Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444240 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 09:01:47 »

Started going to watch Banbury United a fair bit, really enjoyable, stand at the side with a beer etc. Not doing too bad in the league too.

And yes, they still hate Jed.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 09:18:36 »

Started going to watch Banbury United a fair bit, really enjoyable, stand at the side with a beer etc. Not doing too bad in the league too.

And yes, they still hate Jed.

Is Jed still involved at Solihull Moors? They are flying high in the Conference and we could well be playing them next season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 09:28:42 »

I think the difference these days is that people are actively watching other teams these days.I am still going to games to be fair just not as many. I find myself sitting there bored now or listening to fans arguing. That's pathetic

I still watch Town as often as possible, but living 120 miles away and having access to cheap/free tickets at Watford makes it a pretty good substitute.

Your point about listening to fans argue is interesting. I remember away at AFC Wimbledon a couple of years ago being the worst, but for the last 3-4 season, our fans are so, so negative. Constantly bickering, constantly berating the players. Doesn't stop me going, but does make me think twice sometimes as it's just not an enjoyable atmosphere.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:09:59 »

I still watch Town as often as possible, but living 120 miles away and having access to cheap/free tickets at Watford makes it a pretty good substitute.

Your point about listening to fans argue is interesting. I remember away at AFC Wimbledon a couple of years ago being the worst, but for the last 3-4 season, our fans are so, so negative. Constantly bickering, constantly berating the players. Doesn't stop me going, but does make me think twice sometimes as it's just not an enjoyable atmosphere.
I am the same, living 120 (driving) miles away myself I only attend the local games to me, when well enough so just Yeovil, Exeter and Bournemouth (when we played them) unless I am in the locality already on a trip and a very few home games, but when I go the bickering and moaning from our own fans can indeed put me off, I find if I am sat close to the moaners I will move.

The whole atmosphere at home games especially so, the moaning seems to catch on quickly if we concede but as I stated earlier in this thread...for some being top of the table and winning 5-0 they would still moan and complain, its just when it catches on when we missplace a pass or go a goal down it annoys me much more.

As an example, the last home game I went to some bloke in his 40s stood fairly close to me shouted insults and booed every time Woolery touched the ball shouting stuff like "fuck off back to Wigan (of Forest Green) every single time, he was the same with Bayo too, "fuck off back to Fulham you useless wanker" and actually booed before he even touched the ball.

When the atmosphere is so quiet I am sure some of that must get to the players ears as he always made sure he shouted loudest when it was quietest.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:16:30 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:21:41 »

Full disclosure, I have not set foot in the theatre of nightmares for probably 15-20 years but from the various description which regularly appear on here to suggesting little positive atmosphere, getting on players backs very quickly it sounds fairly fucking toxic these days, could this explain our piss poor home form?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:57:01 »

Is Jed still involved at Solihull Moors? They are flying high in the Conference and we could well be playing them next season.

No, dont think so. The old oxford chairman is.

Jeds at worcester warriors
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:57:23 »

No, he was last seen at Worcester RFU
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:58:13 »

No, he was last seen at Worcester RFU

Rrrrroooooaaaaaarrrrrrr
Peter Venkman

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:02:26 »

Full disclosure, I have not set foot in the theatre of nightmares for probably 15-20 years but from the various description which regularly appear on here to suggesting little positive atmosphere, getting on players backs very quickly it sounds fairly fucking toxic these days, could this explain our piss poor home form?

The whole atmosphere at home games especially so, the moaning seems to catch on quickly if we concede but as I stated earlier in this thread...for some being top of the table and winning 5-0 they would still moan and complain, its just when it catches on when we missplace a pass or go a goal down it annoys me much more.

As an example, the last home game I went to some bloke in his 40s stood fairly close to me shouted insults and booed every time Woolery touched the ball shouting stuff like "fuck off back to Wigan (of Forest Green) every single time, he was the same with Bayo too, "fuck off back to Fulham you useless wanker" and actually booed before he even touched the ball.

When the atmosphere is so quiet I am sure some of that must get to the players ears as he always made sure he shouted loudest when it was quietest.

This sort of ritual "abuse" of our own players has happened on each of  the last 6 home games I have been to over the last couple of years.

The players don't even need to be playing badly to get abuse from several members of the crowd, its just a natural thing with some fans to moan, shout insults and abuse our own players every single game.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:17:12 »

I am the same, living 120 (driving) miles away myself I only attend the local games to me, when well enough so just Yeovil, Exeter and Bournemouth (when we played them) unless I am in the locality already on a trip and a very few home games, but when I go the bickering and moaning from our own fans can indeed put me off, I find if I am sat close to the moaners I will move.

Fans have always moaned since the year dot, and has been like that at the few clubs I've been to as a neutral, some ridiculously so.  Remember being at the City Ground circa 78.  Near end of season , Forest had just been presented with the league title and were playing Brum.... terrible game and ended 0-0.   It was McGovern you're useless, O'Neil  fucking donkey,  Barrett why don't you piss off and sign for Swindon (I made that bit up).  They went on and won two European Cups.

For many they're not even aware they're doing it... it's a kind of catharsis.  If you work in a difficult job, perhaps have unsatisfying personal relationships, it's a socially acceptable way to vent some bad feelings.

Watching Town at the CG for the last couple of years has certainly been a vintage period for those of a moaning tendency.  My take, is at least they're still there, unlike the moaners about moaners who use that as an excuse to lapse.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:21:28 »

Fans have always moaned since the year dot, and has been like that at the few clubs I've been to as a neutral, some ridiculously so.  Remember being at the City Ground circa 78.  Near end of season , Forest had just been presented with the league title and were playing Brum.... terrible game and ended 0-0.   It was McGovern you're useless, O'Neil  fucking donkey,  Barrett why don't you piss off and sign for Swindon (I made that bit up).  They went on and won two European Cups.

For many they're not even aware they're doing it... it's a kind of catharsis.  If you work in a difficult job, perhaps have unsatisfying personal relationships, it's a socially acceptable way to vent some bad feelings.

Watching Town at the CG for the last couple of years has certainly been a vintage period for those of a moaning tendency.  My take, is at least they're still there, unlike the moaners about moaners who use that as an excuse to lapse.
Oh I agree, fans have and will always moan, but the bloke that I was pointing out is a shouter, constantly, all game and even when we score he won't cheer. He stands not far from the Flash in the Town End.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:31:48 »

Oh I agree, fans have and will always moan, but the bloke that I was pointing out is a shouter, constantly, all game and even when we score he won't cheer. He stands not far from the Flash in the Town End.

There'll always be some who aren't the full ticket.... in a big crowd they're less obvious, but in say nowadays TE, they're very obvious.  If it really gets on your wick, then move.... there's plenty of space.   Probably better than trying the voice of reason.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:31:49 »

Does he wear a cap? 
Peter Venkman

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:33:17 »

Does he wear a cap? 
No but he is mid 40's chubby and shaved head with a slight wanabee goatee, I think he is a season ticket holder, which considering the way he moans how much he hates the players, the club and Power is ironic.

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:45:14 »

Thing is it is both sides and it now transfers to twitter and on here. Literally bickering like fuck, you can't even moan at a player without being moaned at any more. I remember shouting out for fuck sake about a wayward pass by Knoyle and some idiot abusing me about being unsupportive  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: