Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444616 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 15:53:04 »

The 1st team? I know the Academy train there up to U16s but are you sure the 1st team have? I'd be surprised, if nothing else because it's so heavily used by the Academy lads

I have no inside knowledge other than what the kids have told me.
It's possible the Beversbrook pitch was frozen and LP was the only 3G available or kids were winding me up!   (It's easily done!)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 15:56:59 »

I have no inside knowledge other than what the kids have told me.
It's possible the Beversbrook pitch was frozen and LP was the only 3G available or kids were winding me up!   (It's easily done!)
Or they saw the U16s training/playing a match there and thought it was the 1st team? Beversbrook and Stanley Park both have 3G pitches so even if the grass was frozen at Beversbrook, they could just use the 3G. I'd be genuinely astonished if the 1st team were training at LPA.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 16:28:44 »

Or they saw the U16s training/playing a match there and thought it was the 1st team? Beversbrook and Stanley Park both have 3G pitches so even if the grass was frozen at Beversbrook, they could just use the 3G. I'd be genuinely astonished if the 1st team were training at LPA.

Astonishing yes, but it definitely happened under Mark Coopers (pre Beeversbrook) reign according to Adver, so could have happened since.
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10919998.swindon-town-boss-hails-lydiard-park-academy-for-training-help/

I'm sure it's very rare though!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 16:41:56 »

Astonishing yes, but it definitely happened under Mark Coopers (pre Beeversbrook) reign according to Adver, so could have happened since.
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10919998.swindon-town-boss-hails-lydiard-park-academy-for-training-help/

I'm sure it's very rare though!

But that was when they were training at Liddington, there'd be no need to do that now as they'd just use the 3G at Beversbrook. Or Ciren. Or Supermarine. All much better than the 3G at Lydiard.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Sunday, June 2, 2019, 03:27:10 »

Anthony Joshua losing. Didn’t see that coming. He seems a decent person as well.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Thursday, June 6, 2019, 21:06:25 »

More worries for Yeovil: takeover in trouble

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48526137
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #516 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 07:55:00 »

More worries for Yeovil: takeover in trouble

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48526137
Yeah been in the news down here for weeks, any takeover looks unlikely currently, no squad, no manager, no money, no fans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:27:39 »

Yeah been in the news down here for weeks, any takeover looks unlikely currently, no squad, no manager, no money, no fans.
How bad actually is it? "No squad" etc is the kind of hyperbole fans regularly engage in, but how fucked are they at the moment?
Flashheart

« Reply #518 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:31:22 »

Or... how many players do they have that we can scavenge?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:38:43 »

Or... how many players do they have that we can scavenge?
How many would we want? Struggling to think of any, they looked like a side rightly bound for relegation when we played them, even though we managed to offer them a glint of hope
Flashheart

« Reply #520 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:46:23 »

No idea, that's JJ's neck of the woods.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #521 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:49:23 »

How bad actually is it? "No squad" etc is the kind of hyperbole fans regularly engage in, but how fucked are they at the moment?
They have had 2 interested buyers since the previous one fell through due to lack of funding and not passing the fit and proper test, the current owner will sell for any price but cannot attract anyone, so much so that Harry Redknapp has been asked if he wishes to invest, they are losing money hand over fist and have about 8 players under contract and all are available for transfer.

No manager will come in due to the uncertaintly of the ownership and I think they have sold about 200 season tickets so far (Notts County have broken 2,500 already in comparison).

without new owners they are unsustainable, the fans hate the current owner, there is a real despondancy with the fans. I wouldn't be shocked to see them fall through this league southwards as Torquay did.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:50:30 »

Relatively speaking it's not that long ago..... I remember it, Yeovil were relegated out of the Conference, at the time there were 3 feeder leagues.  Yeovil opted for the Isthmian League, basically London and suburbs. Their thinking, they can't get players down to Somerset, so just used London based players bussed in every other Sat for home games... away games took care of itself.

Recruitment is always a problem for SW teams, as a relatively small population and long journeys involved. 

We just about miss the worst of it, but having to rely on London based players, isn't without its problems
Peter Venkman

« Reply #523 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 08:56:24 »

As Reg says yes they had a team almost entirely London based and it paid off for them, they had training in South London twice a week and it paid off for them they stormed the league that season, my best mates favourite season ever as a Yeovil fan actually he thinks.

Yeovil is in the middle of nowhere and they have always struggled to attract players that are not Bristol/Exeter based as its a 2 and half hour train/drive from London on a good day.

They are in trouble, they do have a couple of players that could do a job for us but in the main I wouldn't take any off their hands currently, except maybe that young Welsh lad that was linked a couple of days ago, Tom James.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 09:00:15 »

Shit, they're really in the brown stuff then. Cheers JJ (and Reg for the historical perspective!)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: