Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crawley pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 49414 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:45:15 »

We seem to have 2, Woolery and Keshi.

True, you can see what Wellens is thinking.... here's from the post match...

“When teams come and bank in, I need that clever player who can move and take one-against-ones and take players on and suck players out of their positions.

“On Saturday, we didn’t really have that clever play when I am giving the team the freedom to play.

I guess he thinks Doughty might be that clever player, who can free up Keshi and Kaiyne, but although interesting is risky.

Flitcroft was a bit more sparing with using them both as starters.... but when he did got some decent away wins like Luton, Yeovil and Crewe, along with some defeats like Grimsby. At home we did beat Cambridge.

Which kind of backs up we're better away than at home with the available personnel, like last season. Wellens task for the remainder of the campaign is to put the home form right starting on Saturday.

OK we know FGR have a bigger budget etc.... but Town fans are not going to take kindly to losing the big derby match with ramifications for the mini league.
REDBUCK

« Reply #316 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:31:19 »

A side should be able to carry one free spirit... and at our level, they will often make wrong decisions, but you want them to still keep trying in the hope that you'll see something come off, more regularly. Keshi's play under Wellens has been a bit better.... and for us it's about small steps he isn't suddenly going to become wonderful... but he could become a more reliable player.

But only if you have players who can cover up the fuck up, blind alleys, lost possession nearly everytime which we don't. Thing is over more than half a season he hasn't even remotely approached becoming a reliable player.

Wilfred Zaha is a free spirit as was Matt Ritchie maybe even Dave Bamber.

REDBUCK

« Reply #317 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:32:40 »

As for Saturday, I wouldn't expect too much, FGR are pretty high scorers on the road and we are very poor at home.
Flashheart

« Reply #318 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:36:03 »

As for Saturday, I wouldn't expect too much, FGR are pretty high scorers on the road and we are very poor at home.

Fuck that. I expect an immediate response to Saturday's shambles. We're a decent team at this level so these cunts had better start performing at home.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:37:25 »

I did actually feel a little sorry for Keshi after the final whistle had gone. Clearly the whole team had played badly but he took the brunt of the abuse from the DRS. He was evidently devastated and held his hand up to apologise a number of times. At least he didn't skulk off down the tunnel and had the balls to applaud the fans after the game.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:53:44 »

I did actually feel a little sorry for Keshi after the final whistle had gone. Clearly the whole team had played badly but he took the brunt of the abuse from the DRS. He was evidently devastated and held his hand up to apologise a number of times. At least he didn't skulk off down the tunnel and had the balls to applaud the fans after the game.
See what you mean but I'm always a bit ambivalent about players applauding the crowd when they've played badly. Personally, I just find it even more irritating, I wish they'd just fuck off down the tunnel. But then I do get that they can't win as for some reason there seems to be an expectation that the players should always applaud the crowd these days. Christ alone knows why, seems a load of bollocks to me tbh
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:04:43 »

All I ask for is a 100% effort, and 100% commitment
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #322 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 14:07:12 »

All I ask for is a 100% effort, and 100% commitment
I think there are very very few players in our history that can say they were 100% commited and 100% effort every game, Shaun Taylor being one of them, not many others though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 15:38:11 »

But only if you have players who can cover up the fuck up, blind alleys, lost possession nearly everytime which we don't. Thing is over more than half a season he hasn't even remotely approached becoming a reliable player.

Wilfred Zaha is a free spirit as was Matt Ritchie maybe even Dave Bamber.

Matt Ritchie, was/is the exact opposite. Bamber yes.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 16:06:09 »

Fuck that. I expect an immediate response to Saturday's shambles. We're a decent team at this level so these cunts had better start performing at home.

We tend to play better against the better teams. Its the 8-2-1 formation cloggers we cant fathom out.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 16:13:40 »

We tend to play better against the better teams. Its the 8-2-1 formation cloggers we cant fathom out.

My old man who first attended in the late 1940's says even from that date we have always beat teams we should lose to and make a habit of losing to teams we are strongly expected to beat.
Flashheart

« Reply #326 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 16:24:09 »

My old man who first attended in the late 1940's says even from that date we have always beat teams we should lose to and make a habit of losing to teams we are strongly expected to beat.

I wonder how true that really is, though. I agree it appears to be that way, but I suspect some statistical analysis might reveal it's just confirmation bias, or something.

Having said that, and I'm going to contradict myself now, we do seem to spend a lot of our time as a big fish in a small pond. Even in the league above we're generally a top 10 team (or should be). I wonder if that would give our opponents more impetus to take a 'big' scalp. I dunno, it may be bollocks.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 17:01:48 »

I wonder how true that really is, though. I agree it appears to be that way, but I suspect some statistical analysis might reveal it's just confirmation bias, or something.

Having said that, and I'm going to contradict myself now, we do seem to spend a lot of our time as a big fish in a small pond. Even in the league above we're generally a top 10 team (or should be). I wonder if that would give our opponents more impetus to take a 'big' scalp. I dunno, it may be bollocks.

Very difficult to do statistically, as how do you define a team you shouild beat.  Sat throws up a classic example... people think we should beat FGR, village team had 1800 for a big game last week, yet reality says something different.

What you can verify is that we've historically been better at home than away, and that some seasons at home have been very strong, occasionally we've put together runs of a few years.  Further we've never gone through a season undefeated at the CG but have only lost the once on 4 occasions I can think of. 

The best run would have been 68/69, 69/70 and then 70/71.   Those 3 seasons we lost 4 home games.... 68/69 to Watford who won the league. 69/70 being the nearest to undefeated as lost to MBoro in April, they finished 4th to our 5th, then 2 in 70/71... Leicester who won the league and Brum.

You would say an average season at the CG should see something like 12 home wins 6 draws and 5 defeats.  We could still do something like that by winning all the remaining home games.  We've had the discussion about why the home form has turned to shit, and everything has been debated from 4D's underpants to Beversbrook. (I made the bit up about 4D, but perhaps time to ask  Hmmm ) and are none the wiser.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #328 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 18:15:45 »

Especially with 11 outfield players Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 18:21:33 »

Doh
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: