Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444380 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: Monday, July 29, 2019, 21:36:47 »

Looks like they got the EFL backing thanks to the prospective owners agreeing a loan from the PFA to pay the players once they takeover - that would be a big warning sign for me, suggests they don;t really have much by way of financial backing.  They may have a few years of struggle ahead of them.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 09:27:22 »

This should be the wake up call the EFL needs to start proper legislation on owners and club finances. At this rate they are going to be finding themselves with a 23 team League 1 before the season has even started.
The League have had plenty of wake-up calls, many far more urgent than this. They much prefer to keep their heads in the sand, muttering about clubs being independent businesses that it would be wrong for the league to interfere with.

A Football League spokesman pictured last night giving a full statement on the situation at Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield, Coventry etc etc etc
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 14:02:36 »

If, and a big "if" that Bury go defunct means that Divvy 1 will have only 23 clubs. Will that then mean three relegations and four promoted from Divvy 2 or just two relegations and three promoted as normal?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 10:14:36 »

If, and a big "if" that Bury go defunct means that Divvy 1 will have only 23 clubs. Will that then mean three relegations and four promoted from Divvy 2 or just two relegations and three promoted as normal?

Nah its all going to be fine at Bury, if the bloody EFL would just let the owner get on with things and stop messing them about!

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2045886-bury-fc-owner-vows-to-challenge-injustice-after-fixture-blow

Although in other news the Winding Up Petition from HMRC has been dismissed in court this AM.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 10:19:41 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 11:46:49 »

D-Day 2 for Bury. If they don't submit the required paperwork to the League today, their second game next week will also be postponed. And they must then be in real danger of being expelled.

A very good piece in the Graun today that uses Bury's dilemma to encapsulate not just their plight but the whole spirit of this thread and indeed of being a lower league fan (although it is a bit Reg-y in places):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/aug/02/bury-plight-efl-fans-boredom-pain-for-granted

I especially enjoyed this bit:

Wes Hoolahan – an international footballer – was on trial in pre-season. Or more accurately, Cambridge were on trial during Wes Hoolahan’s pre-season. And we didn’t make the grade.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 2, 2019, 11:48:59 by pauld » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 12:20:18 »

Wes Hoolahan. Remember him well.
Not celebrating a goal against an opponent that he was due to join ffs. Scaling the heights of pathetic.
Might have been Norwich v Villa in the PL and the move never happened at that time anyway.

As for Bury, they should be put out of their misery, and everyone else's.
No excuse for an opening day fixture not being fulfilled.

The EFL needs to get a grip on the wherewithal of potential club owners.
The National League wouldn't piss about with something like this at their level.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 2, 2019, 12:23:20 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 21:21:37 »

If we were L1 and not playing Bolton I'd be mighty pissed off. How is this fair to other teams?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49211030
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 21:51:46 »

Not looking good for Bury. Their second game now suspended, having failed again to provide evidence they can settle their debts:

“Bury's second game of the season against Accrington Stanley has been suspended by the EFL.”

More: bbc.in/2YDuham

#bbcfootball
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 21:57:21 »

If we were L1 and not playing Bolton I'd be mighty pissed off. How is this fair to other teams?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49211030
Indeed. There's regulations about not fielding a competitive team, I know Bolton don't have a choice right now, but the same thing applies. Fact is, while they've just about managed to scrape together whatever bits of piss and wind the League require to persuade them they can complete the season with 3 senior outfield players they are clearly not in a fit state to start the season. I get that the League are trying to give them headroom to complete the takeover but if it hasn't been done by now, then what guarantee is there it will be done by September? October? Or that they can indeed complete their fixtures? The League are turning their own competition into a farce by failing to
a) have proper governance in place
b) adequately enforce what little governance they do have.
Flashheart

« Reply #714 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 22:05:16 »

I was going to say it's embarrassing for those in charge...

But I suspect that they could not give a flying one. They will not be embarrassed when they are going to the bank.
Flashheart

« Reply #715 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 22:05:39 »

I forgot to add...

Cunts
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 22:17:01 »

Someone does need to go to the wall. Then the craziness might end. It won't though. Wouldn't wish Bolton and Bury fans ill will, just the stupid dickheads who got them into this predicament. Wankers all of them.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 22:45:56 »

If Lansdown kicks the bucket the Shitheads will be royaly fucked.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: Saturday, August 3, 2019, 12:47:52 »

A quote from Burys’ lawyer :”The actions from the EFL are causing immeasurable damage to Bury Football Club”
I should say the actions of the chairman have caused all the damage, allowing such disgraceful overspending

I come from a land down-under
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #719 on: Saturday, August 3, 2019, 12:49:54 »

If Lansdown kicks the bucket the Shitheads will be royaly fucked.

Unfortunately not, Jon Lansdown is Vice chairman, Steves son, the legacy will live on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: