Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444285 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #630 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 13:41:50 »

At Macclesfield...

Macclesfield Town's winding-up petition has been adjourned until 14th August.

Egerton Youth Club have been paid, and one of the unpaid players will now take over as lead petitioner.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 13:53:00 »

Bury should become a one word put down to anyone moaning about squad spending, for any club in this league.  The more I think about their season, the more I think I'd be more than happy for the FL to demote them.  Whether it was fully intentional or not to play the system, they have.  They could never afford their squad, yet they kept it together past the Transfer Window and almost immediately stopped paying them.  If I was a team like Mansfield, I'd be livid, but maybe I might be looking inwards and thinking, it's what we are doing, just with more secure funding.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 15:56:37 »

I'd be very surprised if Mansfield didn't do some behind-the-scenes legal checks... unless they're not holier than thou either!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 14:36:51 »

FGR's veganism has nothing on this...

Quite Interesting
‏Verified account @qikipedia
8m8 minutes ago

Third division Spanish football club Mostoles Balompie has renamed itself Flat Earth FC, with its president announcing the club is now dedicated to the flat earth movement.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 19:45:35 »

Bury should become a one word put down to anyone moaning about squad spending, for any club in this league.  The more I think about their season, the more I think I'd be more than happy for the FL to demote them.  Whether it was fully intentional or not to play the system, they have.  They could never afford their squad, yet they kept it together past the Transfer Window and almost immediately stopped paying them.  If I was a team like Mansfield, I'd be livid, but maybe I might be looking inwards and thinking, it's what we are doing, just with more secure funding.
But it worked for them, like it or not.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 19:47:05 »

Maybe, until the rules get changed again.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 19:51:36 »

Maybe, until the rules get changed again.
Never knew that the rules had been changed.    Didn't we originally get demoted two divisions for financial irregularities ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 20:52:34 »

Bury are hardly and example to follow.  They now have a likely 12 point deduction coming, lost their Manager, most of their players and other staff.  They will probably get relegated again and find themselves worse off in L2 the season after.

My annoyance with them is how on earth did they convince the EFL that they were spending less than the limit on wages?  They didn't pay players from March and when they got one of the Winding-Up petitions extended is was based on getting the next seasons EFL money, not income from the current season.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 21:21:35 »

Never knew that the rules had been changed.    Didn't we originally get demoted two divisions for financial irregularities ?.

Tax evasion, undeclared payments and maybe a few other transgressions. Bury’s are for spending more than they were entitled to v % of income.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 5, 2019, 06:20:48 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #639 on: Thursday, July 4, 2019, 21:41:52 »

It did?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: Friday, July 5, 2019, 08:44:30 »

My annoyance with them is how on earth did they convince the EFL that they were spending less than the limit on wages?  They didn't pay players from March and when they got one of the Winding-Up petitions extended is was based on getting the next seasons EFL money, not income from the current season.

I am a little confused about the FL starting to forward pay future payments to clubs in dire straits, I always thought that it was this cash that was used to pay the preferential football creditors if the company went bust, but if say Bury or Bolton went bang now the cash has already been credited to the clubs under the previous owners?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: Friday, July 5, 2019, 10:24:08 »

Define "worked". Yes they got promoted, but at the cost of bankrupting the club. That stay in League 1 is likely to be short-lived and humiliating, assuming they make it through this season, they'll be back down next season in worse shape than they left it and it could take years to undo the damage that has been done to the club. The purpose of promotion is to go up, stabilise in the division above and then try to kick on. If you come crashing back down in a mess, that's not "worked" for them at all.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: Friday, July 12, 2019, 10:53:06 »

So it now turns out that the League didn't even apply the rules on takeovers to Bury:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/11/bury-takeover-without-full-football-league-approval-transfer-embargo-efl

You could drive a coach and horses through the rules they have, but if they don't even bother to enforce those then what's the point? The Football League is indeed, as the song says, full of shit
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: Friday, July 12, 2019, 13:14:41 »

summed up by a Bury fan. Have to feel deeply for their fans.

Well it gets worse.

It’s come to light that Steve Dale never passed the EFL ‘fit and proper’ test, yet here he is, 7 months later, killing the club off.

He has never submitted anything to prove he has necessary funding to sustain the club. Essentially he’s just walked in and the EFL haven’t done anything.

Whilst not wholly to blame at all for our mess, some of the blood is undoubtedly on the hands of the EFL. They could have used their power to remove Dale and appoint an administrator months ago yet haven’t.

Staff have been told to walk away as the club is insolvent and the debt is unrecoverable.

The end is now.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: Friday, July 12, 2019, 20:17:27 »

Hey ho, at least the EFL are getting its priorities right by showing concern about whether fans want goal-line technology and VAR.

Shame about Bury. I hope they don't fold as my record at Gigg Lane is three wins from three visits.

In all seriousness, Bury looks fucked, which is gutting for the fans, employees and others. Even if Bury go bust, I wouldn't have confidence in the EFL pulling its finger out to truly safeguard football fans and the clubs they support from falling foul of unfit owners and unsustainable ambitions.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: