power.... he makes the key decisions he sets the tone and mostly gets it wrong.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 21:58:22 »

TBF in our 140 years as a club at least 95% of those years we could be classed as a bottom feeder club.

Yes if a genuine Town fan came forward with near unlimited funding that would be great, but again who is to say that if they aren't a fan then they won't do what Andrew Black did and get fed up and withdraw ALL funding as he did. This has happened at many many other clubs in the past and you can count the lucky ones who have not had the funding removed when they got bored on the fingers of one hand.

Also there is no new buyer around willing to buy us. A point we have gone over a hundred times, nobody wants to buy us because if they did then Power would have no hesitation in selling of that I am 100% sure he will sell - but there arent any.

We wouldnt be in the position of having Power as an owner if there were ANY other interested parties, let alone rich ones. We have Power because NOBODY with any financial backing wanted to own us and still don't.

Some fans say nobody will buy because the club is not up for sale.

They analogize that you only sell your car when you advertise it for sale, thats absolute rubbish!

If somebody wants your car enough then they will stop you and make you an offer for it whether the car is up for sale or not and advertising the car as being for sale tells people you are fed up with it and invite tyre kickers without the full funds to buy it for what you want (look at Jed previously at the club).

Then you sell for a lot less than you originally wanted more often than not or you end up with everyone knowing you now have a car that you don't want and nobody else wants or you sell it to someone that says they will restore it as long as you sell it to them and more often than not it ends up on the scrapheap.

I guess I am just more tolerant of our current position and ownership than many Town fans seem to be.

If I may respond in the fashion of a facebook bellend...

HAPPY CLAPPER!   POWER OUT!

Etc etc.

Never knowingly overstated.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 21:58:42 »

The constant in our decline is Power.... he makes the key decisions he sets the tone and mostly gets it wrong.

I surprisingly agree with you. I feel as do others that relying on a dearth of loans since flogging off the crown jewels has also contributed to our decline. It cannot in anyway help the club to keep having a mass exodus and clearout of staff every season and start all over again.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 3, 2019, 11:41:36 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: