Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444296 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 17:34:35 »

While streaming the live game in the Premier league between Liverpool and Chelsea on their iPhones.

According to the MK forum after their home game with us some MK fans were seen to be live streaming a Premier League game on their mobiles during the match. Something that was not entirely shouted down on their forum as some fans can see the benefit of this. (see the Concrete Roundabout Forum for details).

That is EXACTLY why Franchise should be wiped out from football history ASAP.

There's one (probably aged late 40s) who sits near me on a weekly basis and probably spends 75% of the game with his head in his phone, providing a running update of premier league scores and his Super 6 latest.

It's just a sign of the times. It's delusional to think that this type of thing is unique to one club.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 17:45:56 »

There's one (probably aged late 40s) who sits near me on a weekly basis and probably spends 75% of the game with his head in his phone, providing a running update of premier league scores and his Super 6 latest.

It's just a sign of the times. It's delusional to think that this type of thing is unique to one club.
I have not witnessed anyone actually watching a different game while attending a Swindon match, yes some people are interested in the scores of other matches(and always have been), often for betting purposes or especially near the end of the season but to actually watch a game on their mobile while at a match is not so much a sign of the times as being just wrong IMO.

Each to their own though as I personally couldn't give a shit about any team that isn't Swindon.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 18:03:16 »

I have not witnessed anyone actually watching a different game while attending a Swindon match, yes some people are interested in the scores of other matches(and always have been), often for betting purposes or especially near the end of the season but to actually watch a game on their mobile while at a match is not so much a sign of the times as being just wrong IMO.

Each to their own though as I personally couldn't give a shit about any team that isn't Swindon.

In my opinion the difference is pretty trivial though. This guy completely missed the fact that Stevenage (with their tiny away support) had scored the other week until the tannoy announced it. He was sitting there spouting about some incident in the Champs League which he had been reading all about online. He clearly wouldn’t have done so 20 years ago. Nobody is in the slightest bit interested, but nobody says anything because it’s harmless.

Like you, during a game, I’m completely indifferent to any other scores, including those of teams around us in the table.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 18:05:07 by ferret » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 18:05:15 »

Like you, during a game, I’m completely indifferent to any other scores, including those of teams around us in the table.
Absolutely I just don't get it, I am only slightly interested in other results for the last couple of weeks of the season, then not too much unless we are losing and so are our rivals.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 18:18:17 »

I watched a game on the Extension behind the Bank once, does that count?  It was more entertaining than the Town game and had a diabolical offside decision not given for a goal.  Well, I watched a few minutes of it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 18:26:48 »

Absolutely I just don't get it, I am only slightly interested in other results for the last couple of weeks of the season, then not too much unless we are losing and so are our rivals.

People are all different, so for example if you are someone on the ADHD spectrum, it may be you find it difficult to watch the match "intently" and are grateful for distractions... in pre phone days, perhaps you'd read the programme.  I couldn't care what folk do as long as they are there, and it doesn't impinge too much on others around.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:06:32 »

The tight arse in me just thinks what a waste of mobile data watching a game on your phone!

Going back to the rivalry thing. What always makes me laugh, well cringe, is when fans can’t separate the football team from the town/city. I’ve seen people say stuff along the lines of the fact they refuse to set foot in a rival’s town/city. It’s probably bollocks to try and sound a bit edgy, if true then get a grip of yourself
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:08:35 »

Quote from: herthab
100%. I think a lot of the comments get forced out. Frankly, if you asked me now, I'd prefer them to stay up than go down. That's on the basis that we will probably stay down... and I'd rather have a good, healthy day out at places like Wimbledon and Plymouth than having to cower in Oxford's unappealing ground, without the opportunity for a beer or anything, for a total of about 4 hours.

Obviously I understand that things are a bit different with MKD, and I can understand the principle of not wanting to go anywhere near the club. But then we routinely take a bigger following there than we take anywhere else. People will come on here, make all manner of comments about what a disgrace to football the club is... and then ask how much it costs to park at their ground. 
I think there's a huge difference between tribalism and hooliganism. Tribalism is an ingrained part of following a team, not just in football either. You have rival teams which you dislike and this adds to the matchday experience when you play them. A victory against a local rival is always sweeter, a defeat always harder to take. I'd hate football to become so sanitised that everyone sits together to enjoy the 'product'.
well said
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:09:06 »

The tight arse in me just thinks what a waste of mobile data watching a game on your phone!

Going back to the rivalry thing. What always makes me laugh, well cringe, is when fans can’t separate the football team from the town/city. I’ve seen people say stuff along the lines of the fact they refuse to set foot in a rival’s town/city. It’s probably bollocks to try and sound a bit edgy, if true then get a grip of yourself
That’d be me!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:11:22 »

Quote from: RobertT
I watched a game on the Extension behind the Bank once, does that count?  It was more entertaining than the Town game and had a diabolical offside decision not given for a goal.  Well, I watched a few minutes of it.

in summer you usually get a few cricketers that you can just about see from our seat. Have watched that for a good 5 minutes before.

reminds me of I think a Danny Baker story, Millwall were shit, they started kicking a can around at the back of the terrace. One of them 'scored' and about 50 people cheered.

no, no idea what I'm rambling about either
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:12:48 »

Was it Stoke fans that did the conga on the Bank when we beat them 6-0
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:13:03 »

I've refused to drink a nice looking Oxfordshire beer, instead getting something that tasted like cats piss..

yeah it's pathetic. I know
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:15:21 »

Was it Stoke fans that did the conga on the Bank when we beat them 6-0

Yes
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:19:35 »

I've refused to drink a nice looking Oxfordshire beer, instead getting something that tasted like cats piss..

yeah it's pathetic. I know

I wouldn't tar the county with the same brush as the city.  The county produces some lovely beer... and parts of it prefer their football red not yellow

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 21:20:26 »

Fuck off Ferret.

I say that on the basis you are still ignoring me

I'm being un-ignored now, I wonder if quoting a post works  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 102   Go Up